Thread: Tomorrow is baseball NSD

vCash

Tomorrow is baseball NSD

Our class is currently ranked #2 by Perfect Game- that ranking does not include JUCO players and I think Vanderbilt is ranked #1 if I remember correctly. I expect our classes to be ranked very similarly as long as Cann is our coach.

So who are these guys? Will they even come to MSU? If so what and where will they play?
    Pitchers:

Cole Winn, RHP- Orange Lutheran in California. Was the Colorado POY last year before moving to Colorado. Under Armour All-American. Team USA U18 tryouts Possible first round draft pick and high draft risk. SEC Ace.

Carter Stewert, RHP- Eau Galie in Florida. Has the highest spin rate on his curveball of any prospect per PG. Perfect Game All-American. Team USA U18 tryouts Possible first round draft pick and high draft risk. SEC Ace.

JT Ginn, RHP/1B/3B/DH- Brandon HS in Mississippi. Consistently one of the hardest throwers in his showcases. UA All-American, PG AAG, Team USA U18 member Top 5 round draft potential and moderate draft risk. Legit dual position player in SEC.

Sam Knowlton, RHP- Corner HS in Alabama. Tall RHP at 6'7" that per PG tops out at 94 and has a solid curveball. Gary Henderson is known for developing guys like this into All-SEC pitchers like Alex Meyer and Sean Hjelle. Minimal draft risk. SEC weekend starter.

Regi Grace, RHP- Madison Central in Mississippi. Started the Mississippi 6A State Championship finals as a sophomore and outdueled Mason Robbins. Tops out at 91 MPH per PG. SEC Weekend/Midweek starter or reliever. Minimal draft risk.

Brandon Smith, RHP/3B- Richland HS in Mississippi. Tops out at 93 MPH per PG and could potentially play third base, but I think he ends up sticking at pitcher. Also throws a slider as well. SEC closer. Minimal draft risk.

Christian MacLeod, LHP- Huntsville HS in Alabama. Tops out at 90 MPH per PG and also has a solid curveball. SEC Weekend starter/reliever. Minimal draft risk.

Eric Cerentola, RHP- Ste Trinite, Ontario. Played for the Canadian National Team program that produced Jacob Robson among others. 6'5" 195 pitcher who is underrated by our baseball fans IMO and tops out at 92 MPH. SEC weekend starter. Moderate draft risk.

JUCO Pitchers:

Jack Eagan, LHP- Madison College in Wisconsin. Former Wisconsin POY who had an ERA of 2.16 and hitters hit .157 off of him. Also had 93 K's in 66 IP. SEC starter/Reliever Moderate draft risk.

Colby White, RHP- Pearl River CC in Mississippi. Only 5'10" but emerged this offseason as his fastball jumped up to 94 MPH. SEC Reliever. Minimal Draft Risk.

JP Elkins, RHP- Hinds CC in Mississippi. Similar to White above- 6'0" but emerged this offseason and has been reported to be up to 94-95. Dad taught me drug education at Madison Central and must have done a decent job since I don't have a meth lab in my home. SEC Reliever. Minimal Draft Risk.

Keaton Winn, RHP- Iowa Western CC. Drafted by the Giants last year and is one of the better JUCO prospects in the country. Known for his sinker which is around 91 MPH. SEC Weekend starter. High draft risk.

Catchers:

Luke Hancock, C- Houston HS in Mississippi. Consistently has had some of the best POP times at PG events- the best being 1.88 per PG- and has been committed to MSU since his freshman year. Hits LH and is a line drive hitter. Starting catcher. Minimal draft risk.

Hayden Jones, C- Carroll HS in Indiana. Similar to Hancock but PG has recorded POP times at 1.78 and he has a little bit more power than Hancock and like Hancock is a LH hitter. His POP time has also been consistently among the best. Starting catcher. Minimal draft risk.

JUCO Catcher:

Tucker Childers, C- Northeast Mississippi CC. Big LH bat at 6'3" 235 who has power potential. Grew up an Ole Miss fan but wants to play pro baseball one day. For us I see him as a C/DH/1B and will help give us some depth at catcher next year. Minimal draft risk

Infielders:

Landon Jordan, MIF- Hancock County HS in Mississippi. 6'0" LH bat is one of the best hitters in Mississippi and has started since his 9th grade year. Hit .486 as a sophomore in 6A baseball but the battled injuries as a junior and hit .394 last year. I think he's a little underrated because of that but I think he will have a big senior year. Hard nosed player. 2B/SS for MSU. Minimal draft risk.

Jeremiah Jackson, MIF- St. Luke's HS in Alabama. UA AAG, PG AAG, Team USA U18 National trials. Athletic MIF with good speed. RH bat that has been playing 2B in some of the major events- coming to MSU and playing for the SS whisperer may help him become one at the next level. SS for MSU but can play 2B/3B as well. Moderate draft risk, but getting close to high.

Bryce Bush, 3B/OF- De La Salle HS, Michigan. PG AAG and has won some nationally recognized home run derbies. Obviously the power is there and he has a very good arm and is a plus runner as well but he's only 6'0" tall. He's a RH bat For MSU I see him as a 3B or corner OF depending on need. Moderate draft risk.

