Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: As if the Confederates needed more publicity...

vCash

As if the Confederates needed more publicity...

Out comes this article from NBC on their ties to the confederacy, and the resistance in disassociating itself from the past. I didn't realize they only had a 13% African-American undergrad population.

vCash
    I balked when it called Ole Miss the state's flagship university but then it notes at the bottom of the article that the author is a graduate of Ole Miss. Go figure.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgology View Post
    I balked when it called Ole Miss the state's flagship university but then it notes at the bottom of the article that the author is a graduate of Ole Miss. Go figure.
    They don't seem to understand how pathetic it is to actively push yourself as a "flagship" when you're consistently rated only the 3rd or 4th best institution in your state.

Senior Member THE Bruce Dickinson's Avatar
    vCash
    I disliked a lot about that article.

I think that the university should try to change their image and get rid of some of the symbols from the past that are clearly stemmed from racism. However I really did not like the overall tone of that article.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SailingDawg View Post
    Out comes this article from NBC on their ties to the confederacy, and the resistance in disassociating itself from the past. I didn't realize they only had a 13% African-American undergrad population.
    And it’s dropping. I wonder why?****

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bruce Dickinson View Post
    I disliked a lot about that article.

I think that the university should try to change their image and get rid of some of the symbols from the past that are clearly stemmed from racism. However I really did not like the overall tone of that article.
    I’m shocked that one of their own wrote it, but it’s a good article. Ole Miss hasn’t changed, not deep down. They try to hide it a bit now, but it’s still Ole Miss.
    Last edited by Liverpooldawg; 11-16-2017 at 09:04 AM.

vCash
    I noticed they did it twice. As has been said, if you have to keep telling everyone that you are "the flagship" then you are not. If we ever get so pathetic that we keep spouting "flagship" over and over I will be pissed.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by thf24 View Post
    They don't seem to understand how pathetic it is to actively push yourself as a "flagship" when you're consistently rated only the 3rd or 4th best institution in your state.
    No shit. Tywin needs to set them straight....

vCash

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SailingDawg View Post
    "Only 13%" is probably pretty high among the non HBCU 4 year universities. Well behind state, but it's not like African Americans are avoiding the school like the plague.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnson85 View Post
    "Only 13%" is probably pretty high among the non HBCU 4 year universities. Well behind state, but it's not like African Americans are avoiding the school like the plague.
    I've often wondered why african american students decide to go to Ole Miss in light of what the university represents in old south mentaility.

vCash
    I've often wondered why african american students decide to go to Ole Miss in light of what the university represents in old south mentaility.
    Because AA are individual people that can think independently. Therefore some people do not get caught up in race baiting.

vCash
    And an article about MSU that shows how awesome we are: https://apnews.com/1c79b8f4c8974576a3f072b5f204532a

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Crucifictorious View Post
    And an article about MSU that shows how awesome we are: https://apnews.com/1c79b8f4c8974576a3f072b5f204532a
    Absolutely.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Maroonthirteen View Post
    Because AA are individual people that can think independently. Therefore some people do not get caught up in race baiting.
    Race baiting huh?

Listen, you are correct in your first assertion. But there are a few minority scholarships that are available for selected majors because their AA population is so little. At least it was that way when i graduated high school. Truth be told...after you've lived 17-18 years of your life in a world dominated by some of the notions present there at OM...what's another 4 years?

Banned
    vCash
    Because most people don't care about the stupid SJW agendas. They simply want to get educated and go make a living.

vCash
    ?Flagship? is racist. You can google the history of ?flagship? as a term for college education in Mississippi.

In olden days, the state of MS declared the big 3 colleges to ALL be flagships. This term was used to set them apart from the black colleges.

Those times are long gone but not forgotten in Oxford. Why does Ole Miss insist on hanging on to a term which was invented to distinguish them from HSBUs?

vCash
    When your state is 37% black, that's pretty low.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Maroonthirteen View Post
    I guess....if you want to give your money to support that type of thing more power to you. I chose not to. Not really much of a race baiting thing as it is a right-and-wrong thing.

I was simply referring to the fact that in that article they interviewed students who were offended by the symbols around that campus yet those same students knowingly chose to attend the university. Maybe they didn't take a tour first, or look at the website, or read an article about tsun and it suprised them. I don't know.

vCash
    2015 African-American % at SEC schools http://www.themaneater.com/stories/p...cial-diversity

Auburn 6.9%
    Bama 12%
    Ark 5.1%
    UF 6.63%
    UGA 7.6%
    LSU 11.7%
    UK 6.6%
    Miss 13.4%
    Miss St 21%
    MO - 7%
    USC -10%
    UT- 7.3%
    Vandy - 8.4%

Not to defend OM - but they are #2 in the SEC behind us....