Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Interested in your thoughts on the tax change for ticket donations

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tbonewannabe View Post
    I wouldn't mind the government treating teacher salaries for government funded schools as tax free. It might create an advantage to get better teachers in the profession. Too many well qualified teachers don't do it because the pay is so low. My sister in law knows a great teacher that just loves kids, she probably doesn't even make minimum wage after the money she spends on kids who don't have anything. We have politicians spending money like it doesn't matter while teachers are taking their pay and buying toilet paper and pencils for their kids. There is a huge problem with how the United States politicians treat our country as a whole. I don't care what side of the isle you are on, it is all screwed up. Politicians have great healthcare and pay for life. That wasn't what the founding fathers dreamed when they created the Constitution.
    The bill will also make things worse for the teacher tat your SIL knows:

http://time.com/5017111/gop-tax-plan...er-tax-credit/

vCash
    I give up.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDawgBiscuit View Post
    If they double the standard deduction, lower the tax rates, this will likely be a wash for a grad assistant/student. Has anyone truly done the math? The net difference is big for all.
    Don't you mean, "Has anyone who worked on this bill done the math?"

vCash
    The biggest issue with Medicaid/care is the government is paying $35 each for damn Tylenol. The 17ing overhead on the shit is outrageous. If you get hurt without insurance then you basically hope they don't let you die in the parking lot after they get you "stabilized". Afterwards you then probably have to file bankruptcy because the bill could be $100,000.

SS is screwed from the fact that you work your entire life and then draw $250. It is the biggest damn Ponzi scheme in the world.
    That's not just medicair/caid. That's the entire medical billing industry and practice. I think that billing industry alone accounts for a large part of our inflated medical costs.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hasu Dackds View Post
    A lot of military in Florida
    A lot of retirees that vote in Florida is the answer.

vCash
    Maybe we should address why school tuition keeps outpacing inflation so much and is so expensive. As more Fed dollars have been made available for students tuition keeps going up. It is kind of like insurance for windshield replacement. If I tell the guy I have insurance, the new windshield is $700. If I say I am paying cash, it is $350.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IMissJack View Post
    Maybe we should address why school tuition keeps outpacing inflation so much and is so expensive. As more Fed dollars have been made available for students tuition keeps going up. It is kind of like insurance for windshield replacement. If I tell the guy I have insurance, the new windshield is $700. If I say I am paying cash, it is $350.
    I think there's some truth to that. Also, universities are going overboard on topping each other's non-educational amenities, such as outrageous health clubs and five star student dining rooms.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bostondawg View Post
    I was actually really shocked to see that too. That's unbelievable. There's something really up with South Carolina. That's a problem.

Also Florida is a big problem too. I know I'm calling out Mississippi for getting a 3:1 ratio in dollars from the fed, but the MS economy is small. Florida's is massive. So in absolute dollars, we're talking truckloads of cash used to subsidize Florida. If I had to guess, maybe it's because of all of the old people and Medicare?
    One thing you are forgetting some of the lower receiving federal money states have really high state income tax. The states receiving higher amounts of money from the federal goverment have low state income tax. Why does that matter in this case is because State Income Tax is a write off on you Federal Income Tax. It balances out between all the states. Those state with high income rates are getting their money from their citizens and those citizens are getting their money back from the Federal goverment through the tax write off. The States receiving more from the Federal goverment are getting it directly from the Federal Government.

It's how the States get their money from the Federal is the only difference.

However under the new tax bill those state income tax write off are going away but they are doubling the standern deduction. Which suspect will help more people then having itemize write off.
    Last edited by Jack Lambert; 11-17-2017 at 02:02 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Reason2succeed View Post
    Uhh, first of all this really isn?t a left right issue but you just had to go there. Learn to read. Byrne from Alabama and Alexander from LSU are two of the ADs complaining about this. Dang liberals from the east and west coast (of Mississippi).***
    If you live in Mississippi you had better watch the state and federal senators they are selling you down the creek.
    Last edited by Mimi's Babies; 11-17-2017 at 02:13 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BulldogDX55 View Post
    The bill will also make things worse for the teacher tat your SIL knows:

http://time.com/5017111/gop-tax-plan...er-tax-credit/
    The credit was a whopping $250.00. what good does that do? Many teachers in Mississippi with a family qualify for earned income credit. A teacher is not able to do anything but survive in Mississippi. $35,000.00, 6 years teaching. Can any of you live off that. Probably not.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bostondawg View Post
    No one tell him that those dagum liberals in other states subsidize a ton of Mississippi's programs. Seriously, Mississippi relies on the federal government more than nearly almost every other state. For every dollar that Mississippi sends to the federal government, the fed sends back 3. Without those park-needing and library-needing east and west coast states, Mississippi would still be in the stone age.

