Thread: Weekend Cooking and Drinking Thread: Swine Time Edition

vCash

Weekend Cooking and Drinking Thread: Swine Time Edition

Hopefully we see an ass kicking in the state of Arkansas this weekend. I feel good about it. Saturday I'm doing tacos using marinated flank steak and redfish. Sunday I'm smoking a pork shoulder. Should be a fun weekend.

vCash
    Sampling a corona before or 2 tonight before tacos tomorrow. They’re good

vCash
    Not much last night....pretty tired after the first week back at work. Did some double skillet burgers with havarti, and topped them with the last of the leftover chili. Turned out to be very good, but pretty much any meaty, cheesy, chili-fied dish would be.

Keeping things light for the lead up the Thanksgiving, since we are traveling. I have a wild hog ham to start thawing today, and put in the cure on Monday or Tuesday.

vCash
    Cooked a pot of homemade Red Beans and Rice on Friday. Soaked the beans for a day with onions. Placed a ham bone with a lot of meat left on it while it cooked. Simmered and the last hour, placed a pound of Conecuh sausage in the pot. It will be eaten today during halftime. I found that RB&R is just like gumbo,,,,,,it is better after being refrigerated for a day or so.

vCash
    Taco night & Coronas. The meat was flank steak and redfish on the halfshell. Had cilantro, pico, homeaded Smokey chipotle sour cream, and all the fixings

vCash
    Kept it simple tonight. A nice NY strip, baked potato and grilled asparagus with tarragon butter.
    Added some hickory chips to the charcoal for a little added flavor

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    Kept it simple tonight. A nice NY strip, baked potato and grilled asparagus with tarragon butter.
    Added some hickory chips to the charcoal for a little added flavor

Very nice. Love a good strip. I’m on white cans and watching the Aggies now

vCash
    I’ve had my shoulder on a little over an hour and I’m glad I have the igrill2. The probe I have on the surface of the grill is a totally different temp than the temp gauge on the lid. I’m using indirect heat so I figured I’d see a variance but the gauge is on the same side as th fire and it reads 400. The grill’s surface temp on the other side is 250. That 150 degree difference surprised me.

vCash
    Yea, those dome thermometers on the Weber are widely known for not being accurate to the grate temp.

I fussed with temperature and keeping in a certain band for years. Finally I gave up and went straight up hot and fast. Gotta tell yea, I get good results and much less headache. Anything between 250 and 350, and I dont worry about it.