Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Some Thoughts

vCash

Some Thoughts

- The Tennessee coaching search has increased the value of the MSU coaching job. The mere fact that people are debating in public forums the quality of the MSU job vs the Tennessee job in awesome publicity for MSU. Had we been told this would actually be a debated topic 15 years ago, most everyone would've laughed their ass off. I personally think some of the media is missing the point though. It isn't that the MSU job is better than Tennessee, it's that the current situation at MSU is not worth leaving for a job like Tennessee. For some reason many in the media have missed that point. However, the fact Barrett Sallee & Finebaum addresses this everyday & Peter Burns & others list off the positives & negatives of each job, is great from MSU. Regardless of the outcome, the value of the MSU head coaching job is more valuable now that people realize the truth.

- While we aren't yet there on a consistency basis, we've shown flashes of being a national championship caliber program this season. National titles are won in the trenches, &, in the LSU, Bama, Texas A&M games this season, we have played like a national title contender in the trenches. The style of football we are playing right now is something we need to find a way to bottle up & reproduce over the next 10-20 years. The IDENTITY we have found is MSU football. This is who we are.

- Along those same lines, 5-10 years ago, I viewed the coaching & style of football in Mississippi high schools as a liability & detriment to MSU football. I wanted more spread offenses, more QB & WR development, etc, but, as college football around the country becomes more a 7-7 style of game, I am really appreciating the style of football that is played in Mississippi high schools. The type of players & physicality that Mississippi high schools are now producing is a outlier & competitive advantage for MSU football. Keep it up. As we advance & become more complicated, let's make sure we don't turn into a 7-7 state. Keep teaching kids how to play football the way it was meant to be played. Texas A&M is a tough job because the football culture in that state & the Big 12 influence doesn't prepare the players to compete in the SEC.

- I really want to believe our team will be extremely motivated for these last two games with the carrot of a Citrus Bowl invite & a chance to finish in the top 10 on the line. I realize that Saturday night was emotional & a tough loss, but as the saying goes, "When the stone breaks on the 100th swing of the hammer, it wasn't about the 100th swing, but about the 99 before it.". Boy it just feels like after trying to break the Bama stone for 9 years, we finally swung the hammer & saw the stone crack. The stone didn't break, but it cracked. It may just be me, but I would think that would be massively motivating. After banging your head against the wall for 9 years, it has never been more clear that progress has been made. While we certainly wish the stone would've broken, it's clear that we are on the cusp. Now is not the time to go backwards. Now is the time to stomp a mud hole in the last two team's asses & then go stomp a mud hole in a Big 10 team's ass.

- If Dan Mullen wins a Natty at MSU, where would that rank in the history of college football achievements? Would he be college football's Theo Epstein, who broke the curse of the Red Sox & Cubs? If Dan Mullen wants to go down in history, you do that two ways: 1) By winning numerous national titles like Saban or Meyer or 2) Winning a natty at a place where no one thought that was possible. Those are the two outcomes that make you into a legend that people talk about 50 years from now.

- I really want to see Gruden at Tennessee, I think that would be hilarious. He'll suck.

- It's almost a blessing that Mullen has had so little success vs Bama because it kept his star from rising too fast. The little failures at MSU have created a situation where he has stayed for 9 years & had timte to build the foundation & identity of he program the right way. Now he looks up & says, "Why would I leave?" We can win a natty here.

- It's fun to see the mentality of MSU slowly changing from Mittittippi Tate to people being proud & prideful about what has been built at MSU. The atmosphere last Saturday night was further proof, that this train is rolling down the right path. 5-10 years ago, I'm not sure MSU fans would've had enough pride to tell the national media to 17 off when they talk about our coach leaving, but they do now. MSU fans are now demanding the respect that they never have. In the long term, not only will that attitude help the MSU football program, it will also help the state of MS. Pride & hope can go a long way in making place better. For too long people in Mississippi have looked at themselves as inferior & not fought for what is theirs, but, if somehow college football can help change that, then I'm all for it. Culture beats flash & money everyday. Let's keep building the right culture.
    Last edited by ShotgunDawg; 11-16-2017 at 11:49 AM.

