Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21

Thread: Best Experience Ever

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    3
    vCash
    500

    Best Experience Ever

    Dawg fans:

    I registered on here and created a profile so that I could ask about game day must do's as I was coming to Starkville to watch my beloved cougs.

    Wow, did you guys deliver. I took all of your suggestions, and they were A+.

    We started our morning by going down to the Starkville Cafe. Our timing was perfect, as we got the last table, and the line behind us got long really quick. We were decked out in Royal Blue, so we were hard to miss. The manager made a joke about only having biscuits and bologna for breakfast, from last week. Then he welcomed us to Starkville. The grits were delicious and there was a steady stream of State fans making their way to our table throughout to welcome us to Starkville. Anybody who had been to Provo the previous year said so, and complimented us on the lovely mountains in Utah.

    Then we made our way to The Lodge to find a Bully Bell, as I had long known about this unique piece of college football memorabilia. Found a good one for a good price in a store that had more maroon than I would have thought was physically possible. Again, we were repeatedly welcomed to Starkville and encouraged to "buy somethin' Maroon!"

    Then we made our way to the tailgate scene. Um, I've never seen anything like that. They don't do that out west ... anywhere. I was repeatedly told "this is nuthin', you should see it when there's an afternoon game!" I honestly can't believe how many people and tents were out there. I also was repeatedly shocked by how many women were dressed up like they were headed to a 5 star restaurant or something.

    Then came that travesty of a football game. Not much to say about that garbage on the field, but your fans were so polite and friendly and taught us proper etiquette for ringing the bell (stop when the center is over the ball) which also blew me away that your whole stadium instantaneously stopped ringing those bells. They gave us free ice-cream (I forget the name now, but it was the brand y'all recommended).

    Then we made our way to the Veranda for dinner, and just beat the crowd again. The shrimp and grits was one of the best meals I've ever had, and again, State fans routinely made their way to our table to thank us for coming to Starkville and share stories of visiting Provo when applicable.

    Honestly, I had high expectations and the trip exceeded them in every way. Y'all are AWESOME. I've been cheering you on ever since, and all through that game against Alabama I was yelling "Hail State!" at every first down.

  2. #2
    Senior Member Todd4State's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    20,486
    vCash
    1100
    I'm glad you had a great time! I was sitting behind some BYU fans and they had bought some cowbells and put BYU logos on them.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Reason2succeed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    3,795
    vCash
    10
    Thank you for your kind words. It’s nice to know that our fans can be pleasant unlike most of our SEC brethren.

    Glad you enjoyed Starkville. Now you see why Mullen would be crazy to leave. Go preach that gospel to nonbelievers who think he is looking for the first opportunity out of town.

    Blessings to your Cougars anytime they are not playing us. There will be better days ahead.
    Death penalty or bust!!!***

  4. #4
    Senior Member Dawg-gone-dawgs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    3,009
    vCash
    500
    Thanks for giving us a report of your visit. Glad you enjoyed it!

  5. #5
    Senior Member Commercecomet24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    5,964
    vCash
    500
    Thanks for your kind words! Glad you enjoyed your trip to OUR wonderful State and University! We are a hidden jewel with some of the finest folks in the world(and a dang good football team). I keep up with BYU as I?m LDS. Good luck to the Cougs in the future. Come back and visit us again and make sure you let everyone how much you enjoyed your stay with us!

    ETA You should really come to a night game if you wanna get the full Davis-Wade effect.
    Last edited by Commercecomet24; 11-15-2017 at 12:10 AM.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Lord McBuckethead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    509
    vCash
    500
    Night SEC game. Matter of fact, check out the Junction live cam on Thanksgiving Day. Should be packed.
    Downvotes_Hype

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    198
    vCash
    600
    Awesomeness. Thanks for sharing.

    BTW Utah in the winter is one of the prettiest places in the world.

