Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: So, was McCann right for stepping up to Gomez after he pimped the HR tonight?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RougeDawg View Post
    He got beat, so suck it up.
    He was sucking it up. They were all sucking it up until Gomez turned into a 3-year-old.

McCann was wrong if you understand the game of baseball.
    That's interesting, then, that every single person that I've heard who is associated with baseball or used to play in the majors, has sided with McCann.

Gomez got his 'revenge' by blasting a HR off Maholm, that's fine. But don't be a douche and act like that. McCann and Freeman didn't react until Gomez decided to throw a hissy fit. Tell me the last time you saw a major league player, or really any player on any level, scream at a pitcher all the way around the bases on a HR. Yet I promise you catchers yell at batters all the time when they try to pimp anything.

It's funny that everyone keeps referencing the Brewers' announcers as though their view is the definitive view of the situation. For what it's worth, the Braves' announcers called Gomez a nut job and said he started it all. I guess we should also consider their version fact?

vCash
    Reading this thread is funny as Hell. There is either a love or hate for the braves much like the Yankees and Red Sox. And if u had a stamp for each side, you could go thru this thread and clearly stamp which side each person is on. I'm just a sports fan. Don't give a damn about mlb til post season. Not really a fan of any team since Will left the Giants. I didn't see it live, didn't see the pre at bat stare down or any of the past history Just this video. From this video, Gomez appears to have had a bad day til this happened. Don't know if the wife/girlfriend was riding his ass or his mom didn't pack his lunch. Whatever. The dude had a big ass chip in his shoulder and he let all that out when he hit the homer. I know players talk going around the bases sometimes but Gomez was talking way too much crap going around the bases. He was showing up Maholm and the Braves and they stood up. I've also never seen a catcher block hone plate on a homer before like McCann did which was a stupid but ballsy thing to do. If Gonez doesn't pose and glare none of this happens.

Bottom line in my opinion. The Braves need McCann and Freeman for the post season so they don't need to do something stupid and get suspended, and more importantly Paul Maholm needs to stop giving up homers and get some W's or the Braves won't be doing much in the post season. Oh and that was an entertaining few minutes to watch.

Banned
    vCash
    Everyone is basing their opinions off of last night but it goes back way longer than one night. MLBNetwork did a great breakdown of all the at-bats between Gomez and Maholm and this is a 4+ year "fight" between the two players. Gomez has simply OWNED Maholm and Maholm doesn't like it. Gomez always pimps his hits and Maholm has hit him several times for it. McCann told him not to pimp shit and that made Gomez furious. The rest you saw. The incident was mild compared to what would of happened in Gomez's next at-bat vs Maholm. We would of seen Grienke vs Quentin part 2. I can't wait till the next time Gomez faces Maholm.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by whosyourdawgy View Post
    more importantly Paul Maholm needs to stop giving up homers and get some W's or the Braves won't be doing much in the post season. Oh and that was an entertaining few minutes to watch.
    We can definitely agree on this, though overall he pitched fairly well yesterday...just didn't get any help. The offense has been terrible lately and has to get at least lukewarm again, or we aren't going anywhere in the playoffs.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg61 View Post
    I can't wait till the next time Gomez faces Maholm.
    He's gonna get hit again.

Banned
    vCash
    This important question to me is, does the run count? He didn't touch home plate before the brawl. How does that get scored?

vCash
    Haters gonna hate and it's always the other teams fault. Go Braves !!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by wobblyh View Post
    This important question to me is, does the run count? He didn't touch home plate before the brawl. How does that get scored?
    It's a run due to interference, I believe.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    It's a run due to interference, I believe.
    That makes sense. My dad is a stickler for rules and gets pissed every time guys take their helmets off coming around third on a homerun. Yells at the tv that they should be out. I once tried to suggest that might not be a rule anymore (or ever in MLB) but he wasn't having it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by wobblyh View Post
    That makes sense. My dad is a stickler for rules and gets pissed every time guys take their helmets off coming around third on a homerun. Yells at the tv that they should be out. I once tried to suggest that might not be a rule anymore (or ever in MLB) but he wasn't having it.
    Ha. Yeah, pretty sure it isn't a rule. I guess it's possible there's a specific rule that you can't intentionally take your helmet off, but guys have their helmets fly off running the bases all the time.

vCash
    What it comes down to is this:

Everything in sports and society today is about being brash and getting noticed. Get the attention...and this is why baseball is on the decline.

