Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What do you think Dan's rationale was for...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    If a player is good enough to leave after 3 years, I think they should be good enough to get significant playing their freshman year. Shump may still do it, but I don't see it yet. Gurley and yeldon got big time playing time with big time rb's already on the roster. Shump has only shown glimpses of potentional and saying he'll leave for nfl after 3 is premature. Chris jones on the other hand is definitely deserving of the hype
    Exactly. And as someone pointed out here a couple of weeks ago, when is the last time we've had a running back leave after 3 years? I feel like Mullen is simply making good on a recruiting promise. But even still..three more years of Shumpert coupled with 4 of Williams don't look too bad.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    Why do people think Shumpert is a 3 year guy? That's a little ridiculous at this point
    I agree. You can see it in Chris jones, but shump has only shown potential.

vCash
    Why do people think Shumpert is a 3 year guy? That's a little ridiculous at this point
    It doesn't matter. You don't only avoid redshirting if you think they'll leave after three years. We will still have him for 4 years if he doesn't leave. The question is, would he stick around for his redshirt senior year, his 5th year, and if he's as good as advertised, he won't.

Running backs leave early more than any other position because they want to have as little tread on the tires as possible, so that's something to think about. And again, is he going to stick around for 5 years? I doubt it.

Had we redshirted Dixon, he probably still would have left after his redshirt junior year in 2009. Shumpert has more natural talent than Dixon did.

And if he's not good enough to be drafted after 4 years in the program, it's not really going to be crucial that we have him back for a 5th anyway. So why redshirt him?

vCash
    From the small sample size I've seen he doesn't seem like a 3 yr and done guy. Alex Collins on the other hand.....he is.