Thread: Georgia DNR Gets It re:Speckled Trout

vCash

Georgia DNR Gets It re:Speckled Trout

I saw this and immediately thought of Brunswick. You think GA anglers will go for the voluntary release over 18? This screams for a slot in MS/LA.

http://coastalgadnr.org/ga-dnr-reque...220;roe”

Last edited by BeastMan; 01-10-2018 at 09:40 PM.

vCash
    Link not working for me. Are they just asking people to release over 18?? What?s the population of trout like over there and have they done legitimate research? The jump to a 15?min in MS with, limited at best research, still burns me up.

vCash
    Link fixed and basically ya. The fact sheet explains it well. Basically, in cold weather small trout die so please throw back anything over18

http://coastalgadnr.org/sites/defaul...Fact_Sheet.pdf

vCash
    La doesn't need a slot for trout

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Duckdog View Post
    La doesn't need a slot for trout
    Probably true but I just hate seeing a bunch of big fish killed. There is an argument if the bigger fish breeed bigger fish or if any fish can breed the big fish given the right amount of time. Even though there isn't really any hard data on that I lean toward the big fish genetics being that there are a few places, like mosquito lagoon in Fla, that are known for the huge trout. The small ones are better to eat anyway. Maybe I'm a hippy but I'd like us to protect the big fish more.

vCash
    I actually serve on DNR's Coastal Advisory Committee, and we get to be involved in the discussions about initiatives like this.

GA DNR did an email survey about this (and a whole slew of coastal fishing issues) late last year that went to all salt water permit holders. We are really, really good about making science based and user based decisions on things like this. The results were very interesting. In short, the license holders told us they would support such an effort. The trout population is strong, but could be better.

Personally, I would say that the everyday fisherman - like me and my dad - are pretty aware of the benefits of catch and release and usually only keep what we are going to eat. Personally, I would keep a monster, say 22"+. You catch enough in that 16-20 range that keeping 1-2 to eat and throwing back the rest is pretty reasonable, and a lot of the everyday people will follow it. I think you will also get cooperation from the Charter Captains too.

We are very, very lucky, that GA DNR has had some great leadership over the past few years - and the Coastal Resources office is particularly strong. I know a lot of the field staff in the Coastal office, and know the DNR Commissioner, Director of State Parks, and Director of Historic Preservation really well. Some top notch folks.
    Last edited by BrunswickDawg; 01-11-2018 at 04:52 PM.

vCash
    Big Lake is famous for very big trout. I caught them 20 years ago to now. The stupid rules they have out there now are just that stupid. If anything regulate the guides

vCash
    Big Lake is famous for very big trout. I caught them 20 years ago to now. The stupid rules they have out there now are just that stupid. If anything regulate the guides
    I get the decision and the reasoning Big Lake did what they did. Texas goes to 5 and right across the border it’s 25. That’s a recipe for too much pressure. To me, it’s protecting a local resource. Us West MS folks that fish the East Biloxi marsh fish an area LA folks really don’t hit (especially the Isle au Pitre, Door Point, Brush side). And then we gotta earn it and get the hell beat out of us in the sound with regularity.

vCash
    I get the decision and the reasoning Big Lake did what they did. Texas goes to 5 and right across the border it’s 25. That’s a recipe for too much pressure. To me, it’s protecting a local resource. Us West MS folks that fish the East Biloxi marsh fish an area LA folks really don’t hit (especially the Isle au Pitre, Door Point, Brush side). And then we gotta earn it and get the hell beat out of us in the sound with regularity.