Thread: Smoking Pork Shoulder: Tips, Tricks, Recs?

vCash

Smoking Pork Shoulder: Tips, Tricks, Recs?

The ribs went over so well on the new Weber last weekend, this weekend I'm doing some pork shoulder. I've watched some youtube videos and read some for guidance but was wondering if anyone has any tips I should know. Like a brine, some say to do it and some don't. As far as charcoal configuration I'm leaning toward the snake method.

vCash
    No brine required, coat that joker with McCormic Southern Pit BBQ rub and wrap with cling wrap overnight in the fridge.

Use the snake method for the longest burn, keep the top vent full open and use the bottom to regulate temp and flow. I put a very large chunk of hickory about every 4-6 inches around the snake.

Put it on and keep the lid closed for 6 hours. When you check it, should be able to pull the bone out easily, and it will be good to go.

I have cooked several on the kettle, and they turn out just fine.

vCash
    Sapper pretty much nailed it. Big believer in the rub/cling wrap method. I’ve never had luck with the snake. I just pile the coals on one side and use indirect heat. Add wood chips when needed about every 90 minutes. Yes, it means I open the lid, but I usually plan on a 10 hour smoke and it keeps the temp lower and the cook slower. I also always put a pan under the meat with apple cider in it. It catches the drip but also keeps the moisture level up while adding some flavor. Experiment with your wood some. I love the Jack Daniels bourbon barrel chips. Apple wood is good too.

I’ve also changed my resting method too. Wrap that meat in foil, then throw it in a cooler packed with some towels for about an hour. Really allows the meat to get moisture back in.

vCash
    Alright I’m definitely doing the rub cling method now.

Brunswick, talk more about not having luck with the snake method. What drew me to it was how easy it looked on YouTube videos.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeastMan View Post
    Alright I’m definitely doing the rub cling method now.

Brunswick, talk more about not having luck with the snake method. What drew me to it was how easy it looked on YouTube videos.
    I loved the idea of setting it up and walking away for 6 hours, but I've always had problems with the fire going out, or cooking at way to low of a temp and the meat not getting cooked through. I don't know if my wood chunks were too small, or not enough, or I had the airflow wrong or what. Just seems like it is a lot more sensitive to me.

Everyone has their own method that works for them - so this is mine. I use a chimney lighter to light my coals. Place a shallow pan with apple cider underneath where the meat will sit on one side of the grill, then dump/pile my coals on the other side. I keep a water bucket of wood chips on hand soaking and add some to my pile of coals. I have the grill with the hinged ends, so I keep the end over the fire up so I can add coals or wood chips as needed. I plan on anywhere between an 8-10 hour smoke - based on the size of the meat. I check the fire every 90 minutes or so and usually add wood chips every time, and a couple of briquettes every other time. I rotate the meat 180 halfway thru the cook time. At the end, I wrap in foil, and throw in the cooler with towels for an hour.

The best thing about the Weber is you can accelerate the cook time and get one done in 6 hours if you want, but if you aren't careful you can kind of scorch the seasonings and fat and make a sort of crust that sucks. I rarely go that route anymore. I've gotten to that point in life that if I'm going to cook one, I want it to take all day. I'll start the fire at 6:30 am with a bloody mary in hand, and just sip sip sip all day long...

vCash
    I cheat. Electric smoker, 200 cooker temp till internal temp gets 185. Right every time. Peach wood and apple juice in the pan.

ETA: I thought this thread was a tongue in cheek about the AR game lol
    Last edited by Barking 13; 11-17-2017 at 09:43 AM.
    cautiously optimistic

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Barking 13 View Post
    I cheat. Electric smoker, 200 cooker temp till internal temp gets 185. Right every time. Peach wood and apple juice in the pan.

ETA: I thought this thread was a tongue in cheek about the AR game lol
    Is it straight electric? I've wondered about those and pellet fired.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    Is it straight electric? I've wondered about those and pellet fired.
    Yes. I’ll have to go to the shop to get the brand. Just plug it in, put the meat, juice, and wood in, insert theprobe, latch the door, set the temp/timer, and wait. Add a little wood every now and then thru the receptacle.
    cautiously optimistic

vCash
    I'm with Barker, I have an electric smoker with blue tooth, Masterbuilt. Control and check the cooking process with my phone or IPad. Temp is constant and using chips is so easy. Got tire of screwing with charcoal. Low and slow at 225.

As for brine; all pork and chicken gets brined for 24 hours. Then a rub is placed for another 24 hours. The brine will break down the fissures for tenderness and for better absorption of a rub.

When we tailgate, brine Thursday AM, rub is Friday AM, and cook on Saturday.

For a great taste, inject will butter, Tony's, worcestershire, and zesty Italian and then rub.

Note: by looking at the time of this post, opening morning of gun season,,,,,and the wind is blowing like crazy,,,just passing time.