Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Interested in your thoughts on the tax change for ticket donations

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hasu Dackds View Post
    A lot of military in Florida
    Good point too. I'm not sure precisely how those dollars are calculated in this chart. For just the generally poor southern states, I think it's just about the poverty rate requiring a lot of food stamps and welfare programs. From the article:

"Another part of the explanation is easier to discern. The reddest states on that map at the top—Mississippi, Alabama, Louisiana, New Mexico, Maine—have exceptionally high poverty rates and thus receive disproportionately large shares of federal dollars. Through a variety of social programs, the federal government disburses hundreds of billions of dollars each year to maintain a “safety net” intended to help the neediest among us. Consider, for example, the percentage of each state’s residents who get “food stamps” through the federal government’s SNAP program. This chart tells the story."

vCash
    If they double the standard deduction, lower the tax rates, this will likely be a wash for a grad assistant/student. Has anyone truly done the math? The net difference is big for all.

vCash
    Big naval presence in CA too. DOD spending always gets thrown out there but SS and Medicaid/care are the biggest expenditures. We need radical reforms there.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bostondawg View Post
    I was actually really shocked to see that too. That's unbelievable. There's something really up with South Carolina. That's a problem.

Also Florida is a big problem too. I know I'm calling out Mississippi for getting a 3:1 ratio in dollars from the fed, but the MS economy is small. Florida's is massive. So in absolute dollars, we're talking truckloads of cash used to subsidize Florida. If I had to guess, maybe it's because of all of the old people and Medicare?
    Yeah SC is horrendous that?s a serious drain. I?m with you on Florida don?t understand how they are so out of whack with all the $ there. You may be right on the Medicare deal there. My business deals almost exclusively with seniors and we market Florida heavily. Interesting stuff. It?s out of my wheelhouse but gonna research it just out of curiosity.
    Last edited by Commercecomet24; 11-17-2017 at 10:46 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDawgBiscuit View Post
    If they double the standard deduction, lower the tax rates, this will likely be a wash for a grad assistant/student. Has anyone truly done the math? The net difference is big for all.
    Yeah. A lot of people. It would be a 300-400% tax increase for grad students. Luckily Senate Republicans have recognized that and are trying to offset that in their bill. Hopefully the House will be ok with that, should it make it to conference.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Reason2succeed View Post
    Uhh, first of all this really isn?t a left right issue but you just had to go there. Learn to read. Byrne from Alabama and Alexander from LSU are two of the ADs complaining about this. Dang liberals from the east and west coast (of Mississippi).***
    Maybe BAMA and LSU should make some cuts in their Athletic Budget...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MadDawg View Post
    So tuition waivers will be treated just like the more common type of "tuition waiver" - the scholarship?
    No.

Scholarships are actually funded - usually through an endowment of some kind. The dividend off that endowment actually pays the university for the recipient of the scholarship. GA's are providing a service to the university in lieu of a salary. Typically, those GA positions are not endowed although in some cases they are.

To me, the scarier thing is that if this passes, the next step is to start classifying scholarships as income that will be subject to taxes.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Political Hack View Post
    Big naval presence in CA too. DOD spending always gets thrown out there but SS and Medicaid/care are the biggest expenditures. We need radical reforms there.
    That might take care of itself. Lot of boomers will be dead in 10-20 years

vCash
    South Carolina has a lot of military bases along with Paris Island. I don't know if those drive up those Fed dollars but that is still a lot of money going to the state.

vCash
    That might take care of itself. Lot of boomers will be dead in 10-20 years
    The biggest issue with Medicaid/care is the government is paying $35 each for damn Tylenol. The 17ing overhead on the shit is outrageous. If you get hurt without insurance then you basically hope they don't let you die in the parking lot after they get you "stabilized". Afterwards you then probably have to file bankruptcy because the bill could be $100,000.

SS is screwed from the fact that you work your entire life and then draw $250. It is the biggest damn Ponzi scheme in the world.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    No.

Scholarships are actually funded - usually through an endowment of some kind. The dividend off that endowment actually pays the university for the recipient of the scholarship. GA's are providing a service to the university in lieu of a salary. Typically, those GA positions are not endowed although in some cases they are.

