Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: As if the Confederates needed more publicity...

vCash
    An when you throw in the number of foreign students, MSU is by far one of the most diverse universities in the country....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tbonewannabe View Post
    Too many people now have knee jerk reactions to anything that isn't strictly liberal/conservative depending on your leanings. It isn't liberal to hope that all Mississippians have a chance at higher education and to improve their position in life. It also isn't conservative to hope that reverence for Old South imagery is kept around. I think plenty of conservatives hope that we can get rid of the things that divide us. Not many Mississippians want to look back on old times not forgotten with happiness. For the most part, that is a black spot on our state's history similar to Germany during Hitler's reign.
    Well said T-bone. What's hilarious is my D.C. friends think I'm super conservative and my MS friends think I'm super liberal. Depending on where I am I find myself providing the counter argument.

I think this is a pretty open and shut case though. OM has had poor race relations since the civil rights era and it's something that continues to plague them. Despite this, they refuse to force progress in many areas out of fear of pissing off their big money donors. To me, in short, that means they're essentially selling racism at this point. I don't know how anybody could look at it any other way. There are a few major reasons why I dislike that institution so much, but the perpetual black eye they continually dole out to the State of Mississippi is the main reason. Hey UofM, it's 20(17ig)17.

vCash
    Too many people now have knee jerk reactions to anything that isn't strictly liberal/conservative depending on your leanings. It isn't liberal to hope that all Mississippians have a chance at higher education and to improve their position in life. It also isn't conservative to hope that reverence for Old South imagery is kept around. I think plenty of conservatives hope that we can get rid of the things that divide us. Not many Mississippians want to look back on old times not forgotten with happiness. For the most part, that is a black spot on our state's history similar to Germany during Hitler's reign.
    We lost the Civil War. It's over Ole Miss Rebels... We have museums for you confederates.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fishwater99 View Post
    We lost the Civil War. It's over Ole Miss Rebels... We have museums for you confederates.
    You don't see many monuments to the losing cause except maybe in museums, where I think it does belong. You don't see any monuments to Nazis in Germany, it is even illegal to have swatstikas. I am not completely sure how I feel about that. On one hand, everyone should be free to be a total asshole human being if it doesn't actually hurt anyone. On the flip side, having that type of hate speech (as Germany defines it) does have a negative impact on peoples environments. I imagine jewish people feel the way about those as black people feel about the KKK's burning crosses.

vCash
    Very well said!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Political Hack View Post
    Well said T-bone. What's hilarious is my D.C. friends think I'm super conservative and my MS friends think I'm super liberal. Depending on where I am I find myself providing the counter argument.

I think this is a pretty open and shut case though. OM has had poor race relations since the civil rights era and it's something that continues to plague them. Despite this, they refuse to force progress in many areas out of fear of pissing off their big money donors. To me, in short, that means they're essentially selling racism at this point. I don't know how anybody could look at it any other way. There are a few major reasons why I dislike that institution so much, but the perpetual black eye they continually dole out to the State of Mississippi is the main reason. Hey UofM, it's 20(17ig)17.
    Good post, Hack.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Political Hack View Post

I love Mississippi, I love the people of Mississippi, its my home. We have had our share of problems but it's still my home and I'm proud of it. I'm like you, Hack, I'm tired of unm constantly destroying what the rest of us have tried to build, and they've been doing it for years. They're still living in the 1860's while the rest of us are here in 2017. Its sickens me every time they do something to make us look bad.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    I love Mississippi, I love the people of Mississippi, its my home. We have had our share of problems but it's still my home and I'm proud of it. I'm like you, Hack, I'm tired of unm constantly destroying what the rest of us have tried to build, and they've been doing it for years. They're still living in the 1860's while the rest of us are here in 2017. Its sickens me every time they do something to make us look bad.
    Couldn't agree more.