Thread: Timeout rules - icing a kicker

vCash

Timeout rules - icing a kicker

Solid article on SB Nation comparing college football and NFL timeout rules with regard to icing the kicker. If college football would adopt the NFL rule that only one timeout can be called in a dead-ball period, it would cut out some of the most annoying dead time not imposed by TV. If a kicker is consistently solid at normal field goal range (I realize most folks on this board haven't been too familiar with this concept in recent years), the odds are they'll make it even if iced. The end of the Arkansas-TSUN game last weekend is a prime example.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    "Give us your tired and weak and we will make them strong. Bring us your foreign songs and we will sing along.
    Leave us your broken dreams, we'll give them time to mend. There's still a lot of love living in the Promiseland"
    - as sung by Willie Nelson

vCash
    I agree, adopt the NFL rule.

HOWEVER, it was amazing to watch Arkansas' kicker drain 3 in a row. Tits Luke gave that kid so much confidence.
    It was never a doubt that the fourth one was going through.

vCash
    Yall should have been listening on the radio, Dick Cross was coming unglued because the refs were letting the Arkansas kicker kick each one. It was typical OM Butthurt 101.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgbite View Post
    Yall should have been listening on the radio, Dick Cross was coming unglued because the refs were letting the Arkansas kicker kick each one. It was typical OM Butthurt 101.
    I was listening. Yellum didn't like it either. It was pretty funny to hear them discuss it.

vCash
    It doesn't always work. The week before a kicker made all 3 timeout kicks but missed the real one when it counted. That's probably where Luke got the idea from.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgbite View Post
    I agree w him. It was bs. They should have not been allowed to snap it and kick. It was blantant. You'd be pissed too if it happened to us. Just wasn't right.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DawgRockur View Post
    I agree, adopt the NFL rule.

HOWEVER, it was amazing to watch Arkansas' kicker drain 3 in a row. Tits Luke gave that kid so much confidence.
    It was never a doubt that the fourth one was going through.
    Luke is racking up quite a few nominations for dumbest coaching moment of the year.

Going for it on 4th and long instead of kicking against Cal?
    Putting transfer-risk star QB back in the game with a wrecked knee?
    Giving the Arky kicker three practice kicks on a game-deciding field goal attempt?

Still 1/3 of the season to go to squeeze in some more.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Homedawg View Post
    I agree w him. It was bs. They should have not been allowed to snap it and kick. It was blantant. You'd be pissed too if it happened to us. Just wasn't right.
    As great as it was, this is true. Should be delay of game. It's not at present though, so more power to them.

vCash
    Is it against the rules? I'm asking because I don't know. The only thing I can think of that they could call is delay of game but it really didn't delay anything because it was a timeout. I'm curious as to whether there is anything in the rule book that addresses this situation. I guarantee you the next time this happens the kicking team is going to do the same thing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LC Dawg View Post
    Is it against the rules? I'm asking because I don't know. The only thing I can think of that they could call is delay of game but it really didn't delay anything because it was a timeout. I'm curious as to whether there is anything in the rule book that addresses this situation. I guarantee you the next time this happens the kicking team is going to do the same thing.
    No, but I think it could be in the future under the same premise as some of the delay of game calls in basketball pertaining to extra shots or throwing the ball away. It doesn't really delay the game in the grand scheme of things, but it's the best way to employ a "spirit of the game" kind of rule. Also you could say it slows down the officials in getting things set again during the timeout.

vCash
    Basketball game happens all the time, shooter just puts one up after the whistle. What kind of delay of game can happen during a time out? If you don't like it then don't ice him or call it way ahead of them getting ready to snap the ball.

vCash
    Tits Luke
    HAHAHAH, HAILSTATE!

vCash
    I think La Tech will be able to pick their score against that excuse that the bears call a defense I hope its another L for that bunch up north.

vCash
    Piss on that. If I?m HC, I?m telling my snapper to send it back unless the ref takes the ball away or stands bt snapper and holder. Otherwise, assume nothing and carry on.

vCash
    17 Luke and any other coach that does that. If the ball gets snapped then kick it.

vCash
    BS, the delay of game is calling 3 timeouts to ice the kicker, that's against the spirit of the game. unless we need it***

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FanninDawg View Post
    BS, the delay of game is calling 3 timeouts to ice the kicker, that's against the spirit of the game. unless we need it***
    This.

If they call timeout after everyone is set, they should go ahead and kick the ball. If a team doesn't want that to happen, they shouldn't call timeout. It's all part of the calculated gamble of calling the timeout....are you icing the kicker, or are you giving him some extra practice?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tbonewannabe View Post
    Basketball game happens all the time, shooter just puts one up after the whistle. What kind of delay of game can happen during a time out? If you don't like it then don't ice him or call it way ahead of them getting ready to snap the ball.
    They did call it way ahead. It wasn't a second or two. It was 5 or 6 seconds. Every time.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ckDOG View Post
    Piss on that. If I?m HC, I?m telling my snapper to send it back unless the ref takes the ball away or stands bt snapper and holder. Otherwise, assume nothing and carry on.
    Oh I agree w that as far as Arkansas was concerned as long as they were allowed to then go ahead. But you guys remember all that when someone does it to us don't get all pissy.