Thread: Weekend Cooking & Drinking Thread: Elephant Hunting Edition

vCash

Weekend Cooking & Drinking Thread: Elephant Hunting Edition

Saturday I?m doing Italian for the game and I have to assemble and season my new Weber Master Touch 22.5 Kettle. Hopefully see an upset too

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeastMan View Post
    Saturday I?m doing Italian for the game and I have to assemble and season my new Weber Master Touch 22.5 Kettle. Hopefully see an upset too
    Welcome to the Weber Kettle Club Beast. Enjoy it.

No cooking tonight. In the stands for the First Round playoff matchup between my Glynn Academy Red Terrors and the Valdosta Wildcats. Getting a bucket list team tonight. I?ve never seen Valdosta in person. My Dad is here - and the last time he saw them was when they beat Marietta for the State Title in ?66 by running out bounds down the sideline for 40 yards on a game winning TD - cheating bastards.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    Welcome to the Weber Kettle Club Beast. Enjoy it.
    I'm pretty pumped. I got the master touch series for the gourmet bbq system accessories. I see the cast iron and pizza stone in my near future. The wok is cool too I just don't know how often I'd use it. I'm itching to smoke some ribs on it. Maybe sunday.

vCash
    The Weber kettle is the only way to go. I have two, plus the Weber 22" Smokey Mountain, plus a Go-Anywhere for intense searing....which I used tonight.

Tomahawk Steak. This has been on my to-do list for sometime, and this final weekend of time off before heading back to work on Monday was the perfect occasion.

Also decided to go sous vide with this one. I picked up the Anova sous vide machine while I was gone, but have not had a good reason to try it out yet. This was it. I sealed this gigantic steak with a few tablespoons of butter, and a generous dose of salt and pepper. Into a 135 degree bath it went for 2.5 hours.

Once bath time was over, it was moved over to a seriously hot fire in the Go-Anywhere for a good sear. These were Stubbs hardwood briquettes.

While steaks cooked using this method do not need to rest, I needed it to sit a bit while I finished the deep fried Brussels sprouts.

And here is the finished product:

The sprouts were deep fried and tossed with honey, soy sauce, and homemade Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale vinegar. The steak was a perfect medium, which I have to do as the girls in my house will not go any lower.

This first experiment with the Anova was fun, and very tasty. I look forward to playing with it over the winter.

Go DAWGS!
    Last edited by SapperDawg; 11-11-2017 at 08:02 AM.

vCash
    That looks nothing short of amazing Sapper. What’s your take on the sous vide method?

vCash
    After one go-round, I am a fan right now. I regret not getting a side shot of the steak after cutting, but it was cooked perfectly from side to side.

Here is the guide I used, and has some really good science behind the method: http://www.seriouseats.com/2015/06/f...ide-steak.html

I am most looking forward to trying this on cuts of venison and other tougher small game this fall. I have a very large squirrel in the freezer that is destined to be fried buffalo squirrel after about 4-6 hours in a sous vide bath to tenderize it up.

vCash
    Now that Sapper Has returned home side the quality and pictures in this thread have improved greatly.

" well done Sapper "

vCash
    Tonight’s Italian Night menu for Bama game. Got some family coming over. Already spent over an hour pre cooking and prepping.

Appetizer is a antipasto platter including marinated olives, marinated mozzarella, prosciutto, genoa salami, marinated artichoke hearts, and roasted red/yellow/orange bells.

Salad is a romaine, olive oil, parm, & herb salad topped with fresh mozzarella, trio roasted peppers, and tomatoes.

Dinner is a baked penne bolognese topped with a provolone, romano, & mozz.

Also a bowtie pesto cream chicken pasta topped with sun dried tomatoes.

Garlic bread

vCash
    Solid Beast!

Boudin and TimberBeast for pre-game. Backstrap and Sweet potatoes in a bit.

vCash
    Just me and BD Jr. tonight. He liked my wings so much last weekend he wanted more!

So I did “Cannizzaro” Style wings - pumped up drumsticks on the Weber

vCash
    We picked up some beautiful scallops from the store yesterday. They're seared and served with a puree of peas and mint, with some bacon lardons, and salad leaves w/ lemon vinaigrette.

vCash
    First ribs on the new Weber

vCash
    Looks good Beast. Did you use a rib rack or just lay them on the grill? I like using a rack so i can do 3-4 at a time and do them slow and low. If you have trouble adjusting to cooking on one, pick up the Weber Big Book of Grilling. Great recipes, and really good how to info for cooking on the Weber.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    Looks good Beast. Did you use a rib rack or just lay them on the grill? I like using a rack so i can do 3-4 at a time and do them slow and low. If you have trouble adjusting to cooking on one, pick up the Weber Big Book of Grilling. Great recipes, and really good how to info for cooking on the Weber.
    Just one so I didn’t use the rack but l have one. Thanks for the suggestion on the book. I need to check that out