Thread: If we bring back everyone possible, where do we need someone to step up in 2018?

vCash

If we bring back everyone possible, where do we need someone to step up in 2018?

We will bring back a majority of our team so where do we need someone to come in and instantly impact or create depth?

We obviously need WRs and some secondary help. We will have to replace Dez as signal caller but we will also have another year in Grantham's system. Leo, Thompson, and Willie Gay look like playmakers so our front 7 might be top half of the SEC.

We seem to be set at RB with A Train, Kylin, and Gibson with Lee possibly moving into a FB type roll or just power back. We will have to replace Jordan Thomas but we have recruited pretty well at TE.

If we can win at LSU and/or Bama then this year could be really special.

vCash
    Could Dez Harris possibly get a 6th year considering his injury history?

vCash
    Gotta get better in coverage.

We don't have a DB that can match up with #1 WRs. We need someone to step up there.

Getting a deep threat on offense will certainly help, but, as you saw vs Bama, Mullen can somewhat scheme around that. You can't scheme around not having a CB to handle the Calvin Ridley's of the world. We need a CB to step up & allow us to tilt the field.

That New Coach - That's better than the Old Coach
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post

We don't have a DB that can match up with #1 WRs. We need someone to step up there.

Getting a deep threat on offense will certainly help, but, as you saw vs Bama, Mullen can somewhat scheme around that. You can't scheme around not having a CB to handle the Calvin Ridley's of the world. We need a CB to step up & allow us to tilt the field.
    We don't have anyone to match up with a Ridley or Kirk but who does? Jamal can do fine vs 90% of the #1 WR we face.

vCash
    We are near the bottom in the SEC in explosive plays. We don't notice it until you look at the stats and compare because overall we're doing well and we're basically winning every other metric you need to in order to win games- but if we add in some WR's our offense will take it to the next level and probably be the best in school history.

I actually think we need to upgrade the pass rush more than the secondary believe it or not. We're 9th in sacks and 8th in TFL in the SEC. Rivers will help out there immensely along with another year of being in Grantham's system. Generating more pass rush will help the secondary.

vCash
    Fitz has to take that next step throwing the football. Improved WR play will help him but I think it really comes down to Fitz

vCash
    WR, RG, CB, P, TE (even though we return some)

vCash

We have several places that would have to step up to win a SEC Title.

1) First and most important is Nicky Fitz. He is a stud but he is pitiful throwing the ball down the field. If we are going to win a championship you simply can't miss plays like the first play of the game last week. Jalen Hurts makes that play and Nick has to got to get more accurate and more comfortable throwing inside the pocket this off-season.

2)Receivers---We have to find a couple of guys that scare people and that we know can win in one on one situations. It's hard to say if we have that guy on the roster. I like Reggie Todd but I have no clue if he can catch. We need Heath or the juco kid to be an instant impact.

3) On defense we need to improve at the corner spot. Losing multiple guys at that position will leave us looking for quality depth. Also I don't love our linebackers. Leo is over rated imo and slightly undersized. We are missing a kj wright/mckinney type guy that would really solidy that position. We are solid but only slighlty above avg in the SEC at that position imo.

Improvements:
    The good thing is we get rivers and cole which will help add depth to the defense and we get Dear back on offense. We will also have an extremely deep backfield with Gibson and Kylin back. If the ball bounces our way we will have a shot at the West next year.

vCash

Playing LSU and Bama on the road will be extremely tough. It sucks having them both

on the road in the same year.
    "The QB and the receiver weren't on the same page there, but hey its only week eleven". (Jack Cristil)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ifyouonlyknew View Post
    We don't have anyone to match up with a Ridley or Kirk but who does? Jamal can do fine vs 90% of the #1 WR we face.
    Post more, please!

vCash

Yes - Line Backers and solid Pass Defense. We need to have Nick be more comfortable passing from the very first possession. We need receivers with sticky hands and ability to elevate to make those just a bit too long passes Nick is fond of throwing.

I seem to remember Dak and the receivers working all summer long on their own (no coaches around) between his Jr and Sr years. Hopefully Nick and the receivers will take a hint from the work Dak and his guys put in that summer.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MeridianDog View Post
    Yes - Line Backers and solid Pass Defense. We need to have Nick be more comfortable passing from the very first possession. We need receivers with sticky hands and ability to elevate to make those just a bit too long passes Nick is fond of throwing.

I seem to remember Dak and the receivers working all summer long on their own (no coaches around) between his Jr and Sr years. Hopefully Nick and the receivers will take a hint from the work Dak and his guys put in that summer.
    THIS x100

vCash
    I like Reggie Todd's development. I think we could see Todd and Guidry outside. Mixon and Dear in the slot. That would be huge improvement over this year.

My fear is corner. We lose Cleveland and Durr. They aren't great, but I honestly think they are better than Peters and Rayford. Cam Dantzler is going to be really good. If Smitherman was the answer, we would have known it by now. I think Cole is playing some corner. Corner is going to be the biggest issue in my opinion.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MeridianDog View Post
    Fitz and the receivers did that this past summer- but Most those guys are hurt.

Doing it again will help more - but every pass need to be 25 yards and out