Source: https://www.theatlantic.com/business...takers/361668/
    Why is South Carolina getting so much $$?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mimi's Babies View Post
    The credit was a whopping $250.00. what good does that do? Many teachers in Mississippi with a family qualify for earned income credit. A teacher is not able to do anything but survive in Mississippi. $35,000.00, 6 years teaching. Can any of you live off that. Probably not.
    Not to get too technical, but it's not even a $250 credit. It's a $250 adjustment to income, which means all you really save is the tax amount on that $250 income. So for most tax filers, that's 15-25% in tax you are saving depending on your level of income. So basically about $50.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MadDawg View Post
    Not to get too technical, but it's not even a $250 credit. It's a $250 adjustment to income, which means all you really save is the tax amount on that $250 income. So for most tax filers, that's 15-25% in tax you are saving depending on your level of income. So basically about $50.
    It's interesting how big those little things feel when you're dreading the bottom line on tax day.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Leeshouldveflanked View Post
    The problem with public education is that most of the money goes to administration instead of teaching... for every dollar spent on education in Mississippi, less than 25 cents actually goes to the classroom... for example, I have a brother in law that is a principal at an elementary school that has approximately 600 students....makes about $80K, he has his own office, 2 assistant principals, 3 secretaries, a grant writer, a program administrator, a counselor, 8 custodians, speech therapist,school nurse, plus several other admins that I'm not sure what their title is....that is not even counting the staff at the district office. His school also has a on-site workout facility complete with showers and lockers for the staff (not students). He also attends two or three conferences a year at resort locations that are paid for by the district, not to mention the annual summer trip to the Beau Rivage and a few trips to the Jackson Hilton all paid for including mileage. .. He will be able to retire at age 49 with 25 years of service . I'm 50 pay a ton of taxes and can't retire until I'm 67 without getting hit by more taxes and penalties.....and get hit up regularly for money for the school, because they don't have supplies..
    This isn't including the Superintendent/District Office Staff which I'm not even going to get into what all they have.
    I have a buddy that is the same way. He is planning on retiring in the next 10 years since he and his wife will have their 25 years in. One problem is "government" workers most of the time haven't worked in a business setting that worried about ROI or any other Revenue/Expense measurement. They just know that they get a budget of X dollars and if they don't spend it then it gets lowered.

I was hoping that the new President would help with these issues but apparently he is too busy having the American people pay him to go play on his own golf courses. Really brilliant business move by him becoming president. He will probably end up doubling his Net Worth in his 4 years if he gets everything passed that he wants. I hate all politicians.

vCash
    He will probably end up doubling his Net Worth in his 4 years if he gets everything passed that he wants.
    Which would probably put him on the lower end of the spectrum for most politicians that hold major office. But I understand where you are coming from.

vCash
    Which would probably put him on the lower end of the spectrum for most politicians that hold major office. But I understand where you are coming from.
    Which is why I pretty much hate ALL politicians. This country was founded on being a politican was a sacrifice you made for the betterment of your fellow man. Somewhere along the way it became how to leach off of the populace and get rich. All you have to do is be smart enough and sell your soul. It doesn't matter which party, both are as dirty as pigs in slop.

vCash
    This thread ran off the rails but on the bright side Sports has brought us all together as Americans again.
    Death penalty or bust!!!***

Senior Member PSYCHO(thesis)DEFENSE's Avatar
    vCash
    as an MSU grad student with an infant son and a mortgage at least I can rest easy knowing that my 400% tax increase, and the tax increases on my working-class family, will go to those who really need it like private jet owners & corporate CEOs.

vCash
    Not worth the paperwork... for a teacher who only makes $35,000.00 a year.....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Political Hack View Post
    Big naval presence in CA too. DOD spending always gets thrown out there but SS and Medicaid/care are the biggest expenditures. We need radical reforms there.
    Last time I looked you could throw out everything but entitlements and interest payments and we still run a deficit. That isn't sustainable.