Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hate to be that guy but I am gonna be that guy...

vCash
    Nobody wants to go to Fayetteville
    it might be cold and miserable.
    over confidence could be a problem.
    that being said we need to attack the Hogs with a vengeance.

vCash
    Arkansas is just not very good. I don't expect us to come out with the same intensity, but it's hard to imagine that it'll matter.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tcdog70 View Post
    Nobody wants to go to Fayetteville
    it might be cold and miserable.
    over confidence could be a problem.
    that being said we need to attack the Hogs with a vengeance.
    Extended forecast, so who knows, but as of now, weather should be no issue. 40s to 50s with no rain

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by yjnkdawg View Post
    I want an SEC West Championship and a National Championship as much as anybody else but I think some of your expectations are a little unrealsitic On just shaking things off and being up for the ARK game, I hope they can! I believe Jackie said you can get up for maybe 4 games a year and have maybe 2 letdown games and the let down games and the other games you have to win with better players and coaching.
    Honestly our ceiling is 12-0 during the regular season. Will we get there? Maybe not. And you know what? If we don't and we only average 9-10 wins over the next few years it's OK. If we do reach that ceiling it's going to be unbelieveable. The better you get and the higher you go the more difficult it is to achieve goals. But when you are an 8 win team like we are now getting to 9-10 needs to be the goal or we will get stagnant.

And like Dan said after we win the first championship the next goal is to win the next championship after that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Extended forecast, so who knows, but as of now, weather should be no issue. 40s to 50s with no rain
    That's better than last time we went there- that was the coldest game I have ever been at.

vCash
    If we gotta remind them why to be fired up for that game, they don't need to be on the field. I think we're going to see two teams trying to inflict punishment on one another. There are going to be some big, big hits. I hope our guys are smart about it.

Banned
    vCash
    S&P and F+ says we have a 75% chance in both games, so we're about a 50/50 shot of being 9-3. The great thing is, we play the better team at home and the worst team on the road (I know Arkansas beat Ole Miss but Ole Miss is the better team, matchup wise at least, for us).

We have no excuse to lose to this Ole Miss team at home. We know their game plan. We know what type of game plan it will take to beat them. It's acceptable to bring the B game to Fayetteville, but the Egg Bowl should get our A effort, on Thanksgiving night at night. Not to mention we are just better than them.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg61 View Post
    we need to chill a little on the 9-3 talk. Team needs to be every bit as fired up and then some to play Ole Miss as they were to play Bama last night. Rebels new QB is putting up stupid video game numbers since he took over and our secondary is still Into The Great Wide Open. msstate7's boy is gonna be fired the **** up to play us and their entire team and fanbase is drooling at a shot to wreck our season. There is an all out war coming in two weeks and we better be ready to NCAA assault the Rebels if we want to finish regular season 9-3 (shouldn't look past Arkansas either as they didn't punt one time vs us last year and Allen is back, I realize that wasn't Grantham's defense). This season will be a total shitburger if we don't win these last two games. Just saying. The two biggest games of the year are our next two games. Win those and then let's jerk off to Citrus Bowl talk. End of my cool story.
    That OM offense struggles to put up points against good teams. They?ve been playing bad ones. Don?t let them fool you. We aren?t losing in Vegas either. Don?t worry about stupid stuff.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    That OM offense struggles to put up points against good teams. They?ve been playing bad ones. Don?t let them fool you. We aren?t losing in Vegas either. Don?t worry about stupid stuff.
    Exactly! It?s like nobody remembers what we did to them last year in oxford with a terrible dc. We have a real dc and better talent this year, they?re the same.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    THIS 100%.

I don't expect us to win a National Championship every year- but if we come out with this attitude we will give ourselves a chance to maximize our talent and further our program beyond what many of our fans expected or dreamed of. All I really ask is that we win the games we're supposed to- Dan has done that at probably over 90% which is acceptable to me- and then in the games against the SEC bluebloods play as hard as we can and give ourselves a chance to win- last night was acceptable. We won't win every game against every blueblood- but we will give ourselves a good chance at pulling it off from time to time.

Our fans are scarred from Jackie and his "you can only get up for three games theory". That may or may not be true- but the problem is he coached like that. And you can't do that- that's how you beat Alabama and Ole Miss and then lose to Louisiana Tech and Kentucky in the same season. Or beat Alabama and Auburn but lose to a 3 win LSU team by 35 and an average Arkansas team. Dan is a better coach than that- and that's why I love some of the things he does like "We don't lose to Kentucky". That sets the tone and expectation and raises awareness and intensity just enough that it's only happened once in his tenure even though they aren't a rival. And that was with a Sirmon defense and on a long field goal at the end of the game.

I think this loss could have an opposite effect too though- it may make our guys more focused on what they need to do to get to the Alabama level and more confidence in themselves than ever. And based on the stats I could totally see us tearing Arkansas and Ole Miss a new one on the ground. I'm sure we'll give up a few bombs to both of them but it is what it is at this point. We should be good enough to play well enough to beat both of them.
    Totally agree.

Jackie may be right or Jackie may be wrong but that quote is a terrible excuse that MSU fans continue to use, and, to be honest, I can?t imagine Mullen ever saying this.

The point is that we should and must hold ourselves to a higher standard than this.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    2014 were evenly matched teams. 2015 they were better by a good bit. 2017 is not evenly matched teams at all
    I think we were better in 2015. Dan's head was somewhere else after he had interviewed with Miami that week and we just weren't emotionally where we needed to be. Not to mention Dak tried to do too much and turned the ball over a couple of times getting us in a hole we couldn't quite dig out of. That and South Alabama are the low points in Dan's tenure thus far to me.

In some ways at least to me- 2015 was Dan's worst season with us.

