Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What if Mullen DOES leave? (he's not....this is just for discussion)

vCash

What if Mullen DOES leave? (he's not....this is just for discussion)

Let me preface this by stating that I don't think he is going to TN. But...let's discuss this.

With our brand having grown somewhat, our facilities, our current roster, recruiting class, etc. I believe we would be able to go out and get a REALLY good coach. I also believe we have an AD that is a winner, truly loves MSU, and could make a very good decision if the scenario arose.

I don't think we would go out and drop 6 million on a new coach but I also think we could if we wanted to and it was the right person.

All in all, I think our football program is positioned very well for the forseeable future. What Mullen has done here and is doing is building a dynasty and he has built a strong foundation. This is why I don't think he leaves anytime soon for some flash-in-the-pan job opening. I think one day down the road he goes to a Penn State/Notre Dame type program or he becomes our Bowden, staying for 20-30 years and building a blue-blood dynasty here.

Either way....what he has done for MSU's football program is second to none.

vCash
    If he does leave and i don?t think he is. Somebody will be stepping into a very very good situation.

Banned
    vCash
    He can leave after 2018. I want Mullen to coach the 2018 team no matter what. I'll be pretty disappointed if that doesn't happen.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hasu Dackds View Post
    He can leave after 2018. I want Mullen to coach the 2018 team no matter what. I'll be pretty disappointed if that doesn't happen.
    Sounds like Dan would be too. I think it will take CRAZY money for him to leave this year. When I say crazy money, I am talking about almost Saban money which would almost double his salary. It would be hard to turn down coaching what should be a Playoff contender next year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgology View Post
    Let me preface this by stating that I don't think he is going to TN. But...let's discuss this.

With our brand having grown somewhat, our facilities, our current roster, recruiting class, etc. I believe we would be able to go out and get a REALLY good coach. I also believe we have an AD that is a winner, truly loves MSU, and could make a very good decision if the scenario arose.

I don't think we would go out and drop 6 million on a new coach but I also think we could if we wanted to and it was the right person.

All in all, I think our football program is positioned very well for the forseeable future. What Mullen has done here and is doing is building a dynasty and he has built a strong foundation. This is why I don't think he leaves anytime soon for some flash-in-the-pan job opening. I think one day down the road he goes to a Penn State/Notre Dame type program or he becomes our Bowden, staying for 20-30 years and building a blue-blood dynasty here.

Either way....what he has done for MSU's football program is second to none.

We have 2 of our top 7 posts start out with "What if Mullen does leave". I bet there's no post on any Bama, Auburn, or Georgia message board that wants to discuss "what if our coach leaves".

Until our fans can have the same attitude, we will be easy prey for the media. Can we please not post this crap...even if you put "hypothetical" or "I don't believe he will" in your subject line.

Mullen ain't going anywhere besides the Citrus Bowl this new years.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msudawglb View Post
    We have 2 of our top 7 posts start out with "What if Mullen does leave". I bet there's no post on any Bama, Auburn, or Georgia message board that wants to discuss "what if our coach leaves".

Until our fans can have the same attitude, we will be easy prey for the media. Can we please not post this crap...even if you put "hypothetical" or "I don't believe he will" in your subject line.

I agree with your post except I'll bet there are posts on Auburn's boards about their coach leaving. The posts probably start "If we lose the Iron Bowl........."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hasu Dackds View Post
    We are seriously going to be in the hunt for a playoff spot next year. He ain't leaving that. Next year will set him up to take any job he wants - staying with this one, a blue blood like ND or even a jump to the NFL.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msudawglb View Post

Because it's a worthy discussion and a tribute to how far our football program has come. Before Mullen I was scared to death of this discussion because I knew we were a subpar program that no good coach wanted to come to or we had to hire an untested gamble. Now, I'm not scared of this development. I would hate it because I really like Mullen and he has done amazing things for our program. But we now have a program that is attractive to coaches. That is a good thing.

As I stated many times in my OP....I don't think he's going anywhere. So...this fan doesn't have to change anything. That being said, I'm not scared if he does.

Don't be so scared.

ETA: Did you even read this part of my original post??? "This is why I don't think he leaves anytime soon for some flash-in-the-pan job opening. I think one day down the road he goes to a Penn State/Notre Dame type program or he becomes our Bowden, staying for 20-30 years and building a blue-blood dynasty here."
    Last edited by Dawgology; 11-15-2017 at 04:36 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgology View Post
    Because it's a worthy discussion and a tribute to how far our football program has come. Before Mullen I was scared to death of this discussion because I knew we were a subpar program that no good coach wanted to come to or we had to hire an untested gamble. Now, I'm not scared of this development. I would hate it because I really like Mullen and he has done amazing things for our program. But we now have a program that is attractive to coaches. That is a good thing.

As I stated many times in my OP....I don't think he's going anywhere. So...this fan doesn't have to change anything. That being said, I'm not scared if he does.

Don't be so scared.

ETA: Did you even read this part of my original post??? "This is why I don't think he leaves anytime soon for some flash-in-the-pan job opening. I think one day down the road he goes to a Penn State/Notre Dame type program or he becomes our Bowden, staying for 20-30 years and building a blue-blood dynasty here."
    Agree Dawgology.

I think Mullen has stripped away the notion we are a stepping stone job.

vCash
    I doubt he leaves, but this next month could get crazy:

If Auburn loses to Bama, i see Malzahn wanting the Arkansas job, if Arkansas doesn't take Mike Norvell first.
    If Auburn opens up, does Jimbo Fisher go there? Or does he go to Texas A&M?
    Florida gets Chip Kelly i guess
    Tennessee hires _____
    Who goes to Florida State?

It's going to be nuts.

vCash
    If he does we better go get Bill Clark fast, the guy can flat out get it done.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coursesuper View Post
    If he does we better go get Bill Clark fast, the guy can flat out get it done.
    Matt Campbell and Mike Norvell would be my top two choices.

vCash
    Scott Frost from UCF, PJ Fleck from Minnesota, Pat Fitzgerald from NW, or Mike Dantonio from Michigan State.

I don’t know why most are Big 10 Coaches. I guess I figure they can do the Xs and Os and Starkville has gotten used to a yankee. These guys are good coaches and I think their style would fit State.
    Death penalty or bust!!!***

vCash
    What....no HUD talk? ULL or Louisiana as they call it now, is a train wreck. Throw a name out of left field...
    Tim Brewster....nah... i would go with Bill Clark... he could step right in and keep it going...
    Last edited by Leeshouldveflanked; 11-15-2017 at 06:07 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Leeshouldveflanked View Post
    What....no HUD talk? ULL or Louisiana as they call it now, is a train wreck.
    Probation will do that to a program. Take note Rebels.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Reason2succeed View Post
    Scott Frost from UCF, PJ Fleck from Minnesota, Pat Fitzgerald from NW, or Mike Dantonio from Michigan State.

I don’t know why most are Big 10 Coaches. I guess I figure they can do the Xs and Os and Starkville has gotten used to a yankee. These guys are good coaches and I think their style would fit State.
    I like Frost and I would add Jeff Brohm at Purdue.

vCash
    Would be devastating to the athletic department. You have to make a home run hire just to maintain the current level of donor support.

Let's just hope we pay him what it takes to keep him.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
    Would be devastating to the athletic department. You have to make a home run hire just to maintain the current level of donor support.

Let's just hope we pay him what it takes to keep him.
    I honestly thing (knowing him) he will actively bargain for more assistant pay. Mullen sticks with us.

vCash
    Matt LaFluer

vCash
    Damn ya'll people are already picking replacements, PLEEEEEEZEEE!