vCash
    Well said

vCash
    Slow Clap
    The Liberation will not be televised--- when it arrives like lightning in the skies!

vCash
    Couple things:

1. We'll be in the top 10 next year. That'll be twice in 4 years. We're starting to make a move up with the program. Damn Sirmon and Loafers set us back a couple years. Look at our recruiting. We're starting pull a lot of LA kids and are getting into TX a little.
    2. Gruden isn't going to TN. But you'll know who is in the next week or so and it's not Mullen.

vCash
    I get told constantly that I can't give you anymore rep points. You have become one of the best posters on the site. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

vCash
    This is your best post ever. Perfectly sums up most people's feelings. I don't know why Dan would ever leave MSU. Both of his kids were born and raised here. His wife loves it here and he is getting paid like a top 10 - 15 coach with the pressure of a top 30 coach. He is finally reaping rewards for all the hard work of building a great program foundation. I know money sometimes changes things but he has one of the best situations of any P5 program especially with UM about to get the hammer.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    Couple things:

1. We'll be in the top 10 next year. That'll be twice in 4 years. We're starting to make a move up with the program. Damn Sirmon and Loafers set us back a couple years. Look at our recruiting. We're starting pull a lot of LA kids and are getting into TX a little.
    2. Gruden isn't going to TN. But you'll know who is in the next week or so and it's not Mullen.
    If not for the Sermon experiment, MSU's last 4 seasons are likely, 10 wins, 8 wins, 8 wins, 9-10 wins. I mean, where does that rank in the country & why isn't that at least somewhat sustainable with a few 6-6 years mixed in for rebuilding years? And once you've built that type of program, you are a 5 turnover game vs Bama from putting yourself in the natty picture.
    Last edited by ShotgunDawg; 11-16-2017 at 11:50 AM.

vCash
    Very well said, Gun! I especially agree with the physicality part. A lot of teams now aren't used to playing extremely physical teams(i.e. the 7 on 7 trend in hs players) and not only does it surprise them it's very intimidating. I love the fact Dan has seemed to get back to a more physical approach with our program. Physical travels well. If your a finesse team and you have an off day, that can spell disaster, when you're a physical team not so much. Whole lot easier to line up and smash people in the mouth than complete 30-40 passes if you're having a flat day.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BulldogBear View Post
    Slow Clap
    He's getting the clap from multiple people.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    Couple things:

I fully expect us to compete for a spot in the playoffs next year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TrapGame View Post
    I fully expect us to compete for a spot in the playoffs next year.
    Gotta beat Auburn at home and either LSU or Bama on the road. We’ll be underdogs in all 3 games.

Then we have to hope that whoever Florida hires, doesn’t miraculously turn around the offense by the time we play them.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    Gotta beat Auburn at home and either LSU or Bama on the road. We’ll be underdogs in all 3 games.

Then we have to hope that whoever Florida hires, doesn’t miraculously turn around the offense by the time we play them.
    Florida is a dumpster fire. I'm not worried about Florida at all. They'd need a miracle to turn that program around enough to beat us at home next September. Auburn is up and down depending on the Saturday. Luckily we get them at home and we will be amped for that one. LSU will always be vulnerable as long as O is head coach. Yeah, its' in BR but we've won there in very recent memory. Alabama in Tuscaloosa will be by far our toughest game next season.

This team is going to be very special next season. We have the pieces in place to actually, seriously compete for a playoff spot.