JUCO Infielder

Gunner Halter, SS/3B/P- Seminole State College in Oklahoma. Son of former MLB utilityman Shane Halter hit 19 home runs and has a fastball in the mid 90's. RHP/Hitter would be an instant impact player for MSU next year and could be a legit dual position player. SS/3B/Reliver/Closer for MSU. Draft status? Better than you would expect. Moderate risk.

Outfielders:

Basiel Williams, OF- Ponchatoula HS, Louisiana. 6'3" and very athletic OF was invited to a MLB Showcase for top prospects last season. Good runner who could develop power as he develops. CF. Moderate draft risk.

Bryce Brock, OF/P- Lewisburg HS in Mississippi. Undersized but athletic player with good speed. He could also potentially pitch as well. CF or Relief pitcher. Minimal draft risk.

Hunter Blaylock, OF- Madison Central HS in Mississippi. Tall 6'5" 195 athlete that hasn't filled out yet with power potential and good speed. Corner OF or 1B for MSU. Minimal draft risk.

Congratulations to all of these future MSU Bulldogs who will help us get that first National Title! Hail State!

vCash
    Good job Todd and thanks!

vCash
    Setting aside the draft, just looking at the names on the list, were does this class rank among MSU recruiting classes...from 2009 to Today?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Federalist Engineer View Post
    Setting aside the draft, just looking at the names on the list, were does this class rank among MSU recruiting classes...from 2009 to Today?
    I'd honestly would say it's the best. And I like how Cann did it. There is a lot of balance- pitching, catching, infielders, and outfielders.

And I like how he did the JUCO's MUCH better than Cohen. A couple of high end guys that project as hard throwing relief pitchers, a guy that is a power hitter who can be a good role player for us, and the rest are a pitcher that started out at Indiana (Eagan), a guy drafted by the Giants, and another former D-I player in Halter who is a draft prospect.

There are some high end guys that are major draft risks- but there are also a lot of solid prospects who have a decent chance of coming to school like Ginn, Bush, and Williams, some guys that going to be really good college players like Jordan and Hancock, and a few guys that are developmental guys like Blalock.

I'm interested to see how many we get to school. Winn (Both of them) are the only ones that I think we have about a 10% chance of getting.

vCash
    It ain’t about who you sign, it’s about the amount of money players are willing to turn down to attend your school.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    I'd honestly would say it's the best. And I like how Cann did it. There is a lot of balance- pitching, catching, infielders, and outfielders.

And I like how he did the JUCO's MUCH better than Cohen. A couple of high end guys that project as hard throwing relief pitchers, a guy that is a power hitter who can be a good role player for us, and the rest are a pitcher that started out at Indiana (Eagan), a guy drafted by the Giants, and another former D-I player in Halter who is a draft prospect.

There are some high end guys that are major draft risks- but there are also a lot of solid prospects who have a decent chance of coming to school like Ginn, Bush, and Williams, some guys that going to be really good college players like Jordan and Hancock, and a few guys that are developmental guys like Blalock.

I'm interested to see how many we get to school. Winn (Both of them) are the only ones that I think we have about a 10% chance of getting.
    Stewart, Winn and Jackson all likely will never see campus. Ginn, is the one the staff has holding out hope. I don't know personally, hear things from people who know him that he want to play at state badly. But first round money is hard to turn down. Fact is, as Todd said earlier, we are about to do this annually, Cann is going vandy style, signing the best hoping to keep one and then having more great players behind those. Don't get discouraged people when we lose a few to the draft, it's going to happen every year and we are about to be national contenders year in year out in about 2 years.

vCash
    Can't complain about going after the big boys. A 91 MPH sinker would be nice to have in the staff.

vCash
    So how many actually play for us

vCash
    How is JT Ginn a top 5 round prospect and only a moderate draft risk? We need that dude

Batted .483 with 16 homers and can top out at 97?? Yes Please
    Last edited by louisvilledawg; 11-08-2017 at 01:04 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by louisvilledawg View Post
    How is JT Ginn a top 5 round prospect and only a moderate draft risk? We need that dude

Batted .483 with 16 homers and can top out at 97?? Yes Please
    He wants to play at MSU.

vCash
    I don?t remember Dougie Fresh teaching at MC. Was that before Olde Towne?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fader2103 View Post
    I don?t remember Dougie Fresh teaching at MC. Was that before Olde Towne?
    Way before. Before Ridgeland has a HS.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    He wants to play at MSU.
    I believe you, i really do, but if he does want to play at msu, why doesn't he say "yo scouts, imma play at MSU and don't worry about drafting me"

vCash
    I believe you, i really do, but if he does want to play at msu, why doesn't he say "yo scouts, imma play at MSU and don't worry about drafting me"
    He might. He might not. That doesn't happen until the spring. Most guys want to be drafted even if it's in the 40th round and I don't blame them to be honest with you. That's a nice recognition for hard work.

vCash
    Because his dad is a sharp dude and is exploring all his options. Nothing wrong with that.

vCash
    I'd give Ginn a 20 percent chance of coming to Starkville just being honest