Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Jeff Long out as Ark AD

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IMissJack View Post
    Why did Bert leave WI in the first place? I guess money is the answer, but he is a Big X guy.
    For the southern cooking.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 1bigdawg View Post
    I think Nebraska might give it a go if they don't land Scott Frost. He is a proven winner in the BIG,
    Good thought.

He would be a good fit there.

As a bonus, there are plenty of places 45 minutes away in Omaha the stripper could spend the 4MM. Not so much in Fayetteville.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MeridianDog View Post
    We lived in Arkansas at one time (Mountain Home).

HS Football was just different there. Not nearly the emphasis on football. Games were always a long drive away, over difficult small highways, at night. Crowds were always small. I always thought the drive from the players was always a step lower. Emphasis on school was a step lower. Everything was a step lower.

U of Arky was the only school in the state. You could ask someone where they went to school (assuming that they did) and they would look at the ground and say, "UUUuuuhhhh, I went to Jonesboro (or wherever), but I am a Razorback."

I never understood those people. Mountain Home was a great vacation place (Fishing, camping, canoeing, outdoors stuff) and we did fine there because I worked for the biggest company in Northern Arkansas (Baxter Healthcare), but it was always strange.

Would love to have a vacation house on the Buffalo River or Northfork Reservoir, but living there was really slow and at times difficult.
    We fish the white river near bull shoals every year. I would agree, that would be a tough place to live but great vacation spot

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TrapGame View Post
    Heard Bartoo on Bo saying Arkansas job is way worse than State's. Said Mullen has really elevated State's profile. Fat Bert and Arkansas? No so much. We actually recruit better and have way better facilities.
    Arkansas recruits better but it's not by much.

Team Avg. Rating 4 Or 5-Star Players
    1. Alabama 4.1 64
    2. Georgia 3.8 46
    3. Texas A&M 3.8 40
    4. LSU 3.7 46
    5. Auburn 3.6 44
    6. Tennessee 3.5 37
    7. Florida 3.5 33
    8. Ole Miss 3.3 27
    9. South Carolina 3.3 26
    10. Arkansas 3.3 19
    11. Mississippi State 3.2 17
    12. Kentucky 3.2 11
    13. Missouri 3.1 12
    14. Vanderbilt 3.1 8

Can't speak for facilities but Jerry Jones has donated a lot to our student-athlete success center and the new football endzone renovation is going to be very nice.

vCash
    Meridian, that must be something local to Mountain Home. I lived over there a number of years and HS football was very important in my town. So much so, that the locals refused to entertain the idea of building a county high school in fear of dividing the talent pool.

In addition, The HS football program had a turf field and indoor practice facility with a plush weight room. However the student population was so large, they had trailer classrooms and the cafeteria didn't have enough tables and chairs for each lunch period. Kids were sitting on the floor or standing up. It was ridiculous that they built that indoor facility but had a 40 year old cafeteria.

Arkansas doesn't produce many 5 stars because of a small population and demographics of that population.

vCash
    I’m hearing a lot of Arkansas folks wanting Tommy T for AD.
    Last edited by Maroonandwhite; 11-26-2018 at 11:35 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Maroonandwhite View Post
    I’m hearing a lot of folks over here wanting Tommy T for AD.
    I didn't think Pat Dye and he got along.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Maroonandwhite View Post
    I’m hearing a lot of folks over here wanting Tommy T for AD.
    Apparently Tommy is campaigning for the AD job. I guess there is some pleasant feelings for Tommy when he was going for the thumb (five wins in a row over Bama for anyone that doesn't remember).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TrapGame View Post
    I didn't think Pat Dye and he got along.
    I was referring to AR. But the local sports talk guys are pushing Quinn Grovey.

Denver Airport Director
    vCash
    Bert is positively out. Gus bus warming up to move.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Really Clark? View Post
    Just coming out on tweeter
    The incredible Mr. Saban has killed-off every AD and Coach since joining the SEC West?

