Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gruden and TN

vCash

Gruden and TN

Their boards are reporting that a memorandum of understanding has been signed by UT and Gruden. Gruden has begun to reach out to possible staffers that include Tee Martin.....

Grumors I know. I didn't know a MOU was a thing for college athletics.

Banned
    vCash
    Be a great hire for the conference. I still think Tennessee will be stuck around 9 wins as their ceiling for awhile but it'll be fun to have Gruden in the conference. Hope it happens.

vCash
    Why is it a foregone conclusion Gruden will be a successful college coach, at TN no less? Not even mentioning the recruiting aspect...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeardoMSU View Post
    Why is it a foregone conclusion Gruden will be a successful college coach, at TN no less? Not even mentioning the recruiting aspect...
    I would be very nervous about us hiring someone who had never been a college coach and hadn't coached in nearly 10 years.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bluelightstar View Post
    I would be very nervous about us hiring someone who had never been a college coach and hadn't coached in nearly 10 years.
    Not only that, but someone who has stated on the record that he'd be a lazy recruiter and probably have a team on probation in no time. I know he was joking, but a college coach really needs that desire and work ethic...and needs to be able to put up with that 17 and 18 year old recruiting drama. He just doesn't seem like the type to me.

vCash
    If he can surround himself with good recruiters, I think he will be successful.

vCash
    Does that mean the sharts are going with Dungy? Him and Gruden were always the two finalists.

vCash
    I love Gruden as analyst. Sharp guy. I could see him being hugely successful or a complete bust. I just can't picture Gruden kissing those big ut boosters butts like they expect of a ut coach.

vCash
    Best football analyst around these days. Hate to not get to hear him in the booth.

Slight hijack: IMO he and McDonough are the straightest shooters in the booth since summerall and madden.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    I love Gruden as analyst. Sharp guy. I could see him being hugely successful or a complete bust. I just can't picture Gruden kissing those big ut boosters butts like they expect of a ut coach.
    I made a post a couple days ago and I'll rehash what I said. The four best teams in the SEC are Bama, Auburn, UGA, and MSU. That's your top 4 right now. What do those programs do better than everyone else in the conference on a consistent basis? They develop talent.

The key to being able to coach is to develop talent. Find guys that you think can be successful in your system and coach them the hell up. If you can't develop talent, recruiting class rank doesn't matter. Anyone on here think that Gruden won't be able to develop talent or find the right fit for his system?

I would be scared of Gruden because he's a high energy personality that can relate to the kids, he's got the name power to bring in a top notch staff, and whether or not he's a great recruiter is irrelevant. He's going to be able to utilize his skill set to develop kids into his system and make that program a winner. If I were in the East I would not want Gruden to come in. He's relevant, he's seen nationally every week, and he's got the NFL cache to use to his advantage. He's a good coach and whether or not he's coached in 10 years doesn't matter. His job makes him prep every week like a coach would. That's not going to be an issue.

Banned
    vCash
    Cause I think he'll sign top 5 QBs every year just by getting outta bed. The Gruden Elite QB thing he's been doing during SportsCenter the last five years is going to pay off big time for him. Once you got elite QBs signing up the elite WRs come too.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shoeless joe View Post
    Best football analyst around these days. Hate to not get to hear him in the booth.

Slight hijack: IMO he and McDonough are the straightest shooters in the booth since summerall and madden.
    Agreed. They're a top notch combo. I really like Romo too. The guy is way better in the booth than I thought he would be. He gives insight you don't get from most analysts and explains it in a way thats easy to understand. Like watching a game and discussing it with a buddy.

vCash
    I think the turmoil and financial disaster that is going on at ESPN will play a bigger role in this than people realize. Read somewhere the other day that ESPN will not be able to afford MNF next year.

vCash
    Bearsharks are rejoicing because he won't be able to rip their players in NFL anymore

vCash
    I think they're full of crap. Gruden ain't coming to coach college ball.

Gruden said he’s had opportunities to return, but he’s just holding out for the perfect fit. However, he ruled out coaching in college, joking: “I would probably have you on probation within four or five weeks,” because of all the recruiting and NCAA rule challenges.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tough Dawg View Post
    Their boards are reporting that a memorandum of understanding has been signed by UT and Gruden. Gruden has begun to reach out to possible staffers that include Tee Martin.....

Grumors I know. I didn't know a MOU was a thing for college athletics.

First I have ever heard of a coach signing an MOU with a university. From my work experience, an MOU is normally used in State or Federal government whereby different agencies roles are defined so there will be no overlap of job duties. and all will be on the same page. If it's not a contract signed then I would say the rumor is BS.
    Last edited by yjnkdawg; 11-14-2017 at 12:07 PM.

vCash
    I wonder how much Tennessee would be willing to pay assistants after they pay Gruden 7-8 million? He has been out of coaching for a while and out of college coaching/recruiting even longer. If he gets some great assistants that can help his transition back to coaching he could be very successful very quickly. The Gruden name will automatically help recruiting. If the success of the team is too dependent on Gruden coaching and recruiting they will be in trouble, at least in the short term, in my opinion. He has to get some great assistants.

vCash
    Worth noting:

Who will be the head coach of Tennessee at the start of the 2018 #NCAAF season? Updated odds:

Jon Gruden +180
    Mike Norvell +400
    Chip Kelly/Les Miles +500
    Dan Mullen +600
    Jeff Brohm
    Bobby Petrino/Mike MacIntyre +1200
    Tee Martin +1600
    Jim Bob Cooter +2000
    Lane Kiffin +3300

Paysite Policeman Dawg-gone-dawgs's Avatar
    vCash

yes but this would be the most Tennessee thing ever. I mean look at their last three coaches.

Paysite Policeman Dawg-gone-dawgs's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    I think they're full of crap. Gruden ain't coming to coach college ball.

Gruden said he’s had opportunities to return, but he’s just holding out for the perfect fit. However, he ruled out coaching in college, joking: “I would probably have you on probation within four or five weeks,” because of all the recruiting and NCAA rule challenges.
    Jim Bob Cooter is that you? Are you campaigning to get the job?