To me, the scarier thing is that if this passes, the next step is to start classifying scholarships as income that will be subject to taxes.
    Scholarships already are treated as income if they are more than tuition, books and fees.

vCash
    Scholarships already are treated as income if they are more than tuition, books and fees.
    I wouldn't mind the government treating teacher salaries for government funded schools as tax free. It might create an advantage to get better teachers in the profession. Too many well qualified teachers don't do it because the pay is so low. My sister in law knows a great teacher that just loves kids, she probably doesn't even make minimum wage after the money she spends on kids who don't have anything. We have politicians spending money like it doesn't matter while teachers are taking their pay and buying toilet paper and pencils for their kids. There is a huge problem with how the United States politicians treat our country as a whole. I don't care what side of the isle you are on, it is all screwed up. Politicians have great healthcare and pay for life. That wasn't what the founding fathers dreamed when they created the Constitution.

vCash
    And that is rare. Most scholarships cover some costs, no where near all.

vCash
    You got that right! I got 2 in college, with scholarships and I can vouch for that!

vCash
    Certainly this is true. But there are those that bust their ass and do incredibly well and get "full ride" scholarships. And then they (or their parents) get a rude awakening come tax time and realize a good chunk of that scholarship, the part that pays for room and board and other expenses, is actually taxable. And then the final kick in the nuts is when the IRS classifies that income as "unearned income" because it didn't come from a job and forces the child to pay taxes at the tax rate of the parent. Fun stuff.
    Try explaining to your kid that their scholarship is "unearned income". LOL.
    Last edited by MadDawg; 11-17-2017 at 11:54 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tbonewannabe View Post
    I wouldn't mind the government treating teacher salaries for government funded schools as tax free. It might create an advantage to get better teachers in the profession. Too many well qualified teachers don't do it because the pay is so low. My sister in law knows a great teacher that just loves kids, she probably doesn't even make minimum wage after the money she spends on kids who don't have anything. We have politicians spending money like it doesn't matter while teachers are taking their pay and buying toilet paper and pencils for their kids. There is a huge problem with how the United States politicians treat our country as a whole. I don't care what side of the isle you are on, it is all screwed up. Politicians have great healthcare and pay for life. That wasn't what the founding fathers dreamed when they created the Constitution.
    1) Term Limits
    2) End lifetime pension and healthcare
    3) Campaign finance reform
    4) End PACS
    5) Limit the length of campaigning to 3 months prior to elections
    6) Move elections to weekends & expand early voting and simplify voter registration

6 things that would make major headway in improving government at all levels.

vCash
    Certainly this is true. But there are those that bust their ass and do incredibly well and get "full ride" scholarships. And then they (or their parents) get a rude awakening come tax time and realize a good chuck of that scholarship, the part that pays for room and board and other expenses, is actually taxable. And then the final kick in the nuts is when the IRS classifies that income as "unearned income" because it didn't come from a job and forces the child to pay taxes at the tax rate of the parent. Fun stuff.
    Oh, no doubt. Sounds like you have had fun with Financial Aid!

vCash
    Certainly this is true. But there are those that bust their ass and do incredibly well and get "full ride" scholarships. And then they (or their parents) get a rude awakening come tax time and realize a good chuck of that scholarship, the part that pays for room and board and other expenses, is actually taxable. And then the final kick in the nuts is when the IRS classifies that income as "unearned income" because it didn't come from a job and forces the child to pay taxes at the tax rate of the parent. Fun stuff.
    The United States does such a great job suppressing education for anyone that doesn't come from wealth.

vCash
    I must have clicked on the wrong article. The one I got was how would donations to booster clubs and the like be affected if donations were not tax deductible. Same token, how many luxury boxes would be taken if not tax deductible? The way its set up now, you get the donation less the cost of the benefit you receive in the way of priority.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tbonewannabe View Post
    The problem with public education is that most of the money goes to administration instead of teaching... for every dollar spent on education in Mississippi, less than 25 cents actually goes to the classroom... for example, I have a brother in law that is a principal at an elementary school that has approximately 600 students....makes about $80K, he has his own office, 2 assistant principals, 3 secretaries, a grant writer, a program administrator, a counselor, 8 custodians, speech therapist,school nurse, plus several other admins that I'm not sure what their title is....that is not even counting the staff at the district office. His school also has a on-site workout facility complete with showers and lockers for the staff (not students). He also attends two or three conferences a year at resort locations that are paid for by the district, not to mention the annual summer trip to the Beau Rivage and a few trips to the Jackson Hilton all paid for including mileage. .. He will be able to retire at age 49 with 25 years of service . I'm 50 pay a ton of taxes and can't retire until I'm 67 without getting hit by more taxes and penalties.....and get hit up regularly for money for the school, because they don't have supplies..
    This isn't including the Superintendent/District Office Staff which I'm not even going to get into what all they have.
    Last edited by Leeshouldveflanked; 11-17-2017 at 12:01 PM.