Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is Media Slowly Starting to Figure Out How Good Mullen Has it at MSU?

vCash

Is Media Slowly Starting to Figure Out How Good Mullen Has it at MSU?

Listening to ignorant Feldman right now on Finebaum, &, while he is still spouting the ridiculous narrative that MSU is toughest place to win the SEC West, even he just acknowledged that Mullen is in a really good spot at MSU & Tennessee may not be a good enough job to leave MSU for.

Yesterday, a national writer wrote an article about the conundrum of Dan Mullen, which is Tennessee may be a slightly better job than MSU but Dan has a top 10 caliber team returning next season & why would someone leave a chance to win the SEC for a job that is a rebuild that may eventually give him a better chance of winning the SEC?

Peter Burns tweeted this today

I realize there is a lot of noise right now & most of the people making the noise don't realize the advantages of the MSU job & have probably not been to Starkville in 10+ years.

I realize it is small, but it appears like there has been a slight change in the wind today. Like perhaps people are starting to realize that MSU is damn good college football job that can compete at the highest of levels & then asking why would someone leave that for a rebuild & the pressure at Tennessee or Florida?

Interesting

vCash
    Other people finally realizing what Megan knew 10 years ago.

vCash
    The way I see it a rich tradition has to start somewhere. Florida State before Bowden was playing before sparse crowds and thinking about going division 2. BYU had never won a single conference championship and had similar mediocre history as ours before Lavelle Edwards. Virginia Tech was a zero before Beamer. Alabama wasn't Alabama before Bear. The list goes on and on. The blue bloods didn't become blue bloods over night. Heck 100 years ago the best football was being played in the Ivy league and northeast for heavens sake. A tradition of winning has to start at some point and I believe we are witnessing the birth of ours. 25 years from now my grandchildren may only know MSU as another football powerhouse(my dream and hope). We have the chance to get it done. We are on the cusp of greatness.

ETA: When Dan first took the job I thought it would take about 7-10 years to build a really elite program(if we were ever gonna build one) based on history and the state of the program when he took over. Now here we are 9 years later, 8 straight bowls, averagin 8 wins a year and even better on the horizon. Build it from the ground up and no shortcuts, solid foundation and this is what can happen.
    Last edited by Commercecomet24; 11-13-2017 at 05:02 PM.

vCash
    I noticed Bo Bounds changed his tune this morning too.

Seems a new narrative is emerging in the college football spectrum.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    Listening to ignorant Feldman right now on Finebaum, &, while he is still spouting the ridiculous narrative that MSU is toughest place to win the SEC West, even he just acknowledged that Mullen is in a really good spot at MSU & Tennessee may not be a good enough job to leave MSU for.

Yesterday, a national writer wrote an article about the conundrum of Dan Mullen, which is Tennessee may be a slightly better job than MSU but Dan has a top 10 caliber team returning next season & why would someone leave a chance to win the SEC for a job that is a rebuild that may eventually give him a better chance of winning the SEC?

Peter Burns tweeted this today

I realize there is a lot of noise right now & most of the people making the noise don't realize the advantages of the MSU job & have probably not been to Starkville in 10+ years.

I realize it is small, but it appears like there has been a slight change in the wind today. Like perhaps people are starting to realize that MSU is damn good college football job that can compete at the highest of levels & then asking why would someone leave that for a rebuild & the pressure at Tennessee or Florida?

Interesting
    Thanks for posting this, Shotgun.

vCash
    Arkansas is the toughest place to win in the West, and our weight room is one of the nicest around.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TrapGame View Post
    I noticed Bo Bounds changed his tune this morning too.

Seems a new narrative is emerging in the college football spectrum.
    Yeah he did.

Although we lost Saturday night, it feels like a lot of respect & recognition about what the program is & where it is heading was realized.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    ETA: When Dan first took the job I thought it would take about 7-10 years to build a really elite program(if we were ever gonna build one) based on history and the state of the program when he took over. Now here we are 9 years later, 8 straight bowls, averagin 8 wins a year and even better on the horizon. Build it from the ground up and no shortcuts, solid foundation and this is what can happen.
    That reminds me. Didn't someone on here post a couple of years ago that someone told them Dan told Keenum in his initial interview that it would take him ten years to build this program to legitimately compete for the West on a yearly basis?

I could have sworn I read that on here.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bothrops View Post
    Arkansas is the toughest place to win in the West, and our weight room is one of the nicest around.
    With Texas A&M going to the SEC, Missouri going to the SEC, & TCU going to the Big 12, Arkansas' recruiting base has been decimated. It is easily the hardest place in the SEC West to win. Arkansas has to go to Dallas, KC, Tulsa, etc to get players. Within the area size of that triangle, MSU recruits it's entire roster.

