Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A&M rumblings... Sumlin may be toast...

vCash

A&M rumblings... Sumlin may be toast...

not that this is a great shock...

https://thereadoptional.com/sources-...n-4d06a92776e9
    "It is not courage to resist TUSK; It is courage to accept TUSK."

No.

Easy there buddy. Tusk is...well Tusk is Tusk. Tireddawg 12.20.17

vCash
    Fake news*
    Death penalty or bust!!!***

vCash
    Another possibility for the BearSharks opens up. They already think they can get Charlie Strong.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
    Another possibility for the BearSharks opens up. They already think they can get Charlie Strong.
    If Sumlin can’t win with the resources at aTm, he ain’t winning anywhere in the SEC. Back to Houston I guess.
    Everyone wants to be a beast...until its time to do what beasts do.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Leroy Jenkins View Post
    If Sumlin can’t win with the resources at aTm, he ain’t winning anywhere in the SEC. Back to Houston I guess.
    It's not all about resources. Sometimes guys aren't good fits. Plus, if it was about money, where has Texas A&M been for the past 100 years?

vCash
    Sumlin to Kansas?

vCash
    Sumlins a big 12 coach. No defense required in that league.

vCash
    Some may disagree but I don?t think Sumlin is a bad coach. Sometimes, it?s just not a good fit. Rich Rod was awesome at WV. He didn?t forget how to coach at Michigan. It just wasn?t a good fit. Just because s coach is good at a ?non blue blood school? doesn?t mean they?ll be great at a blue blood school. See butch jones, McElwain, Sumlin, etc.

This applies to Mullen. He may would be great at UF, UT, USC, etc. Or he may be terrible at those places. There?s only been one coach I can remember that had been great everywhere he?s been and that is Saban, and he sucked with the Dolphins.

Honestly, Sumlin might be great at MSU or OM with the right staff.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hasu Dackds View Post
    It's not all about resources. Sometimes guys aren't good fits. Plus, if it was about money, where has Texas A&M been for the past 100 years?
    aTm has never won big. I'm sure they have a lot of money but they've never had much of a football program outside the Jackie years and Bear Bryant 100 years ago. They have a losing record against pretty much every blue blood of the SWC and Big12.

They can hire and fire all they want. The culture there just isn't very attractive to some
    People. Most people probably, with other options.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HaggardDawg View Post
    Some may disagree but I don?t think Sumlin is a bad coach. Sometimes, it?s just not a good fit. Rich Rod was awesome at WV. He didn?t forget how to coach at Michigan. It just wasn?t a good fit. Just because s coach is good at a ?non blue blood school? doesn?t mean they?ll be great at a blue blood school. See butch jones, McElwain, Sumlin, etc.

This applies to Mullen. He may would be great at UF, UT, USC, etc. Or he may be terrible at those places. There?s only been one coach I can remember that had been great everywhere he?s been and that is Saban, and he sucked with the Dolphins.

Saban wasn't great at Michigan St. He had one good year but his other years were very average and there were major rumblings that another .500 year and he would have been let go.

Bear Bryant was pretty good every where he went. Bobby Bowden was good everywhere.

vCash
    That?s what I?m saying. Those types are so few and far between.

But as far as Sumlin is concerned, if our job ever came open I?d give him a call. He may not be my first choice, but he could be a good fit at MSU.

vCash
    Saban chose Daunte Culpepper over Drew Brees

Belichik sucked with the Browns.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HaggardDawg View Post

Good post.

vCash
    I would worry about MSU, defensively, with a Sumlin hire, hypothetically speaking.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bothrops View Post
    I would worry about MSU, defensively, with a Sumlin hire, hypothetically speaking.
    Me too. He?s never had a decent defense.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Really Clark? View Post
    Saban wasn't great at Michigan St. He had one good year but his other years were very average and there were major rumblings that another .500 year and he would have been let go.
    He was pretty damn good at Michigan State. It just took longer to see the results because they got hit with NCAA sanctions/probation the year that he got there and he was doing a rebuild at a mid tier program during the Big 10's heyday.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bothrops View Post
    I can?t argue with that concern. I think if he tweaked his offensive philosophy a little to try and incorporate a little more balanced attack, he will do well wherever he ends up.

I?m not advocating for Sumlin to be Cohen?s first call should the day come that DM leaves, but I wouldn?t be opposed to it. I think he would fit culturally with us and assuming he could change his philosophy of finesse with a little more grit. It goes back to fit and culture for me. Some guys just don?t do well with programs that demand a lot of you in many other areas other than football. Only a few (Saban, Urban, no one else) can command the respect where admin, boosters, and players just let them do what they do and to hell with all the other stuff.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sandwolf View Post
    He was pretty damn good at Michigan State. It just took longer to see the results because they got hit with NCAA sanctions/probation the year that he got there and he was doing a rebuild at a mid tier program during the Big 10's heyday.
    He was already their a year when they got a 4 year probation and lost 7 scholarships (self imposed 2 the previous year for a total of 9 scholarships lost). Perles was a little over .500 (after the forfeited their 1994 season wins) in his 12 years at MI State and in 1990 finished first in Big 10. Perles last three years he won 5, 6, and 5 games. Saban went 6, 6, 7, and 6 wins his first 4 years and he was under fire to turn in better year or his 5th most likely was his last. There was issues in the program and multiple losses to losing teams and blow out losses that his upset wins wasn't going to carry him. He had a really good last year but people gloss over average first 4 years, even with the sanctions he was under fire prior to his 5th season.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by somebodyshotmypaw View Post
    Saban chose Daunte Culpepper over Drew Brees
    Actually- the Dolphins Team Doc made that call. Wouldn't sign off on Brees
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    Actually- the Dolphins Team Doc made that call. Wouldn't sign off on Brees
    Yep.