  8. #8
    Senior Member msbulldog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    W. Monroe, LA
    Posts
    3,255
    vCash
    500
    Thank you, ya'll come back anytime.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Dawgology's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    1,676
    vCash
    600
    Great! It's an experience unlike any other. A hidden gem.

  10. #10
    Senior Member SailingDawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    533
    vCash
    1250
    I hope you watched the MSU v Alabama game to see what a night crowd is like. Glad you enjoyed yourself!

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    1,693
    vCash
    597
    Man it feels good reading stuff like this. Thanks for taking the time to tell us about your experience. In today's world, giving out compliments doesn't happen often enough - we usually just complain when things go wrong. And it's amazing what our gameday experience has become!!

  12. #12
    Senior Member War Machine Dawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Arsenal Gunners
    Posts
    9,691
    vCash
    1321
    Quote Originally Posted by MadDawg View Post
    Man it feels good reading stuff like this. Thanks for taking the time to tell us about your experience. In today's world, giving out compliments doesn't happen often enough - we usually just complain when things go wrong. And it's amazing what our gameday experience has become!!
    It really is. Even in my wildest dreams I never thought we'd have the atmosphere we have now. I went to UGA for the game over there, and I'm telling you, our crowd Saturday night was as every bit as electric as theirs was, if not moreso. The 4th quarter playing of Don't Stop Believin' was the best one we've had yet. We legitimately have one of the most electric, hostile home environments in college football. Makes me damn proud to be a State fan.
    Cry Havoc!...And Let Slip the Dawgs of War!

    They have hired a shyster of a coach that pretends to be nominated for sainthood while dropping f bombs at fans, and assimilating a team with more illegal and questionable behavior than C block at Parchman. Only this coach and team could turn a mission trip into a 24/7 photo shoot. All that was missing was them out on the street corner faith healing. - Starkvegasdawg on Northern Miss and Hugh Freezus 11-26-15

    [Mutually Assured Destruction] only works when both sides have an armament capable of mass destruction. At this point ole miss has to decide if they want to blow their nose or fart. That's about all the firepower they have now. - Trap Game 3-7-17


  13. #13
    Senior Member Commercecomet24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    5,964
    vCash
    500
    Quote Originally Posted by War Machine Dawg View Post
    It really is. Even in my wildest dreams I never thought we'd have the atmosphere we have now. I went to UGA for the game over there, and I'm telling you, our crowd Saturday night was as every bit as electric as theirs was, if not moreso. The 4th quarter playing of Don't Stop Believin' was the best one we've had yet. We legitimately have one of the most electric, hostile home environments in college football. Makes me damn proud to be a State fan.
    +1000

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    2,222
    vCash
    1100
    Quote Originally Posted by BYUfan View Post
    Dawg fans:

    I registered on here and created a profile so that I could ask about game day must do's as I was coming to Starkville to watch my beloved cougs.

    Wow, did you guys deliver. I took all of your suggestions, and they were A+.

    We started our morning by going down to the Starkville Cafe. Our timing was perfect, as we got the last table, and the line behind us got long really quick. We were decked out in Royal Blue, so we were hard to miss. The manager made a joke about only having biscuits and bologna for breakfast, from last week. Then he welcomed us to Starkville. The grits were delicious and there was a steady stream of State fans making their way to our table throughout to welcome us to Starkville. Anybody who had been to Provo the previous year said so, and complimented us on the lovely mountains in Utah.

    Then we made our way to The Lodge to find a Bully Bell, as I had long known about this unique piece of college football memorabilia. Found a good one for a good price in a store that had more maroon than I would have thought was physically possible. Again, we were repeatedly welcomed to Starkville and encouraged to "buy somethin' Maroon!"

    Then we made our way to the tailgate scene. Um, I've never seen anything like that. They don't do that out west ... anywhere. I was repeatedly told "this is nuthin', you should see it when there's an afternoon game!" I honestly can't believe how many people and tents were out there. I also was repeatedly shocked by how many women were dressed up like they were headed to a 5 star restaurant or something.

