Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Jeff Long out as Ark AD

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bdawg View Post
    Malzahn not happy there?
    Arkansas Waffle Houses > Alabama Waffle Houses.

Banned
    vCash
    Dang it. That means Big Bret’s gone. And we’ve owned him.

vCash

Nope.

Quote Originally Posted by Bdawg View Post
    Malzahn not happy there?
    The crazies got on him after the Clemson and LSU losses. Arkansas is home and there is less pressure than Auburn.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GoToHellOleMiss View Post
    The crazies got on him after the Clemson and LSU losses. Arkansas is home and there is less pressure than Auburn.
    This has to be some power play by the cigar boys to get Malzahn in there. I can't see Malzahn leaving Auburn if they win out but... I definitely can see AU pushing him out if AU loses the Iron Bowl.

vCash
    I could see Scott Frost to Aub if that were to happen.

vCash
    Malzahn, Arkansas AD & HC? Happened before.

vCash
    Heard Bartoo on Bo saying Arkansas job is way worse than State's. Said Mullen has really elevated State's profile. Fat Bert and Arkansas? No so much. We actually recruit better and have way better facilities.

vCash
    Our football program is more stable than anyone in the SEC not named Bama and our entire athletic department is probably in the top 3 or 4. If Mullen stays through this current round of chaos we are going to reach heights we have never seen at Mississippi State. Football will be competing for the SEC championship and in the near future we may have a national championship in baseball or women's basketball. We also have a tennis player ranked #2 in the nation. Life is good in Starkville.

vCash
    If their AD gone it means Bert is safe until a new AD comes in. As soon as he learns where the departmental coffee pot and restroom are located, he will take on the task of firing Bert and negotiating his contract pay off.

This means they have a few busy weeks ahead of them, so that they can take care of everything before recruiting season passes them by. My opinion is that Bert most likely isn't concentrating too hard on recruiting right now. Surely he knows he is gone.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MeridianDog View Post
    If their AD gone it means Bert is safe until a new AD comes in. As soon as he learns where the departmental coffee pot and restroom are located, he will take on the task of firing Bert and negotiating his contract pay off.

This means they have a few busy weeks ahead of them, so that they can take care of everything before recruiting season passes them by. My opinion is that Bert most likely isn't concentrating too hard on recruiting right now. Surely he knows he is gone.
    I wonder if Fat Bert is already looking for another job.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TrapGame View Post
    I wonder if Fat Bert is already looking for another job.
    I am unsure who would consider hiring him. If is able to find anyone who will give him a job, he should bail today - just in case something shiny flies by and they change their minds.

vCash
    I am unsure who would consider hiring him. If is able to find anyone who will give him a job, he should bail today - just in case something shiny flies by and they change their minds.
    Probably not as a head man but more than likely he's trying to get a OL coach gig somewhere.

vCash
    Why did Bert leave WI in the first place? I guess money is the answer, but he is a Big X guy.

vCash
    I think Nebraska might give it a go if they don't land Scott Frost. He is a proven winner in the BIG,

vCash
    Unless AR already has something in the works for who they are going to hire, I would not think this is the year to self impose a coaching search.

vCash
    Money and a chance.

Money was good. Chance failed.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TrapGame View Post
    Heard Bartoo on Bo saying Arkansas job is way worse than State's. Said Mullen has really elevated State's profile. Fat Bert and Arkansas? No so much. We actually recruit better and have way better facilities.
    I like it up in Fayetteville, and there are facilities, and money. To me the biggest downside would be recruiting. Not nearly as much HS talent close to Fayetteville, thus the TX connection.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LC Dawg View Post
    Our football program is more stable than anyone in the SEC not named Bama and our entire athletic department is probably in the top 3 or 4. If Mullen stays through this current round of chaos we are going to reach heights we have never seen at Mississippi State. Football will be competing for the SEC championship and in the near future we may have a national championship in baseball or women's basketball. We also have a tennis player ranked #2 in the nation. Life is good in Starkville.
    There's a lot to be said for consistency and staying the course even in some "rebuilding years". To many folks are impatient and want instant gratification instead of letting the process work. It's a fine line on judging when it's time to move on, but our administration has done a tremendous job of hiring great coaches and staffs and getting out of their way and letting them do their job. Ain't that way everywhere.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IMissJack View Post
    Why did Bert leave WI in the first place? I guess money is the answer, but he is a Big X guy.
    Wanted to get out from under Barry Alvarez's thumb.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IMissJack View Post
    I like it up in Fayetteville, and there are facilities, and money. To me the biggest downside would be recruiting. Not nearly as much HS talent close to Fayetteville, thus the TX connection.
    We lived in Arkansas at one time (Mountain Home).

HS Football was just different there. Not nearly the emphasis on football. Games were always a long drive away, over difficult small highways, at night. Crowds were always small. I always thought the drive from the players was always a step lower. Emphasis on school was a step lower. Everything was a step lower.

U of Arky was the only school in the state. You could ask someone where they went to school (assuming that they did) and they would look at the ground and say, "UUUuuuhhhh, I went to Jonesboro (or wherever), but I am a Razorback."

I never understood those people. Mountain Home was a great vacation place (Fishing, camping, canoeing, outdoors stuff) and we did fine there because I worked for the biggest company in Northern Arkansas (Baxter Healthcare), but it was always strange.

Would love to have a vacation house on the Buffalo River or Northfork Reservoir, but living there was really slow and at times difficult.