Thread: Weekend Cooking & Drinking Thread: The Real Maroon Edition

vCash

Weekend Cooking & Drinking Thread: The Real Maroon Edition

I have no plans except making sure Wife doesn?t move. Tried to go into labor on Monday and we got out of the hospital Thursday on bedrest. Im sure I?ll cook something.

vCash
    Good luck with the baby, and hope the best for the wife. We are planning to grill a family pack of wings. Some will be cooked with BBQ sauce. The remaining will be tossed in hot wing sauce after crisping on the grill. The plan is to have it ready just in time for the kick off.

vCash
    Beast - that?s important stuff. Hope it all goes well and Mom and Lil Beast have a good rest of the term.

I spent the afternoon with my UGA guys who are in town for the Cocktail Party. Chased a white ball, downed some Natty Light, smoked a nice cigar, dipped a little Skoal (which only happens on the golf course now a days), and wrapped it up with some good local Tex-mex. A great Texas style quesadillas suprema and a little Jose.

vCash
    Outdoor Dawgs – Home never felt so good. I am now in my fourth full week at home, and things are getting very close to the new normal. I am going to spam this Weekend C&D thread, as it has been awhile since I had anything worthwhile to contribute. So, what I have been doing the last few weeks?

Eating lots of pork. As much as I can handle, every meal. Chops, sausages, pulled shoulders.

Also working on some Brunswick stew with the trimmings this morning.

Catch up on the whiskey drinking. My taste buds have not fully acclimated yet, but never worry as I am working on this every night.

For those that study change management, I needed to get a quick win so the missus would continue to support my “reintegration" activities. So I spent a week planing trees in the back yard.

I worked hard in the mornings, so I could get the yak in the river during the afternoon for a few hours prior to school pickup.

Managed to find a few crappie the first day.

And of course I had to eat them right away, I mean, it has been over 10 months since I have had any freshly caught white perch to eat.

That went so well, I followed it up the next day.

I also started experimenting with preparations and fish butchery. I ate a fair amount of curry in Iraq, and I like it. This is a catfish coconut curry that was damn fine.

MORE TO FOLLOW
    Last edited by SapperDawg; 10-28-2017 at 10:44 AM.

vCash
    ----2/2----

I saved the collars from the crappie and fatty belly from the catfish for later experimentation.

Managed to get a few bags for the freezer.

The leftover catfish curry with a venison backstrap steak….oh my yes. One of the things I missed most was cooking and eating clean. Did I mention I am really glad to be back?

Just so happens that my favorite beer of the year also hit the shelf this week, so I stocked up.

So what exactly does a Soldier do when reintegrating? Grow a beard and hit the woods for some scouting….i mean…exercise.

Once again, I have to thank each of your for your kind comments, messages, and box of swag during this entire ordeal. It really means a lot. Look forward to the Dawgs taking care of business today….my last boss in Iraq is an A&M guy.
    SD
    Last edited by SapperDawg; 10-28-2017 at 10:41 AM.

vCash
    Sapper, those might be the best post in C&D thread history

vCash
    Sapper - good to have you back stateside! It?s important to keep your bride happy so they put up with the times when us guys do guy things. When I left a very stressful job a couple of years ago, I walked away with 4 months vacation pay. My wife told me if I would handle meals and complete 1 unfinished project around the house I could spend my first month golfing, drinking, and fishing as much as I wanted and not worry about work and have a ?Summer of George?. Women like that are saints, and hard find. Glad you have one too.

vCash
    Awesome Sapper! I?m digging the Marty shirt as well.

Not much here, but did just have some great mahi tacos at Hook. I?ll be back for more of those.
    Last edited by SpeckleDawg; 10-28-2017 at 01:15 PM.

vCash
    Did a bolegnese sauce a baked some pasta in it topeed with mozz, provolone, and parm. Made 2 pans this morning at work for my staff and took 1 home to bake tonight. I’m also grilling a back wrapped pork loin.

vCash
    Good luck in life to you Sapper, glad you are back and blending back into civilization.