Senior Member Lumpy Chucklelips's Avatar
    vCash
    Great post Shotgun. I'll also add, what Dan has done as far as the head coaching position at MSU is show other coaches that you can win at MSU on a consistent basis. Until he got here that was not the case. What he has also shown other coaches is that the pressure that a coach at MSU will face is nothing compared to the pressure and demands that a head coach at Tenn, Fla, A&M or Auburn will face. Don't think that doesn't matter. I hope Dan retires here in 20 years, but if he doesn't, he has made the head coaching position at MSU a very, very valuable position. President Keenum and John Cohen deserve some credit for this as well. If it ever comes open, Cohen will have his choice of some really good coaches because of the value of the position that Dan has created.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    - I really want to believe our team will be extremely motivated for these last two games with the carrot of a Citrus Bowl invite & a chance to finish in the top 10 on the line. I realize that Saturday night was emotional & a tough loss, but as the saying goes, "When the stone breaks on the 100th swing of the hammer, it wasn't about the 100th swing, but about the 99 before it.". Boy it just feels like after trying to break the Bama stone for 9 years, we finally swung the hammer & saw the stone crack. The stone didn't break, but it cracked. It may just be me, but I would think that would be massively motivating. After banging your head against the wall for 9 years, it has never been more clear that progress has been made. While we certainly wish the stone would've broken, it's clear that we are on the cusp. Now is not the time to go backwards. Now is the time to stomp a mud hole in the last two team's asses & then go stomp a mud hole in a Big 10 team's ass.

This is my hope also - to see the team finish this season like champions and not to fail to carry through to the end. Doing so will absolutely carry over into next year and that is what we need if we are to contend in the SECW next year.

I am really optimistic right now. And happy I do not pull for Arkansas, because I believe it will not be a good weekend to be a piggy person - if it ever is.

vCash
    I have seen a lot of TN talking heads saying Gruden is #1, and is at least going to hear the offer. Most of these same people are claiming Mullen is #2 and has called and expressed interest in the job.

I hope this is as much BS as the Ole Miss talking heads spew.

Let's all hope they actually hire Gruden. Because, yes, he will be terrible, and secondly, we don't have to find out who their #2 guy really is.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PMDawg View Post
    I have seen a lot of TN talking heads saying Gruden is #1, and is at least going to hear the offer. Most of these same people are claiming Mullen is #2 and has called and expressed interest in the job.

I hope this is as much BS as the Ole Miss talking heads spew.

Let's all hope they actually hire Gruden. Because, yes, he will be terrible, and secondly, we don't have to find out who their #2 guy really is.
    That's wishful thinking on their part. I'm sure someone around here would have heard something by now if that phone call was actually made.

vCash
    That's wishful thinking on their part. I'm sure someone around here would have heard something by now if that phone call was actually made.
    I think a lot of UT people still think it is the 90s. MSU has been a better program for the last decade. UT isn't one of the top programs any more. MSU has a better recruiting base, better administration, better fan support (Saturday night is a better atmosphere than Knoxville), better fan expectations, and our facilities are currently better. Just because you have a big stadium doesn't mean the facility is actually better if all you have is capacity.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tbonewannabe View Post
    I think a lot of UT people still think it is the 90s. MSU has been a better program for the last decade. UT isn't one of the top programs any more. MSU has a better recruiting base, better administration, better fan support (Saturday night is a better atmosphere than Knoxville), better fan expectations, and our facilities are currently better. Just because you have a big stadium doesn't mean the facility is actually better if all you have is capacity.
    They've been through Kiffen, Dooley and Butch in a 9 year period and that program is a dumpster fire. They are now at the point of a major rebuild. It's not the coach, it's the culture. The same thing for Florida too.

vCash
    You are correct about Texas High School Football. Most big high schools run something that looks like a cross between Baylor and TCU. On offense they spread out everyone with multiple receivers and try to throw the ball. I'm speaking in generalities of course. But on the whole I have not seen nearly as much physical defensive football as in the Deep South. Same for running the ball through the middle for tough yardage.

vCash
    They've been through Kiffen, Dooley and Butch in a 9 year period and that program is a dumpster fire. They are now at the point of a major rebuild. It's not the coach, it's the culture. The same thing for Florida too.
    This! The culture in some of these places is pure toxic. How would a head coach fix that? I Don't know. It would have to be someone that commands enough respect to tell them I'm gonna run it my way and the rest of y'all have to get out of the way. I don't know how many coaches out there have that kind of power(outside of Saban).