Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: As if the Confederates needed more publicity...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgology View Post
    I balked when it called Ole Miss the state's flagship university but then it notes at the bottom of the article that the author is a graduate of Ole Miss. Go figure.
    They meant Confederate stick-flagship.

vCash
    That flagship is taking on more water with each passing day.

Senior Member THE Bruce Dickinson's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Liverpooldawg View Post
    I’m shocked that one of their own wrote it, but it’s a good article. Ole Miss hasn’t changed, not deep down. They try to hide it a bit now, but it’s still Ole Miss.
    That articles infers that Ole Miss is a place where minority students can't walk around at night for fear that they might be attacked because of their race. It also puts conservatives in the same sentence as people trying to protect white heritage inferring racists.

Ole Miss has some issues but that article is completely agenda driven

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    2015 African-American % at SEC schools http://www.themaneater.com/stories/p...cial-diversity

Auburn 6.9%
    Bama 12%
    Ark 5.1%
    UF 6.63%
    UGA 7.6%
    LSU 11.7%
    UK 6.6%
    Miss 13.4%
    Miss St 21%
    MO - 7%
    USC -10%
    UT- 7.3%
    Vandy - 8.4%

Not to defend OM - but they are #2 in the SEC behind us....
    You can't just throw out other non-Mississippi schools and compare them. What's the population in MS? Is it consistent? The answer is no. Outside of athletes, black students are not finding good reasons to attend Ole Miss. Given their history and refusal to acknowledge minority students who are harassed, I can certainly understand why.

vCash
    It never ceases to amaze me the number of “Dawgs” that rush to defend Ole Miss.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    2015 African-American % at SEC schools http://www.themaneater.com/stories/p...cial-diversity

Auburn 6.9%
    Bama 12%
    Ark 5.1%
    UF 6.63%
    UGA 7.6%
    LSU 11.7%
    UK 6.6%
    Miss 13.4%
    Miss St 21%
    MO - 7%
    USC -10%
    UT- 7.3%
    Vandy - 8.4%

Not to defend OM - but they are #2 in the SEC behind us....
    Good point. Very illuminating.

vCash
    It never ceases to amaze me the number of “Dawgs” that rush to defend Ole Miss.
    It is indeed fascinating.

vCash
    Where is the outrage over the schools name "Ole Miss Rebels"?

Why isn't the media after them to change it. It's racist...

Welcome Mississippi Land Sharks..

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Crucifictorious View Post
    And an article about MSU that shows how awesome we are: https://apnews.com/1c79b8f4c8974576a3f072b5f204532a
    If you think about this, it?s truely amazing that this is not only in Mississippi, but that the state spent money on it. MSU has embraced this like we have few things in the past. I can?t wait to go see it. I will very soon.

vCash
    Maybe they just wanted a law degree. Maybe they wanted to become a doctor. Maybe that's the only school they could get into for their masters.

If you want to go to a particular university, why would you give up on your dream and settle just because of that? We aren't living in those days anymore. It's not like racism is centralized to Oxford. If you honestly can't recognize that they do actually have some decent programs you should get your head out of the sand. I'm no OM fan either but it's really not that hard to look past for the betterment of yourself when it comes to education.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fishwater99 View Post
    Where is the outrage over the schools name "Ole Miss Rebels"?

Why isn't the media after them to change it. It's racist...

Welcome Mississippi Land Sharks..
    There is no nuance as to why they named their athletic teams the "Rebels", nor why they wear grey uniforms from time to time. It pretty crazy, actually....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    That flagship is taking on more water with each passing day.

vCash
    I hope OM gets the death penalty in sports, but I can recognize a communist article when I see one.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Political Hack View Post
    You can't just throw out other non-Mississippi schools and compare them. What's the population in MS? Is it consistent? The answer is no. Outside of athletes, black students are not finding good reasons to attend Ole Miss. Given their history and refusal to acknowledge minority students who are harassed, I can certainly understand why.
    I was just trying to show the SEC as a whole.
    None of the schools are in line with their state-wide demographics. MS has the highest AA population at 37%, Missouri has the lowest at 12%. Most SEC states are in the 20s range. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List...can_population

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryBuff View Post
    Maybe they just wanted a law degree. Maybe they wanted to become a doctor. Maybe that's the only school they could get into for their masters.

If you want to go to a particular university, why would you give up on your dream and settle just because of that? We aren't living in those days anymore. It's not like racism is centralized to Oxford. If you honestly can't recognize that they do actually have some decent programs you should get your head out of the sand. I'm no OM fan either but it's really not that hard to look past for the betterment of yourself when it comes to education.
    I bet a lot go there because they get more scholarship money so it ends up cheaper than other places. HBCU aren't exactly respected when it comes to their degrees. I know some have good programs but for the most part, the degree is worth considerably less than a degree from MSU, USM, or Ole Miss. For someone that actually takes academics and their future career more seriously, they probably look more at the other more prestigious schools and choose which is the best for them. Whether the choice is driven by cost, distance from home, or other factors, some black students choose to go there and probably hope they can improve it. The article sounded like the one student involved with the NAACP went there to instigate change. As bad as I hate UM, the state of MS needs them to change. That dumbass school impacts the state's national image. Hell, ESPN gets us confused so if we are recruiting minority students from other parts of the country, UM's negative image can impact how they think they might be treated in Mississippi. The only other alternative is to burn the place down Sherman style which I am ok with.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Federalist Engineer View Post
    I hope OM gets the death penalty in sports, but I can recognize a communist article when I see one.
    Lolz

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryBuff View Post

We have as many or more people in medical school. You don’t have to go to Oxford to become a doctor.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnson85 View Post
    "Only 13%" is probably pretty high among the non HBCU 4 year universities. Well behind state, but it's not like African Americans are avoiding the school like the plague.
    Looking and I see UGA is at 8.1% black, Bama is 11.1%, Auburn is 6.6% , FL is 6.4%- I didn't look up any others, but I'd say you're probably right.

vCash
    It never ceases to amaze me the number of ?Dawgs? that rush to defend Ole Miss.
    I don't think pointing out that their AA population is not crazy out of line with other SEC schools is defending Ole Miss.

It's certainly not "defending them" to note that comparing their AA population to the AA population of the state is not a reasonable method for determining whether the university is unwelcoming to AA students. The racial breakdown of roughly college age students in a state who are reasonably prepared to go to a four year university is, due largely to past practices in most (all?) SEC states, very unlikely to match the overall demographic of the State.

I'm sure Ole Miss's AA population is lower than it would be if it were not for their past and current attitudes, but they are not any more out of line than Auburn is, and to my knowledge Auburn does not have anything like the racial baggage ole miss has. Same goes for USC, although USC did have those ass hat students (or sidewalk fans) on Borat...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnson85 View Post
    I don't think pointing out that their AA population is not crazy out of line with other SEC schools is defending Ole Miss.

It's certainly not "defending them" to note that comparing their AA population to the AA population of the state is not a reasonable method for determining whether the university is unwelcoming to AA students. The racial breakdown of roughly college age students in a state who are reasonably prepared to go to a four year university is, due largely to past practices in most (all?) SEC states, very unlikely to match the overall demographic of the State.

I'm sure Ole Miss's AA population is lower than it would be if it were not for their past and current attitudes, but they are not any more out of line than Auburn is, and to my knowledge Auburn does not have anything like the racial baggage ole miss has. Same goes for USC, although USC did have those ass hat students (or sidewalk fans) on Borat...
    Yes it is.