Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: So, was McCann right for stepping up to Gomez after he pimped the HR tonight?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RougeDawg View Post
    Since all these so called "baseball people" are siding with BicthCann, ask how many of them have ever seen a catcher confront someone 30 ft before home plate when the guy is rounding the bases. Anyone who thinks this act is justifiable by any means is ignorant or just simply a brave homer. I've never seen that in my life on any level and baseball is my favorite sport. Players have feuds. It's part of game. No reason for Freeman or McCann to do any of that unless Gomez charges mound. It was very brave-like of recent. MCCann has always seemed like an arrogant spoiled brat. This isn't his first rodeo confronting players after they'd pimped their yard work. Get over it its baseball and throw 4 at his head next AB. That's how you deal with players like Gomez.
    Ok, you don't like the Braves, I get it.

Anyone who has an issue with anything Freeman did is insane. I can see thinking McCann shouldn't have come up the baseline, but if anything it was just an unprecedented response to an unprecedented act by Gomez.

In response to thinking the solution is to throw at Gomez, his perception that Maholm had thrown at him previously is what started the whole thing to begin with; obviously that is not the way to deal with him.

Senior Member The Croom Diaries's Avatar
    vCash
    McCann should not have stood in the base path, but his confrontation was definitely justifiable. Just hitting the home run should have settled the score but he went a step further and admired it - that warranted getting hit in the back his next time up. But he took it a step further and was yelling at Maholm the entire way around the bases. His 3rd base coach didn't even offer him any congratulations because he was so ashamed. McCann had to stand up for his pitcher right then to put an end to it and brawl. His mistakes were not waiting until he crossed home plate and not punching him in the face. Although considering the playoffs are next week it's a good thing he didn't.

vCash
    I like it... Baseball could be the new hockey... Just need a penalty box.

vCash
    all i'm going to say is that this is the 3rd time in roughly a month the braves have gotten into this shit with another player. j-upton and gattis both took their time on HR trots and when harper and fernandez gave it back to this later in the game, they got all butthurt and acted holier than thou about the integrity of the game. seems kinda like the same thing here, they've been provoking gomez for awhile and he got his revenge, talked a little shit, and they again acted like they are the ambassadors of baseball integrity. give me a break, when this shit keeps happening involving the same team, it's probably that team provoking it and maybe they need to take a look at themselves and how they handle the game. if you are going to represent the integrity of the game like the braves seem to want to do, you better make damn sure that 1-25, every single player on your team is on the same page, running out every groundball, diving for balls, playing hard, putting their head down and trotting off HRs in ~20 seconds, because as soon as you take offense for another guy's HR trot after j-upton had one of the longest HR trots of the year a few innings earlier, you come across as a huge douchebag hypocrite.

the braves have essentially had the division locked up for 2 months, they should be focused on october success, not getting their panties in a wad over petty shit (especially when they are giving it out).

i grew up on the braves in the early and mid 90s, and i know this will be incredibly unpopular to braves fans, but i pretty much moved on when they made chipper jones their franchise centerpiece. dude rubbed me as a huge scumbag redneck, and his string of affairs and illegitimate kid(s) born while he was still married only supports it imo. and this current squad of braves just come across as a bunch of whiny babies that want to be able to talk shit and show off, but when someone gives it back to them, they can't handle it.
    Last edited by dawgs; 09-26-2013 at 02:09 PM.

vCash

Let MLB's punishment that was handed down tell you who was wrong.

Gomez and Reed Johnson were both suspended 1 game. Only two guys that should have been suspended because they are the ones that broke the spirit of the game.

As a Braves fan, if any of our players acted like Gomez did yesterday, I would want them benched by Gonzalez immediately after they got done serving their suspension. And I would bet a lot of money that Roenicke will do that. Forget getting hit 3 MONTHS AGO by Maholm, forget the fact that Gomez hit a long home run that was impressive. The only thing that matters is how you handle yourself in respect to the game of baseball. You respect the players that play and you respect the game. Anytime someone disrespects either of those two, the players police it, and MLB was obviously ok with how the Braves policed it outside of Reed Johnson, who is an idiot.

Gomez clearly disrespected Maholm after the home run. From the Braves broadcast you can clearly see Maholm doesn't say anything to Gomez, but Gomez just goes off and starts jawing. Freeman does the right thing and stands up for his pitcher. Then Gomez rounds 3rd where you usually high five the 3rd base coach. Gomez didn't even do that because he was too busy jawing at Maholm and pointing at his leg, FROM A HBP 3 MONTHS AGO, and acting like a brat. So McCann felt it went to far and had to step in, and he's the guy that should have. He's the veteran, he's the guy with the protective gear on, and he's the one ultimately that is the face of the Braves, who since I've been alive (I'm 25), have played the game the right way without any flash or arrogance. Just go out and do your job.

Anyone that thinks Gomez was in the right doesn't know baseball. The guy got hit by an 85 MPH pitch in the leg 3 MONTHS AGO and has only been hit like twice in his career by Maholm. Get the hell over it and play the game. Enjoy your home run and trot around the bases. You got the revenge, but acted like a complete jackass and embarrassed yourself in the process. I'm glad Freeman and McCann acted the way they did because that bullshit that Gomez did is what ruins games. All of that posturing is ridiculous and it has no place in baseball.

I bet a lot of you would feel different if that guy from Samford did to Stratton what Gomez did to Maholm when he hit that monster shot off of him in the Regionals last year.