    Then came that travesty of a football game. Not much to say about that garbage on the field, but your fans were so polite and friendly and taught us proper etiquette for ringing the bell (stop when the center is over the ball) which also blew me away that your whole stadium instantaneously stopped ringing those bells. They gave us free ice-cream (I forget the name now, but it was the brand y'all recommended).

    Then we made our way to the Veranda for dinner, and just beat the crowd again. The shrimp and grits was one of the best meals I've ever had, and again, State fans routinely made their way to our table to thank us for coming to Starkville and share stories of visiting Provo when applicable.

    Honestly, I had high expectations and the trip exceeded them in every way. Y'all are AWESOME. I've been cheering you on ever since, and all through that game against Alabama I was yelling "Hail State!" at every first down.
    my Son probably cooked your meal at the Veranda. glad you enjoyed it.

  15. #15
    Senior Member gtowndawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Memphis area
    Posts
    1,071
    vCash
    500
    Great report, thank you!

  16. #16
    Junior Member LoneStarDawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    23
    vCash
    500
    Glad you had a great time! I hate you didn?t get to experience our place full on game day. I hate that was an 11 AM kickoff.

  17. #17
    Senior Member LC Dawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    2,892
    vCash
    1701
    Thanks for the positive report. I'm glad you had a good experience. People are usually pleasantly surprised when they come to one of our games. All the BYU fans that I encountered were great people and fun to visit with. A few stopped at our tent and visited but none stayed long because they were trying to see as much of campus as they could. I wish it wasn't an 11:00 kickoff so we could have visited with more of the BYU fans. I hope to get to Provo one day because I have heard that it is beautiful.
    "I think it's just a dislike of the institution as a whole." - Dan Mullen

  18. #18
    Senior Member Jack Lambert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    misippi
    Posts
    7,291
    vCash
    70227938
    Quote Originally Posted by LC Dawg View Post
    Thanks for the positive report. I'm glad you had a good experience. People are usually pleasantly surprised when they come to one of our games. All the BYU fans that I encountered were great people and fun to visit with. A few stopped at our tent and visited but none stayed long because they were trying to see as much of campus as they could. I wish it wasn't an 11:00 kickoff so we could have visited with more of the BYU fans. I hope to get to Provo one day because I have heard that it is beautiful.
    I went to Provo last season and they allowed cowbells in their stadium and gave free Ice Cream to the visitors.

  19. #19
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    3
    vCash
    500
    I will 100% be making a return visit, with or without my cougs. My sister lives in Gulf Shores, Alabama. This was my first trip out there, but I enjoyed it so much that my brother-in-law and I decided we’ll pick an SEC conference game every year to go to.

    He’s an LSU fan, but happy to watch any of them play. I already kind of had the Egg Bowl on my list. I left out the part where we also stopped in Scooba, because I am a huge fan of Last Chance U. Anyway, I’ll be back for sure. Starkville is my kind of place.

  20. #20
    Member GoDawgz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    45
    vCash
    500
    Glad you enjoyed your visit! I was at the BYU game, you guys would have really been blown away by this past Saturday's game vs Bama! That was the loudest I've ever heard it!
    Praise the Lord
    &
    GoDawgz!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Disclaimer: Elitedawgs is a privately owned and operated forum that is managed by alumni of Mississippi State University. This website is in no way affiliated with the Mississippi State University, The Southeastern Conference (SEC) or the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA). The views and opinions expressed herein are strictly those of the post author and may not reflect the views of other members of this forum or elitedawgs.com. The interactive nature of the elitedawgs.com forums makes it impossible for elitedawgs.com to assume responsibility for any of the content posted at this site. Ideas, thoughts, suggestion, comments, opinions, advice and observations made by participants at elitedawgs.com are not endorsed by elitedawgs.com
Elitedawgs: A Mississippi State Fan Forum, Mississippi State Football, Mississippi State Basketball, Mississippi State Baseball, Mississippi State Athletics. Mississippi State message board.