Quote Originally Posted by Tbonewannabe View Post
Too many people now have knee jerk reactions to anything that isn't strictly liberal/conservative depending on your leanings. It isn't liberal to hope that all Mississippians have a chance at higher education and to improve their position in life. It also isn't conservative to hope that reverence for Old South imagery is kept around. I think plenty of conservatives hope that we can get rid of the things that divide us. Not many Mississippians want to look back on old times not forgotten with happiness. For the most part, that is a black spot on our state's history similar to Germany during Hitler's reign.
Well said T-bone. What's hilarious is my D.C. friends think I'm super conservative and my MS friends think I'm super liberal. Depending on where I am I find myself providing the counter argument.

I think this is a pretty open and shut case though. OM has had poor race relations since the civil rights era and it's something that continues to plague them. Despite this, they refuse to force progress in many areas out of fear of pissing off their big money donors. To me, in short, that means they're essentially selling racism at this point. I don't know how anybody could look at it any other way. There are a few major reasons why I dislike that institution so much, but the perpetual black eye they continually dole out to the State of Mississippi is the main reason. Hey UofM, it's 20(17ig)17.