Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Grant Presidential library about ready to open

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Lambert View Post
    Maybe Ole Miss can get old Zachary Taylor's library being he was a Mississippi Resident at the time of his election. He only served one year before dying in the White House of diarrhea. However some do think he might have been poison by pro slavery rivals so Ole Miss may not want it.
    At this point scientist suspect that it was the White House drinking water that killed Taylor along with William Henry Harrison and James K. Polk.
    https://www.mnn.com/health/fitness-w...te-house-water

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    I'm actually shocked that they don't have the Jefferson Davis Presidential Library. Too bad Beauvior beat them to it.
    Well Davis was married to Taylor's daughter.

vCash
    Grant is as much a Mississippi figure as anywhere else, he lived in many places

(1) Parents are from New England
    (2) Born and raised in Ohio, was not fond of Ohio life
    (3) Attended college in West Point, New York
    (4) Did service at Jefferson Barracks in Missouri
    (5) Met his wife in St Louis, Mo
    (6) Got married in St Louis, Mo with Old Pete Longstreet as one of his groomsmen
    (7) Did service in Texas
    (8) Fought in Tamaulipas and Nuevo Leon Mexico with Zachary Taylor
    (9) Fought with Lee, Stonewall, and Winfield Scott in Veracruz and Mexico City campaign
    (10) Did service in California, did not like it
    (11) Moved back to St Louis to farm, could not do it succesfully
    (12) Moved to Galeana, IL to be a shop clerk, sort of liked it
    (13) Volunteered for the Civil War as a colonel
    (14) Fought in the Missouri Civil War theater to clear Southern Missouri
    (15) Fought in Western Tennessee to take Memphis and Fort Donaldson
    (16) Fought to take Corinth, MS (key train Depot)
    (17) Fought to take Vicksburg (fortress on Miss River) and took the Mississippi Capital
    (18) Got Promoted by Lincoln to Eastern Theater of Civil War, Army of Potomac
    (19) Invaded Virginia and drove Lee to surrender at Appomattox
    (20) Nominated by Congress to become the Lieutenant General of Armed Forces in D.C.
    (21) Serves in D.C. and becomes national figure as Andrew Johnson administration withers
    (22) Nominated to presidency and wins
    (23) Lives in D.C
    (24) Post presidency, travels the world with money made on western silver mine, probably a quid pro quo
    (25) Moves to New York City
    (26) Gets flim flammed by an investment scam in New York City, loses his savings
    (27) Writes an autobiography with Samuel Clemens help, living in a beach house in Long Island (I think)
    (28) Dies in New York

As a national figure, he could have his library anywhere. It really makes sense that it be Mississippi since he saved Mississippi. Or it could be in DC because he saved a nation. Grant was about the nation, not a particular place.

He did not hate the south, he just loved the Union and he wanted slavery eliminated. Many of his best friends at West Point and Mexico were Confederate leaders.
    Last edited by The Federalist Engineer; 11-17-2017 at 11:39 AM.

vCash
    Really cool to see you guys taking interest in the presidential library program. This is one of my favorite programs that the National Archives put together. Whenever I travel I always try to hit a prez library if possible. They're always fascinating.

FDR was the first president to dedicate a library to his work. For every president since, the president has chosen a site. It's an enormous honor for a university to get one. Just some that I've been too--LBJ's at UTAustin, GHWB's at TAMU, JFK's in Boston, Clinton's at Arky. And some are very close to universities. Obama's will be in south Chicago, where he worked and near where he went to school at the University of Chicago. Long story short, it's an enormous honor to host one.

vCash
    I've been to the Reagan twice, Nixon once, and Carter. I will visit Grand Rapids next summer and see the Ford museum. Would like to see 41 and 43.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bostondawg View Post
    Really cool to see you guys taking interest in the presidential library program. This is one of my favorite programs that the National Archives put together. Whenever I travel I always try to hit a prez library if possible. They're always fascinating.

FDR was the first president to dedicate a library to his work. For every president since, the president has chosen a site. It's an enormous honor for a university to get one. Just some that I've been too--LBJ's at UTAustin, GHWB's at TAMU, JFK's in Boston, Clinton's at Arky. And some are very close to universities. Obama's will be in south Chicago, where he worked and near where he went to school at the University of Chicago. Long story short, it's an enormous honor to host one.

I do most of my traveling with work and I try to visit some historical sites if possible. I've only been to one presidential library and its one of the more obscure ones. I had some work in Iowa City and while driving across I-80 I saw a sign for the Herbert Hoover library. I left early enough on my way back to the airport to spend a few hours at the library. It was extremely interesting and I learned a lot about Hoover. It's located at his birthplace and they have part of the town preserved, including his birth home and a working blacksmith shop. I hope to see some more libraries soon. Luckily I now live only a few hours from one.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Liverpooldawg View Post
    I'm off on Fridays and the first one I can break away after it opens up I'm headed down to check it out. This is absolutely awesome for MSU. Funny story, I have heard more than one MSU faculty memeber/administrator say that they get asked at conferences how a university in Mississippi got the GRANT library. Before they tell the real story, they all say, "Hey, Mississippi did more to make Grant's career than any other state!" It's a joke but it's actually the truth. If you study his Vicksburg Campaign, it truely was masterful. It was also a testament to persistence and Bulldog determination.
    Grant was drunk the whole time

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckyIsAB**** View Post
    Actually he wasn't. Like most myths there is some grain of truth to it. Grant did have trouble with the hooch at times, but it was almost always when he was underemployed and bored. If he was a drunk during the War, then Lincoln's comment on the subject would certainly apply.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckyIsAB**** View Post
    He was drunk only when he was bored. During war, he stayed sober. Even if he was a drunk, Lincoln said that he was going to buy his brand of whiskey for all his other Generals.