Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: End of Greek Life @ The Ohio State.

vCash

End of Greek Life @ The Ohio State.

1st shoe to drop across the Fruited Plain
    https://twitter.com/DanWolken/status/931292288315162625

vCash
    Happened at Florida State a week or two ago too. I see people replying to his tweet saying Greek life will just go underground, which made me wonder: What stops students from just forming the fraternity or sorority off campus?

vCash
    That wont last long.

vCash
    Michigan also suspended all Greek life 1-2 weeks ago.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WeWonItAll(Most) View Post
    Happened at Florida State a week or two ago too. I see people replying to his tweet saying Greek life will just go underground, which made me wonder: What stops students from just forming the fraternity or sorority off campus?
    Nothing.
    "It is not courage to resist TUSK; It is courage to accept TUSK."

No.

Easy there buddy. Tusk is...well Tusk is Tusk. Tireddawg 12.20.17

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TUSK View Post
    Nothing.
    Can?t picture you as a frat boy, Tusk lol

vCash

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    Can?t picture you as a frat boy, Tusk lol
    I tricked em...

Pledged Sig Ep at UA in late 80s.... wasn't really my bag, but, at that time, it was a borderline prerequisite for "Tatas & Beer"

No.

Founder of Summer's Eve
    vCash
    Typical liberal response to officially ban something or make illegal to show they care, but actually do nothing to alter the behavior. Yawn. Maybe one day America will wise up to this false caring for society. They will continue to attack all things American and male related until all are neutered or destroyed. The nfl is well on its way to its demise from these same illogical, unsubstantiated ideas. But as long as the groups pushing these social changes can get away with simply ?saying they care? they will continue. No one in the media holds these clowns accountable for all of their policies failing the public they ?intend? to help.

Let?s just look at one that doesn?t involve touchy subject matter, minimum wage. This same liberal ideology preaches raising the minimum wage to help the low skilled worker, but pushed the wages to a point of which you start drawing on more skilled workers who were doing other more difficult manual jobs. Make $15/hr digging trenches or flipping burgers in the AC? Hmmm? And how does this help the low skilled? On the other hand, corporations can spend slightly more on automation and kiosks that never call in sick and eliminate he positions all together. The media touts this as the evil corporations and businessmen hurting the common, low skilled worker.

Why are these negative consequences of the liberal ideology never repeated 24/7 by the media? Ask yourself what ideology also owns and runs the media and you?ll start to understand that 99.9% of this groups ideological ideas and principles. They are actually intended to keep their voter group ignorant and angry, all the while blaming their opposition for the failures of their policies.

This is the most basic and simplistic example of these ideologies and their actual intentions, despite the portrayal of This group ?helping out the little man.?

vCash
    nb4thelock

No.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RougeDawg View Post
    Typical liberal response to officially ban something or make illegal to show they care, but actually do nothing to alter the behavior. Yawn. Maybe one day America will wise up to this false caring for society. They will continue to attack all things American and male related until all are neutered or destroyed. The nfl is well on its way to its demise from these same illogical, unsubstantiated ideas. But as long as the groups pushing these social changes can get away with simply ?saying they care? they will continue. No one in the media holds these clowns accountable for all of their policies failing the public they ?intend? to help.

Let?s just look at one that doesn?t involve touchy subject matter, minimum wage. This same liberal ideology preaches raising the minimum wage to help the low skilled worker, but pushed the wages to a point of which you start drawing on more skilled workers who were doing other more difficult manual jobs. Make $15/hr digging trenches or flipping burgers in the AC? Hmmm? And how does this help the low skilled? On the other hand, corporations can spend slightly more on automation and kiosks that never call in sick and eliminate he positions all together. The media touts this as the evil corporations and businessmen hurting the common, low skilled worker.

Why are these negative consequences of the liberal ideology never repeated 24/7 by the media? Ask yourself what ideology also owns and runs the media and you?ll start to understand that 99.9% of this groups ideological ideas and principles. They are actually intended to keep their voter group ignorant and angry, all the while blaming their opposition for the failures of their policies.

