Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kobe Appeal (CL link)

vCash

Kobe Appeal (CL link)

So....someone want to take a crack at that last paragraph?

http://www.clarionledger.com/story/s...ase/837968001/

Full text below:

The next stage of the Rebel Rags case started Monday.
    On behalf of Mississippi State defensive end Kobe Jones, attorney Chris Shapley appealed to the Mississippi Supreme Court on Monday after Judge John Kelly Luther denied Jones' and Leo Lewis? motions to sever and for transfer of venue last month. Lewis? appeal is expected to be filed on Tuesday.
    Rebel Rags' response to the petitions would be due in 14 days after they are received.
    Rebel Rags filed the lawsuit in June against Lewis, Jones and Lindsey Miller, Laremy Tunsil's estranged stepfather, and cited defamation, commercial disparagement and civil conspiracy.
    The complaint stemmed from statements Lewis, Jones and Miller gave to the NCAA's enforcement staff during its investigation of Ole Miss football. Rebel Rags argues the trio knowingly gave false information to the enforcement staff with the intent to harm the Oxford-based outlet store.
    Venue has been a point of contention in this case. Rebel Rags' side felt that since the statements intended to cause harm in Lafayette County, that's where the venue should be.

Lewis and Jones' representatives argued that since the alleged statements were made in Starkville, the proper venue was Oktibbeha County.
    In response the issue of an alleged conspiracy, Lewis and Jones signed affidavits saying that neither know Miller, have never met Miller nor have they ever communicated with Miller, according to documents obtained by Clarion Ledger.
    "Once the court of proper venue is established, Jones will prove that this case is frivolous and was filed for improper motives," the latest filing stated. "If any investigation at all had been done prior to filing suit, Rebel Rags and its counsel would know that Jones never told anyone that Rebel Rags gave him or paid for any clothing he received. In fact, he denied any knowledge of such to the NCAA investigators."

vCash
    Knowing how those knuckleheads have botched everything in this investigation - I?d say the odds are the Student Athlete mentioned in Allegation #9 alleged to be Kobe isn?t Kobe. Wouldn?t it be a riot if their whole conspiracy case was based on a wrong ID?

vCash
    Apparently RR and their legal counsel didn't do their homework prior to filing their lawsuit according to Kobe's attorney...To sum it up. It sounds to me like RR allegedly never has had a legitimate lawsuit based on the grounds that they are claiming, and allegedly filed it for improper motives against Kobe. I still don't know why his Attorney doesn't go the discrimination route against RR. Maybe somebody else has a different interpretation?
    Last edited by yjnkdawg; 11-06-2017 at 09:08 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    Knowing how those knuckleheads have botched everything in this investigation - I?d say the odds are the Student Athlete mentioned in Allegation #9 alleged to be Kobe isn?t Kobe. Wouldn?t it be a riot if their whole conspiracy case was based on a wrong ID?

All things are possible.

Bennie Brown Know-It-All
    vCash
    Did they file suit on the wrong student athlete? Surely not. That would be amateur hour.

vCash
    It's bad wording, probably intentionally. Here is my stab at what is being said. It's important to put it into context, claims of "conspiracy" are specifically being addressed.

In regard to conspiracy... If any investigation at all had been done prior to filing suit, Rebel Rags and its counsel would know that Jones never told anyone that Rebel Rags gave Leo or paid for any clothing Leo received. In fact, Kobe denied any knowledge of such to the NCAA investigators.

Attorney is saying that any claims of conspiracy are nonsense because Kobe has never met Miller and actually denied to the NCAA any knowledge of Leo receiving benefits.

That New Coach - That's better than the Old Coach
    vCash

vCash

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SailingDawg View Post

Yep, he should have an excellent legal interpretation ****

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ifyouonlyknew View Post

Not sure when that photo was taken , but it sure doesn't look like the OM faithful have abandonded RR, nor the business being in a poverty status.

vCash
    IF the last paragraph is true, that’s bad news for OM and really bad news for Rebel Rags....

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SailingDawg View Post
    So that was his interpretation of what we all just read??!! What an idiot!!

vCash
    Y?all they been telling us for awhile now that we are in big trouble********

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
    It's bad wording, probably intentionally. Here is my stab at what is being said. It's important to put it into context, claims of "conspiracy" are specifically being addressed.

In regard to conspiracy... If any investigation at all had been done prior to filing suit, Rebel Rags and its counsel would know that Jones never told anyone that Rebel Rags gave Leo or paid for any clothing Leo received. In fact, Kobe denied any knowledge of such to the NCAA investigators.

Attorney is saying that any claims of conspiracy are nonsense because Kobe has never met Miller and actually denied to the NCAA any knowledge of Leo receiving benefits.
    This is what it actually says.

Banned
    vCash
    Kobe’s lawyer is saying that there is no collusion because Kobe never told the NCAA that RR gave Leo anything and in fact states that he had no knowledge of such.

If this is the Hill OM plans to die on, talk about shoddy lawyering.

vCash
    Good for Kobe for standing up for himself.

Leo is up next. That should be entertaining.

vCash
    Just shows there was no collusion, which we all already knew.

vCash
    Sounds like a whole lot of nothing has happened so far. Fighting to get in front of a favorable judge probably. Bet there are some State grads in Oktibehha County. Not sure though.

vCash
    Ole RR proves once again to be not so bright. Let's back to around October 2016, when according to public information, RR purchased a PLANE and is the first found recording of that purchase is in the same time period, October 2016.
    Why would anyone purchase a plane and then file a LAWSUIT against two college football players. Can one say slander, defamation of character, liable, etc.

As too the judges:. Both a good but since they are elected they could revise themselves and ask for as judge from out of district. With jurors shouldn't be any issue.
    Last edited by Mimi's Babies; 11-07-2017 at 04:03 AM.

vCash
    It appears that KJ said "I got stuff but I didn't pay for it. I'm not sure who did".

NCAA took his statement, investigated, and apparently found outisde/cooberating evidence of who provided it. Thus listing this as a violation in the NOA.

All this time a lot of people assumed that KJ named names. It now appears he didn't but the NCAA may have outside evidence of who provided it. If this is the case then a defamation suit it absolutely ungrounded against KJ. It would be like me saying "someone bought me something from Macy's. I don't know who....but I didn't pay for it". And then Macy's suing me for defamation. Makes no sense.

All very interesting. Can't wait to see how this unfolds.