Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: As if the Confederates needed more publicity...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnson85 View Post
    I don't think pointing out that their AA population is not crazy out of line with other SEC schools is defending Ole Miss.

It's certainly not "defending them" to note that comparing their AA population to the AA population of the state is not a reasonable method for determining whether the university is unwelcoming to AA students. The racial breakdown of roughly college age students in a state who are reasonably prepared to go to a four year university is, due largely to past practices in most (all?) SEC states, very unlikely to match the overall demographic of the State.

I'm sure Ole Miss's AA population is lower than it would be if it were not for their past and current attitudes, but they are not any more out of line than Auburn is, and to my knowledge Auburn does not have anything like the racial baggage ole miss has. Same goes for USC, although USC did have those ass hat students (or sidewalk fans) on Borat...
    Ok, we'll just compare it to the other in-state SEC school. 21-13

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeardoMSU View Post
    There is no nuance as to why they named their athletic teams the "Rebels", nor why they wear grey uniforms from time to time. It pretty crazy, actually....
    Exactly...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Political Hack View Post
    Ok, we'll just compare it to the other in-state SEC school. 21-13
    That's the significant thing. That large of a gap makes it very clear where African-Americans in the state prefer to go.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fishwater99 View Post
    Exactly...
    They also got rid of the chancellor trying to change things like getting rid of the Ole Miss name and playing Dixie.

vCash
    And further along with that ....AA athletes with offers from many P5 schools.

If the ONLY THING offered was a scholarship...they would not be able to field a team anywhere near SEC level.

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgology View Post
    I've often wondered why african american students decide to go to Ole Miss in light of what the university represents in old south mentaility.

vCash
    The general population of our country is only a little over 13% African American. So, any school not at 13% or so is below the national average from a comparison standpoint.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    2015 African-American % at SEC schools http://www.themaneater.com/stories/p...cial-diversity

Auburn 6.9%
    Bama 12%
    Ark 5.1%
    UF 6.63%
    UGA 7.6%
    LSU 11.7%
    UK 6.6%
    Miss 13.4%
    Miss St 21%
    MO - 7%
    USC -10%
    UT- 7.3%
    Vandy - 8.4%

Not to defend OM - but they are #2 in the SEC behind us....
    Bama and Georgia have 2 and 3 times the population we have also
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    You also have to look at how tough it is to get into the various schools. Isn't MSU and UM's requirements for admission lowered due to the Ayers lawsuit dealing with the HBCUs in MS? Other SEC schools might have higher standards which make it harder for minority students to get into schools. African American dominated school systems are typically not as high performing. Several reasons for it but it causes kids to be behind the 8 ball when trying to get into college.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    Total population of the state has nothing really to do with this. The question is - does the make up of student body reflect the population of the state? The fact is, we are the only school in the SEC that has a diverse enough student body that is anywhere close to reflecting the actual population of the state. With a larger population base, Alabama and Georgia should have more African-American students then they do since they have a large population pool to draw from. As Cooter points out - A/A make up 13% of the total US population - so even if you set that as a marker (which is well below the percentage of A/A population in every SEC state but Missouri), the SEC as a whole is still does not reflect the population of the country.

Now, don't confuse this as an argument that OM is doing something special, or something that should be applauded. The article is spot on in the way race and the Lost Cause still influences life on the OM campus. It's not unique to OM - I've heard similar feelings from students at UGA and Bama and other large state universities. Where the author errs is singling OM out as poor example of racial diversity when the reality is - as whole - the Universities in MS have done a better job then any other schools in the SEC in serving the minority populations of their states when you look at the statistics.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Liverpooldawg View Post
    And it?s dropping. I wonder why?****
    Surely not. It's such a beautiful,magical place that EVERYBODY is dying to go to. **
    Not only did Mississippi State embarrass LSU on this night. Davis Wade Stadium wrecked Tiger Stadium in music choice, atmosphere and, most of all, volume.