Auburn - Tuberville
    MSU - Croom
    Ole Miss - Le Ogre
    Arkansas - Nutt
    LSU - Les Miles

On Some schools Saban has done a double-tap

Auburn - Chuzik and soon to be Malzahn
    Ole Miss - Nutt and Freeze
    Arkansas - Petrino and soon Beilema
    LSU - soon to be Le Ogre

Most incredibly, our Dan Mullen is the lone long-term survivor and triving
    Last edited by The Federalist Engineer; 11-16-2017 at 12:34 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Federalist Engineer View Post
    The incredible Mr. Saban has killed-off every AD and Coach since joining the SEC West?

Auburn - Tuberville
    MSU - Croom
    Ole Miss - Le Ogre
    Arkansas - Nutt
    LSU - Les Miles

On Some schools Saban has done a double-tap

Auburn - Chuzik and soon to be Malzahn
    Ole Miss - Nutt and Freeze
    Arkansas - Petrino and soon Beilema
    LSU - soon to be Le Ogre

Most incredibly, our Dan Mullen is the lone long-term survivor and triving
    I don't know if I can give Saban credit for Croom- but I think we can give Byrne credit for that and since he's the AD at Alabama now maybe a transient firing?

I think we might see an uptick in SEC coaching starting this offseason. There are rumors that Saban is only going to coach for 4-5 more years and also the SEC probably didn't like the talking heads talking about how much better the Big 10 coaches are.

We could see:

MSU- Dan
    Ole Miss- Maybe Chizek if they are lucky.
    Alabama- Saban
    Auburn- Not sure who they go after if Mahlzahn leaves.
    LSU- Coach O
    Arkansas- Mahlzahn
    A&M- Chad Morris or Jimbo (I can't see Jimbo Fisher going there personally but it's a rumored possibility, soooo...)

Tennessee- Gruden
    Florida- Kelly
    Georgia- Smart
    South Carolina- Muschamp
    Kentucky- Stoops
    Mizzou- Not sure but my guess is a coordinator or a non-power 5 guy if they let Odom go.
    Vanderbilt- Mason

That's a much better group of coaches than what the league started with at the beginning of the year. In a couple of years I think Florida and then Tennessee will be closer to catching up with Georgia and that should make the East stronger plus Muschamp and Stoops have their team competitive over there. Vandy is going to be Vandy.

At the same time, I don't think the West will decline. You have emerging MSU, Alabama will still be Alabama with Saban, O will keep LSU goood enough for 8 wins at least, and I think Mahlzahn would improve Arkansas. I'm not sure what Auburn would do but I bet it would be someone better than Chizek. Morris could improve A&M some as well- especially if he can find a quality DC. Ole Miss is screwed.

vCash
    I don’t think the SEC is in decline, I think the big 10 is back to normal ... those are very fine and football successful and rich schools up north.

When the SEC won 8 titles in a row, that was a historic anomaly. The entire Saban era is historically great. Things revert to the mean, competitors innovate, some have bad luck, others good luck

Alabama was unlucky to miss recruit Tebow, but it got them Saban

Florida was lucky to get Tebow but they sat and lost Newton

If Tebow saves Shula for another year...Saban would have replaced Lloyd Carr at Michigan in 2008..,changing the entire landscape of college football

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Federalist Engineer View Post
    I don?t think the SEC is in decline, I think the big 10 is back to normal ... those are very fine and football successful and rich schools up north.

When the SEC won 8 titles in a row, that was a historic anomaly. The entire Saban era is historically great. Things revert to the mean, competitors innovate, some have bad luck, others good luck

Alabama was unlucky to miss recruit Tebow, but it got them Saban

Florida was lucky to get Tebow but they sat and lost Newton

If Tebow saves Shula for another year...Saban would have replaced Lloyd Carr at Michigan in 2008..,changing the entire landscape of college football
    You've a good memory, Fed... I'm gonna keep my eye on you, buddy....

edit to say "your insights are strong"... Please post more often.
    "It is not courage to resist TUSK; It is courage to accept TUSK."

No.

Easy there buddy. Tusk is...well Tusk is Tusk. Tireddawg 12.20.17

vCash
    MSU recruits better than Arkansas on the defensive side. Has as long as I can remember.