Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Stingray vs Brandon Walker

vCash
    Who gives a **** it's the Tosh.0 show ... Tosh rips Bama fans all the time and he has had his share on red neck bammers on his show.
    IF our PR dept and media would worry more about calling out the national media ( Finbaum ) and local media who hurt us 10x more than Stingray. Hell it was the Finbaum show that made this nobody into a somebody.

vCash
    Wait a second. We've got people hiding behind screen names telling us we worry about what people think about us. All the while they're not dropping their real names on here. SMH

vCash
    I graduated from MSU and went on to a prestigious PhD program up north, and I take an immense amount of pride in MSU academics. But I can assure you that I've heard a lot of shit from people up here, cracking jokes about Mississippi. I feel like I try to fight stereotypes about Mississippi every day, and I'm happy to do so. People who feed into those stereotypes (like Stingray) do our university a disservice. Those stereotypes feed into hurting us in academic reputation, which leads to lower academic rankings and less research money. Without making too big a leap, you really can suggest that people who feed these stereotypes directly cost MSU money because of research/better students+alumni and less money means worse football. Just how it goes. If you wanna break stereotypes, you have to make a concerted effort to do so.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
    yet most of the country couldn't tell you which ones came from State and which ones came from OM.
    Well, normally that would be true, but in this case, with that MSU on his polo and the big MSU flag behind him in the trailer, it won't be hard for non-southerners to figure out who he's rep'n.
    Last edited by BeardoMSU; 11-07-2017 at 04:51 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bostondawg View Post
    I graduated from MSU and went on to a prestigious PhD program up north, and I take an immense amount of pride in MSU academics. But I can assure you that I've heard a lot of shit from people up here, cracking jokes about Mississippi. I feel like I try to fight stereotypes about Mississippi every day, and I'm happy to do so. People who feed into those stereotypes (like Stingray) do our university a disservice. Those stereotypes feed into hurting us in academic reputation, which leads to lower academic rankings and less research money. Without making too big a leap, you really can suggest that people who feed these stereotypes directly cost MSU money because of research/better students+alumni and less money means worse football. Just how it goes. If you wanna break stereotypes, you have to make a concerted effort to do so.
    All. Of. This. ^^^

vCash
    Excellent post and I agree wholeheartedly! He’s an embarrassment, period.

Head Elitedawg Croot Reporter
    vCash
    We all have idiot cousins we have to deal with. And don’t want them where we work and play. And we sure as hell don’t want them representing our family.

vCash
    I want to maintain the kindness that Stingray claims our alumni base represents. I think he's right, and it's a good virtue to aspire to have.

But when people think of MSU, I want them to think of academic research and a competitive spirit. I want our university and state to be well-regarded in academic, business, artistic, and football circles. People who perpetuate stereotypes for their own brand hold us back.

vCash
    Delete
    Last edited by yjnkdawg; 11-07-2017 at 08:21 PM.

vCash
    Ugh
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Absolutely. You couldn't have said it better.

vCash
    I stood at our tailgate 2 years ago and watched OM fans making fun of him and getting pics with him. It was so embarrassing I almost punched a couple of them. It was ridiculous. Why didn't I? Because he was totally oblivious to the fact that they were making fun of him.

Bama has Phyllis
    Auburn has Tammy
    We have that moron

It is what it is

vCash
    Dude is more interested in himself and his “fame” than he is State. He uses State for attention.

vCash
    So, basically we have two MSU social media cowboys fighting each other? Gotta love the Internet.

I agree that Stingray's persona doesn't represent MSU well. Also agree with those that don't like the way Walker handled it.

vCash
    I could've sworn Stingray is in Kid Rock's music video: Podunk

vCash

Here's the deal

I love Mississippi State. There's a chance Sting Ray does, too. And there's a chance he's a nice guy.

But he is not given a platform because he's a nice guy. He's given a platform because he fits a stereotype and he plays the role of a glorified cartoon character. Which is fine. But when he is introduced on these shows, he isn't introduced as college football enthusiast Sting Ray. He isn't introduced as SEC super fan Sting Ray. He is introduced as Mississippi State fan Sting Ray. He is paraded about as the prototypical State fan and I got tired of it.

Maybe I was being a little sensitive. But I'm gonna use whatever platform I have to defend State when it's getting embarrassed.

Watch the Tosh preview. This guy sits there and grins while a national TV host dressed in overalls, a straw hat and bare feet makes jokes at his and our expense. Defend that.

The bottom line is that this guy embarrasses Mississippi State for his own personal gain. Think about that.

Maybe I went about it the wrong way, but somebody had to say something.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
    Honestly, this really rubs me the wrong way and I will encourage everyone I know to stop following Walker. His treating Stingray like shit looks absolutely horrible for our fanbase and isn't something decent people do. We pride ourselves on being friendly and welcoming, this isn't that. This simply isn't how we treat our own, that's not what this fanbase is about.

Make fun of Stingray but know you're being assholes. The guy is passionate about State and frankly there is no bad publicity unless you're doing something illegal or, well, being an asshole.
    Nm, beat to the punch a long time ago.
    Last edited by WeWonItAll(Most); 11-07-2017 at 08:57 PM.

vCash
    Thanks for posting Walker

Count me in on Walker's side

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Walker View Post
    I love Mississippi State. There's a chance Sting Ray does, too. And there's a chance he's a nice guy.

But he is not given a platform because he's a nice guy. He's given a platform because he fits a stereotype and he plays the role of a glorified cartoon character. Which is fine. But when he is introduced on these shows, he isn't introduced as college football enthusiast Sting Ray. He isn't introduced as SEC super fan Sting Ray. He is introduced as Mississippi State fan Sting Ray. He is paraded about as the prototypical State fan and I got tired of it.

Maybe I was being a little sensitive. But I'm gonna use whatever platform I have to defend State when it's getting embarrassed.

Watch the Tosh preview. This guy sits there and grins while a national TV host dressed in overalls, a straw hat and bare feet makes jokes at his and our expense. Defend that.

The bottom line is that this guy embarrasses Mississippi State for his own personal gain. Think about that.

Maybe I went about it the wrong way, but somebody had to say something.
    Very well said.

If he is truly an MSU fan, he’ll realize the harm he is causing and stop. If he doesn’t, he’s just all about himself.

vCash
    I’m with Walker.