Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grant Presidential library about ready to open

Senior Member Lumpy Chucklelips's Avatar
    vCash

Grant Presidential library about ready to open

and once again as OM is getting negative press by being portrayed as being stuck in the past by an NBC article regarding their holding on to confederate symbolism's, MSU is obtaining positive press for housing the new Ulysses S. Grant Presidential Library amid a 10 million dollar expansion to its library. We sure have come a long way from when OM used to tell the joke about our library burning down and both coloring books being destroyed....and one not even been colored in yet. Shitbirds.

https://www.apnews.com/1c79b8f4c8974...e-in-the-South

eta....didn't realize it at first....click on the picture with Keenum and Grant and you can see a collection of pictures of the entire library. Outstanding.
    Last edited by Lumpy Chucklelips; 11-16-2017 at 10:16 PM.

vCash
    Glad we got it, my only complaint is why could they not open this before the Egg Bowl for visitors to see. And by visitors, I mean me from TX. It might also throw some bad memories on the rebs too.*

vCash
    This. Is. Awesome. We have a ****ing Presidential Library. That is a big ****ing deal, guys and gals.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeardoMSU View Post
    This. Is. Awesome. We have a ****ing Presidential Library. That is a big ****ing deal, guys and gals.
    Hasn't it been there for several years, but just getting a new home?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
    Hasn't it been there for several years, but just getting a new home?
    The collection has been there - and we were designated as the site a few years ago, but the completion of the expansion makes it an ?official? presidential library.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lumpy Chucklelips View Post
    and once again as OM is getting negative press by being portrayed as being stuck in the past by an NBC article regarding their holding on to confederate symbolism's, MSU is obtaining positive press for housing the new Ulysses S. Grant Presidential Library amid a 10 million dollar expansion to its library. We sure have come a long way from when OM used to tell the joke about our library burning down and both coloring books being destroyed....and one not even been colored in yet. Shitbirds.

https://www.apnews.com/1c79b8f4c8974...e-in-the-South
    It seems paradoxical that US Grant would used in this context...
    "It is not courage to resist TUSK; It is courage to accept TUSK."

No.

Easy there buddy. Tusk is...well Tusk is Tusk. Tireddawg 12.20.17

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    The collection has been there - and we were designated as the site a few years ago, but the completion of the expansion makes it an ?official? presidential library.
    Answered before I could. Gracias, Brunswick.

vCash
    General Grant had an affinity for celebratory cigars like General Mullen...

Last edited by The Federalist Engineer; 11-16-2017 at 07:55 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeardoMSU View Post
    Answered before I could. Gracias, Brunswick.
    We History majors keep up with such things.

And as Uncle Joe one time - ?this is a big ****ing deal?. There are only a handful of other universities with Presidential Libraries on campus - A&M has Bush 41, SMU has Bush 43, Tusculum College has Andrew Johnson, Texas has LBJ. MSU could see some intersting spillover from the National Archives and other Federal programs because of it.

vCash
    I'm off on Fridays and the first one I can break away after it opens up I'm headed down to check it out. This is absolutely awesome for MSU. Funny story, I have heard more than one MSU faculty memeber/administrator say that they get asked at conferences how a university in Mississippi got the GRANT library. Before they tell the real story, they all say, "Hey, Mississippi did more to make Grant's career than any other state!" It's a joke but it's actually the truth. If you study his Vicksburg Campaign, it truely was masterful. It was also a testament to persistence and Bulldog determination.

vCash
    This is going to do wonders for us nationally. We will be getting a lot of visitors to our campus solely because of this library and when people visit they can?t help but like us.

Banned
    vCash

And as Uncle Joe one time - ?this is a big ****ing deal?. There are only a handful of other universities with Presidential Libraries on campus - A&M has Bush 41, SMU has Bush 43, Tusculum College has Andrew Johnson, Texas has LBJ. MSU could see some intersting spillover from the National Archives and other Federal programs because of it.
    This. It’s a huge deal.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Pollodawg View Post
    This. It’s a huge deal.
    I’d concur that it may be a “big deal” to get a prez library, but I think choosing Grant wasn’t well thought out if the context is to “outdo” OM re: oppression, slavery, etc.

But I’m no (formally) educated historian....
    "It is not courage to resist TUSK; It is courage to accept TUSK."

No.

Easy there buddy. Tusk is...well Tusk is Tusk. Tireddawg 12.20.17

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TUSK View Post
    I?d concur that it may be a ?big deal? to get a prez library, but I think choosing Grant wasn?t well thought out if the context is to ?outdo? OM re: oppression, slavery, etc.

But I?m no (formally) educated historian....
    That is a your comment on this?..... okay.

vCash
    We didn't choose Grant. Grant chose us.

This ultimately came about because of the scholarship of John Marszalek. Via Wiki: "After John Y. Simon's death in July 2008, Marsazalek was asked to serve as the Executive Director and Managing Editor of the Ulysses S. Grant Association and The Papers of Ulysses S. Grant project. These papers are now located at Mississippi State University." That is how this came to pass.

Dr. M is a legit national treasure and having this presidential library on campus at State will be his legacy. I worked with him on the Distinguished Scholars (now Presidential Scholars) selection committee for years. One of State's greatest ever professors.

vCash
    I’d concur that it may be a “big deal” to get a prez library, but I think choosing Grant wasn’t well thought out if the context is to “outdo” OM re: oppression, slavery, etc.

That wasn’t the context at all. We got it because the professor who is now the director of it was at Mississippi State. He is a top scholar on Grant and really impressed the head of the Grant society at the time they were looking to move it away from SIU. It’s the same guy that just donated all the Lincoln stuff to MSU. MSU went along because it’s a fantastic thing for MSU.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MagicDawg View Post
    We didn't choose Grant. Grant chose us.

This ultimately came about because of the scholarship of John Marszalek. Via Wiki: "After John Y. Simon's death in July 2008, Marsazalek was asked to serve as the Executive Director and Managing Editor of the Ulysses S. Grant Association and The Papers of Ulysses S. Grant project. These papers are now located at Mississippi State University." That is how this came to pass.

Dr. M is a legit national treasure and having this presidential library on campus at State will be his legacy. I worked with him on the Distinguished Scholars (now Presidential Scholars) selection committee for years. One of State's greatest ever professors.
    Very cool background. I'm unbelievably prideful to say we have a presidential library. Tell people that up here and the response is always "wow."

Also very cool that you were/are on the distinguished scholars selection committee. I was upset as a freshman that you didn't choose me***

vCash

Maybe Ole Miss can get old Zachary Taylor's library being he was a Mississippi Resident at the time of his election. He only served one year before dying in the White House of diarrhea. However some do think he might have been poison by pro slavery rivals so Ole Miss may not want it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Lambert View Post
    Maybe Ole Miss can get old Zachary Taylor's library being he was a Mississippi Resident at the time of his election. He only served one year before dying in the White House of diarrhea. However some do think he might have been poison by pro slavery rivals so Ole Miss may not want it.
    I'm actually shocked that they don't have the Jefferson Davis Presidential Library. Too bad Beauvior beat them to it.

vCash

State didn't choose Grant. A foundation chose State.