When I'm 80 and deaf, it's not going to be all those Springsteen concerts or Queen at Municipal Auditorium in New Orleans on Halloween Night in 1978, it will be this game...............Glen Guilbeau--Sherveport Times

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hasu Dackds View Post
    Because most people don't care about the stupid SJW agendas. They simply want to get educated and go make a living.
    Yep, the article interviewed a girl who said she went because she got a full ride, against her parents wishes. Sounds like she doesn't care for it, but it's a sholarship
    Not only did Mississippi State embarrass LSU on this night. Davis Wade Stadium wrecked Tiger Stadium in music choice, atmosphere and, most of all, volume.

When I'm 80 and deaf, it's not going to be all those Springsteen concerts or Queen at Municipal Auditorium in New Orleans on Halloween Night in 1978, it will be this game...............Glen Guilbeau--Sherveport Times

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    2015 African-American % at SEC schools http://www.themaneater.com/stories/p...cial-diversity

Auburn 6.9%
    Bama 12%
    Ark 5.1%
    UF 6.63%
    UGA 7.6%
    LSU 11.7%
    UK 6.6%
    Miss 13.4%
    Miss St 21%
    MO - 7%
    USC -10%
    UT- 7.3%
    Vandy - 8.4%

Not to defend OM - but they are #2 in the SEC behind us....
    That goes along with what this nut said a few years back when I asked his white trash ass why he liked OM, since he had never been on campus, and couldn't name a player other than the QB and only the HC? His reply...... "cause they ain't a N****R school"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Liverpooldawg View Post
    Yes it is.
    I don't get why MSU fans would want to push a standard where MSU is just "less racist" than Ole Miss. That's essentially what comparing their AA population to the state's does.

It's so easy to point out the origin of the term "Ole Miss", their mascots, the incidents they keep having on campus, etc. Why would you want to make an argument that MSU and Ole Miss both fall short when it comes to AA students, but state doesn't fall short as badly? I don't think there's any evidence that that's the case.

vCash
    I hate OM more than anyone but this thread is PC garbage

Senior Member THE Bruce Dickinson's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckyIsAB**** View Post
    Agreed.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnson85 View Post
    I don't get why MSU fans would want to push a standard where MSU is just "less racist" than Ole Miss. That's essentially what comparing their AA population to the state's does.

It's so easy to point out the origin of the term "Ole Miss", their mascots, the incidents they keep having on campus, etc. Why would you want to make an argument that MSU and Ole Miss both fall short when it comes to AA students, but state doesn't fall short as badly? I don't think there's any evidence that that's the case.
    I think MSU does a good job with diversity. Comparing our stats to someone like the University of Texas, in 2014 had a 4% enrollment of black students. The state of Texas is 11% black. I wonder if you took out all the black athletes what the percentage would go down to. MSU seems to do a better job than most in P5 conferences and UM actually doesn't do a bad job in comparison to other P5 schools.

Mississippi schools get a bad reputation because the entire state is deemed racist by media and the lingering Old South imagery that places like Ole Miss still perpetuate. Their dumbasses actually hurt MSU's image just from being in the same damn state.

vCash
    but this thread is PC garbage
    I'm sorry OM losin' dur "tradishuns" hurts your feelings, Bucky.***

vCash
    Calling out racism is PC garbage?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Political Hack View Post
    Calling out racism is PC garbage?
    Too many people now have knee jerk reactions to anything that isn't strictly liberal/conservative depending on your leanings. It isn't liberal to hope that all Mississippians have a chance at higher education and to improve their position in life. It also isn't conservative to hope that reverence for Old South imagery is kept around. I think plenty of conservatives hope that we can get rid of the things that divide us. Not many Mississippians want to look back on old times not forgotten with happiness. For the most part, that is a black spot on our state's history similar to Germany during Hitler's reign.

vCash
    You walk into an graduate engineering class, not only very few AA’s there are almost no A’s. You go to a top MBA program report-out, Indians and East Asian people are the majority, everybody else is a minority

This is true at MSU, SMU, and Princeton to only include my personal experience. Personally, I think losing America’s technology and engineering edge should be a front burner topic over divisive race baiting ... just saying... let’s talk about baseball or something