Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A&M rumblings... Sumlin may be toast...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Really Clark? View Post
    He was already their a year when they got a 4 year probation and lost 7 scholarships (self imposed 2 the previous year for a total of 9 scholarships lost). Perles was a little over .500 (after the forfeited their 1994 season wins) in his 12 years at MI State and in 1990 finished first in Big 10. Perles last three years he won 5, 6, and 5 games. Saban went 6, 6, 7, and 6 wins his first 4 years and he was under fire to turn in better year or his 5th most likely was his last. There was issues in the program and multiple losses to losing teams and blow out losses that his upset wins wasn't going to carry him. He had a really good last year but people gloss over average first 4 years, even with the sanctions he was under fire prior to his 5th season.
    I rarely see anybody gloss over his first 4 years there, but I regularly see people try to use his tenure at Mich. St. as some kind of a black mark on his resume'. I would actually make the argument that if anyone is glossing over anything it is you.....you're making it sound like NCAA sanctions/probation (and the cloud that hung leading up to the NCAA's final ruling during his first year -- similar to this year at OM) at a mid tier school in an elite conference isn't that big of a deal and I would strongly disagree with that. My opinion is that he did a hell of a job weathering that storm -- he went to bowl games in 3 out of his first 4 years (back when bowls were a lot harder to come by) and won more games than a probation free Mich. St. had in the 4 years before he got there -- and then in year 5 he fielded a top 10 team.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sandwolf View Post
    I rarely see anybody gloss over his first 4 years there, but I regularly see people try to use his tenure at Mich. St. as some kind of a black mark on his resume'. I would actually make the argument that if anyone is glossing over anything it is you.....you're making it sound like NCAA sanctions/probation (and the cloud that hung leading up to the NCAA's final ruling during his first year -- similar to this year at OM) at a mid tier school in an elite conference isn't that big of a deal and I would strongly disagree with that. My opinion is that he did a hell of a job weathering that storm -- he went to bowl games in 3 out of his first 4 years (back when bowls were a lot harder to come by) and won more games than a probation free Mich. St. had in the 4 years before he got there -- and then in year 5 he fielded a top 10 team.
    I can't give him a pat on the back either for those years when the administration was ready to get rid of him after those same 4 years for the issues inside the program and the piss poor play that was questionable, especially blow out losses when he was a defensive guru. Much the same as McElwain and his offensive struggles. I definitely give him credit for the program not completely collapsing during that time but all things being equal, if he only won 6 games again his 5th year he would have been fired. I can't say he was doing a great or even good job if it was in the balance like that. Especially with the behind the scenes issues going on. Even in his last year he had 2 road blow out losses to Purdue and Wis in back to back weeks that caused that same issue to be talked about again with his defense. But that was a great year for them

Senior Member Interpolation_Dawg_EX's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HaggardDawg View Post
    Some may disagree but I don?t think Sumlin is a bad coach. Sometimes, it?s just not a good fit. Rich Rod was awesome at WV. He didn?t forget how to coach at Michigan. It just wasn?t a good fit. Just because s coach is good at a ?non blue blood school? doesn?t mean they?ll be great at a blue blood school. See butch jones, McElwain, Sumlin, etc.

This applies to Mullen. He may would be great at UF, UT, USC, etc. Or he may be terrible at those places. There?s only been one coach I can remember that had been great everywhere he?s been and that is Saban, and he sucked with the Dolphins.

Honestly, Sumlin might be great at MSU or OM with the right staff.
    Sumlin was a good fit at Houston and early on at aTm because he walked into Case Keenum and Johnny Manziel....