Since 1990 Ole Miss has been a harder place to win at than MSU as well.

For whatever reason, the media still leans on historical records & not records over the past decade or 20 years. At what point does our success become our history?
    Last edited by ShotgunDawg; 11-13-2017 at 05:23 PM.

vCash
    With Texas A&M going to the SEC, Missouri going to the SEC, & TCU going to the Big 12, Arkansas' recruiting base has been decimated. It is easily the hardest place in the SEC West to win. Arkansas has to go to Dallas, KC, Tulsa, etc to get players. Within that triangle, MSU recruits it's entire roster.

For whatever reason, the media still leans on historical records & not records over the past decade or 20 years. At what point does our success become our history?
    Dan has been here going nine years. We will go to our 8th bowl game and perhaps finish 9-3. At what point does the sports media start realizing you can win at State?

vCash
    Yeah he did.

Although we lost Saturday night, it feels like a lot of respect & recognition about what the program is & where it is heading was realized.
    That's because Alabama is the measuring stick. And that's one reason why Ole Miss got a lot of pub when they beat them two years in a row. And even though we didn't beat them as you said we earned a lot of respect. You have to beat Alabama or apparently come pretty close to it- to get attention from the national media. I expect us to continue to start to see the narrative change- especially if we finish this year off well.

I think the 2014 season the perception was more that it was the Dak show and that's why we did what we did. Even though that's not the reality. Dan doing what he is now with the talent he has on campus plus what he's bringing in means we aren't a "generational player" program.

vCash
    I think Ole Miss is personally. You basically have to cheat and follow their Network or you are going to end up like Cutcliffe. That is leading to NCAA Investigations which means probation which for a coach can lead to career jeopardy. Ole Miss doesn't have a huge fanbase and it's spread out over the country- and what local fanbase they do have doesn't live in reality and isn't willing to go through a 10 year process to get to the top. They also have enough history to believe that they can and should be an elite powerhouse when the reality is they are in the lower division of the league. Add in racist symbols that they cling to- it doesn't make things any easier. Add in that they have to share Mississippi with a now resurgent MSU football program.

vCash
    Also keep this in mind, Finebaum spouting Mullen/Tennessee is the ultimate ratings bait because it involves & raises the emotions of two SEC fan bases.

There is no other name they can discuss on TV that would elicit more conversation that Mullen.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    That's because Alabama is the measuring stick. And that's one reason why Ole Miss got a lot of pub when they beat them two years in a row. And even though we didn't beat them as you said we earned a lot of respect. You have to beat Alabama or apparently come pretty close to it- to get attention from the national media. I expect us to continue to start to see the narrative change- especially if we finish this year off well.

I think the 2014 season the perception was more that it was the Dak show and that's why we did what we did. Even though that's not the reality. Dan doing what he is now with the talent he has on campus plus what he's bringing in means we aren't a "generational player" program.
    Well said. To add this team is probably the most physical team that Dan has put on the field. When you're physical and can control the los it sure makes everything a whole lot easier and it intimidates the crap out of other teams.

Banned
    vCash
    Arkansas should really join the Big 12 if they truly want to win. Yeah yeah I know they won't give up the money train but it's a better fit and would give that conference more credibility. Then we could go get FSU, and move Mizzouri to the West.

vCash
    With Texas A&M going to the SEC, Missouri going to the SEC, & TCU going to the Big 12, Arkansas' recruiting base has been decimated. It is easily the hardest place in the SEC West to win. Arkansas has to go to Dallas, KC, Tulsa, etc to get players. Within the area size of that triangle, MSU recruits it's entire roster.

I think people that don't follow it think Freeze proved it was easier to recruit to Ole Miss even though everyone who knows what was really going on know that is a lie. UM has to overcome the whole Old South slave imagery that they DO NOT want to give up. Also it has been a while since they had any successful people in the NFL. Eli is just hanging around drawing a check.

vCash
    A prime example of how coaches make a big difference is Boise State that is a hard place to recruit too but they were on the national stage when they had a great coach. Now look at them. Look at the lean years Alabama went through with Dubose and Shula. They still recruited at a high level but the coaches sucked. Mullen has a system in place that works he is a very good coach. We will win more than we lose as long as he is here and every few years have an elite team like next season.

vCash
    Good points. We are in a fertile recruiting region, and that is something the media conveniently fails to mention when it comes to MSU. It's like they have to sign a clause in their job contract to snub our program whenever possible. It's crazy.

vCash
    Haha, This is hilarious.

vCash
    Maybe a few members of the media are starting to get it, but mark my words, after SEC media days next summer, our preseason projection will be no higher than 5th in the west.