Baseball is about being respectful, respecting the game and people before you. Having some humility. Old school baseball guys arent going to put up with that bullshit and are going to get in your ass when you are disrespectful of other players and the game.
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Here is my thing. McCann Gomez and Johnson should have all been ejected. McCann for blocking the plate on a homer even after an ump was clearly telling him to move. Gomez for his part and Johnson for the cheap shot

vCash
    The problem with just ejecting everybody involved is that the message you send is, you'll be ejected if you act like a punk all the way around the field, but you'll also be ejected if you try to do anything about it as the opposing team.

McCann didn't really do anything ultimately; he just stood in the basepath. I don't see that as reason for ejection. Freeman apparently was ejected for throwing an elbow; I didn't see it, but fine. Maybe toss Reed Johnson, but all he really did was shove.

vCash
    Reed clearly punched Gomez in the head. No push at all. I don't agree with freeman getting ejected. I didn't see him elbow Ramirez. But I agree with someone else. You let him touch the plate then you say what you gotta say. He directly didnt do what an ump told him to.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Fader21 View Post
    He directly didnt do what an ump told him to.
    I'm sure an ump would tell everyone to stay in the dugout. So do you toss everybody?

The bottom line is, I've literally never seen somebody do what Gomez did, and as an ump you have to understand the opposing team is going to react to that. Toss out anybody who throws a punch or an elbow or whatever (I didn't see Reed Johnson's punch but I never saw a close-up of it; if he did, he should have been tossed), and let everybody else keep playing.

vCash
    Well we would have to agree to disagree on the McCann part. I wish there was a baseball ump on the board to share his thoughts. I'm not talking a little leaguer ump though

vCash
    Something I haven't seen mentioned yet is how Gomez after McCann blocked the plate, he acted like he wanted to fight yet mysteriously got as far away as possible from the braves players. He was scared.

vCash
    There was an MLB ump that weighed in last night. He didn't toss him.

Founder of Summer's Eve
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    He was sucking it up. They were all sucking it up until Gomez turned into a 3-year-old.

That's interesting, then, that every single person that I've heard who is associated with baseball or used to play in the majors, has sided with McCann.

Gomez got his 'revenge' by blasting a HR off Maholm, that's fine. But don't be a douche and act like that. McCann and Freeman didn't react until Gomez decided to throw a hissy fit. Tell me the last time you saw a major league player, or really any player on any level, scream at a pitcher all the way around the bases on a HR. Yet I promise you catchers yell at batters all the time when they try to pimp anything.

It's funny that everyone keeps referencing the Brewers' announcers as though their view is the definitive view of the situation. For what it's worth, the Braves' announcers called Gomez a nut job and said he started it all. I guess we should also consider their version fact?
    He pimped it and stared down pretty boy Maholm. Freeman started jawing. I

Since all these so called "baseball people" are siding with BicthCann, ask how many of them have ever seen a catcher confront someone 30 ft before home plate when the guy is rounding the bases. Anyone who thinks this act is justifiable by any means is ignorant or just simply a brave homer. I've never seen that in my life on any level and baseball is my favorite sport. Players have feuds. It's part of game. No reason for Freeman or McCann to do any of that unless Gomez charges mound. It was very brave-like of recent. MCCann has always seemed like an arrogant spoiled brat. This isn't his first rodeo confronting players after they'd pimped their yard work. Get over it its baseball and throw 4 at his head next AB. That's how you deal with players like Gomez.

vCash
    What is the history between these 2? Gomez took a big hack on the previous pitch and stared Maholm down. Then connected and started the chaos.