This is the most basic and simplistic example of these ideologies and their actual intentions, despite the portrayal of This group ?helping out the little man.?
    "Typical liberal response"; WTF does that mean?

vCash
    The end of Greek life isn?t some left wing conspiracy or PC crap. I was Greek at MSU, and I can tell you first hand I wouldn?t trade it for anything. Looking back now, I can?t believe no one died. Insurance, risk management, and more importantly the failure of the Greek system to evolve is what will end it. My chapter got in serious trouble when I was at State in the 90s - and then came within a hairs breath of having their charter revoked and being kicked off campus a few years ago. Hazing is a serious problem. Alcohol is a serious problem. Sexual misconduct of many types is a problem. Universities aren?t going to take the risks any longer.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TUSK View Post
    I tricked em...

Pledged Sig Ep at UA in late 80s.... wasn't really my bag, but, at that time, it was a borderline prerequisite for "Tatas & Beer"
    I knew it had to be something other than the Greek life that appealed to you lol

Senior Member Intramural All-American's Avatar
    vCash
    I agree that something needs to be done, but not having Greek life will decrease enrollment at these places. Hard to imagine this will stick.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    The end of Greek life isn?t some left wing conspiracy or PC crap. I was Greek at MSU, and I can tell you first hand I wouldn?t trade it for anything. Looking back now, I can?t believe no one died. Insurance, risk management, and more importantly the failure of the Greek system to evolve is what will end it. My chapter got in serious trouble when I was at State in the 90s - and then came within a hairs breath of having their charter revoked and being kicked off campus a few years ago. Hazing is a serious problem. Alcohol is a serious problem. Sexual misconduct of many types is a problem. Universities aren?t going to take the risks any longer.
    I agree with all of this, but it is extremely disappointing that the chapters aren't making progress in the problem areas. This goes on with all fraternities, some national offices shut down the really bad actors, bring them back to life a few years later trying to do the right thing w/ a new group, new behavior set, etc. Alums end up showing up over time and often decide to help bring things back to the way they used to be and the cycle starts over again. This isn't just an MSU problem as evidenced by Ohio State, Michigan, Florida State, and a recent death of a pledge at LSU. Essentially some of the fraternity national offices are trying to make the changes, but the chapters themselves resist and behave as always once the adults in the room leave campus. Little to no change happens. If college football changed at the same pace we would been have watching Bama and State play in leather helmets Saturday night. The SEC schools will probably be the slowest to change, b/c traditions, good and bad, are held onto very tightly in the South.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RougeDawg View Post

Tell me your opinions on gay marriage, abortion, refugees, sanctuary cities, and transgendered people in the military.

For the love of god, stop turning every thread political. I was president of my fraternity and am liberal as hell.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BulldogDX55 View Post
    Tell me your opinions on gay marriage, abortion, refugees, sanctuary cities, and transgendered people in the military.

For the love of god, stop turning every thread political. I was president of my fraternity and am liberal as hell.
    This.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WeWonItAll(Most) View Post
    I would assume that's the desired endgame from the schools.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nsvltndog View Post
    I agree with all of this, but it is extremely disappointing that the chapters aren't making progress in the problem areas. This goes on with all fraternities, some national offices shut down the really bad actors, bring them back to life a few years later trying to do the right thing w/ a new group, new behavior set, etc. Alums end up showing up over time and often decide to help bring things back to the way they used to be and the cycle starts over again. This isn't just an MSU problem as evidenced by Ohio State, Michigan, Florida State, and a recent death of a pledge at LSU. Essentially some of the fraternity national offices are trying to make the changes, but the chapters themselves resist and behave as always once the adults in the room leave campus. Little to no change happens. If college football changed at the same pace we would been have watching Bama and State play in leather helmets Saturday night. The SEC schools will probably be the slowest to change, b/c traditions, good and bad, are held onto very tightly in the South.
    Interestingly, the school in MS that may have had the hardest time getting hazing under control was MUW. Their 2 Year “Social Clubs” hazed like crazy. When my wife was pledging her club as a Jr., I told her if we did half the shit they did we would be kicked off campus in a heartbeat. As the W admin tried to change it, the alums fought it, and kept pushing the students to do stuff because “tradition” said so - half of which would be some bullshit made up in the 60s. The current president literally had to have a come to Jesus with them and give them the choice of being banned or following the rules.
    Those women are stubborn as hell.

vCash