I'm glad Keenum straightened it out and that Cohen is our AD now.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    Totally agree.

Jackie may be right or Jackie may be wrong but that quote is a terrible excuse that MSU fans continue to use, and, to be honest, I can?t imagine Mullen ever saying this.

The point is that we should and must hold ourselves to a higher standard than this.
    I can't either- last night he pretty much said his goal was to win a championship. The closest he normally comes to a "let down" is something like the UMass game where he is trying to save the QB from taking a pounding which is logical. But at least if he sees that we are down he rips their ass at halftime and then starts running the QB to win the game. Which is what happened.

vCash
    THIS 100%.

I don't expect us to win a National Championship every year- but if we come out with this attitude we will give ourselves a chance to maximize our talent and further our program beyond what many of our fans expected or dreamed of. All I really ask is that we win the games we're supposed to- Dan has done that at probably over 90% which is acceptable to me- and then in the games against the SEC bluebloods play as hard as we can and give ourselves a chance to win- last night was acceptable. We won't win every game against every blueblood- but we will give ourselves a good chance at pulling it off from time to time.

Our fans are scarred from Jackie and his "you can only get up for three games theory". That may or may not be true- but the problem is he coached like that. And you can't do that- that's how you beat Alabama and Ole Miss and then lose to Louisiana Tech and Kentucky in the same season. Or beat Alabama and Auburn but lose to a 3 win LSU team by 35 and an average Arkansas team. Dan is a better coach than that- and that's why I love some of the things he does like "We don't lose to Kentucky". That sets the tone and expectation and raises awareness and intensity just enough that it's only happened once in his tenure even though they aren't a rival. And that was with a Sirmon defense and on a long field goal at the end of the game.

I think this loss could have an opposite effect too though- it may make our guys more focused on what they need to do to get to the Alabama level and more confidence in themselves than ever. And based on the stats I could totally see us tearing Arkansas and Ole Miss a new one on the ground. I'm sure we'll give up a few bombs to both of them but it is what it is at this point. We should be good enough to play well enough to beat both of them.
    Great post! I love Jackie but I never bought the only get up for 3 or 4 games a year stuff. You say that and it kinda becomes a mindset. And like I said I love Jackie!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    Great post! I love Jackie but I never bought the only get up for 3 or 4 games a year stuff. You say that and it kinda becomes a mindset. And like I said I love Jackie!
    For me it's either I really love some things that Jackie did or I absolutely hate them. Overall I liked him but I like Dan overall better.

LOVED Jackie's massive o-lines, two running back systems with Davis/Bouie, Dontae/Dicenzo, etc., Joe Lee Dunn pre-2001, emphasis on special teams, the Mad Dawgs (We need to bring them back), and calling Ole Miss Mississippi while calling Billy Brewer a habitual liar and giving MSU fans confidence and something to cheer about.

HATED Jackie's QB development or lack thereof, lack of team discipline during games on both sides of the ball, firing Bruce Arians, punting to Derek Abney over and over, bowl preparation or lack thereof, not being able to beat crappy LSU teams ever except 1999, and inexplicable losses to people like Troy and blowout losses to people like LSU.

Edit to say I HATED the we can only get up for three games mantra and still do.

vCash
    For me it's either I really love some things that Jackie did or I absolutely hate them. Overall I liked him but I like Dan overall better.

LOVED Jackie's massive o-lines, two running back systems with Davis/Bouie, Dontae/Dicenzo, etc., Joe Lee Dunn pre-2001, emphasis on special teams, the Mad Dawgs (We need to bring them back), and calling Ole Miss Mississippi while calling Billy Brewer a habitual liar and giving MSU fans confidence and something to cheer about.

HATED Jackie's QB development or lack thereof, lack of team discipline during games on both sides of the ball, firing Bruce Arians, punting to Derek Abney over and over, bowl preparation or lack thereof, not being able to beat crappy LSU teams ever except 1999, and inexplicable losses to people like Troy and blowout losses to people like LSU.

Agree completely

Banned
    vCash
    If you want to be so strongly opinionated, you need to have some evidence or experience to back you up. I was on my way to posting a yearly list of our 'up' games and considered it a waste of time because we only average 2 or 3 per year.

Some of you are going to continue to ignore this near fact forever, to your own detriment. It's the nature of football. It's a tough sport, and momentum is a big part of it. Navigating this, and your home/away schedule, goes a long way into your W/L record. Saban is about the only coach that can maneuver around this and that's only because he's got the best players and consistently play at a B+/A- level. Normal teams have their few A games, then have to rely on talent the rest of the time.

Banned
    vCash
    OM will be in it until the half just because we’re their Super Bowl. But State will pull away in the third. Better talent. More depth. Better coaching.

Banned
    vCash

Actually, Brewer called Sherrill a habitual liar. Jackie said he didn’t believe Brewer said it because Brewer can’t spell habitual. They call us necks, but Brewer was the biggest hillbilly on the planet.

vCash
    I agree Shotgun. What we need to remember is that they played as well as they did last night after losing to both Auburn and GA. They know that the remaining games are games we always said we could win.

They will be fine. They know what they must do, and if we think we want them to win, we mist realize how badly they want to prove what they are made out of.

Winners find a way to win.

Our job here is to support our team.

Go dogs. You can do this and we believe you can do it, too.

vCash
    Patterson was putting up big numbers coming into the Egg Bowl last year and we beat them 55-20 with Sirmon. I feel pretty good about putting this year?s defense out there.
    One thing that does concern me about home Egg Bowls is our senior recognition is pretty emotional with both Megan and Dan on the field. I think it affected Dak a lot in 2015 and helped Arkansas jump on us early last year and we could never recover. I would like to see that done a little earlier so the players could go back in and regroup some before kickoff.