Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SEC Basketball

Banned
    vCash

SEC Basketball

I can't remember a season were every team except one (USCe) thinks they are going to be better or atleast as good as they were the previous season. We are going to be better but so is everyone else so I am not sure we move up much in the standings. Missouri is going to be much much better. LSU is very happy with their hire so is Vandy. Bama always seems to beat us. Auburn has 19 players on their roster including walk-ons and a very tough place to play when the fans are excited for a good team. aTm fans all think they have the second best team in the league so does Arkansas so does Florida. Ole Miss thinks they have their best team in 7-8 years. Tennessee overachieved big time last year and they return basically their entire roster with new additions. Basically we have to take a jump like Missouri is about to if we wan't to be flirting with postseason play. I don't mean to throw rain on a parade here but temper your expectations a little cause the SEC is going to be cutthroat 1-14 like we have never seen before. With all that said I am still wooly on Howland especially after he plucked Reggie Perry from Arkansas and is now it looks to be in the final two for 4* Hamilton outta North Carolina. If we don't see a big jump in wins this year just remember we keep getting 4-5* players with Howland and it is only a matter of time before that translates to NCAA tourney level basketball. Hopefully that is this year. We will see very soon.

vCash
    Everywhere Howland has been year 3 was always the big year. I was hoping that would be true for us, although we will be much improved it’s hard to see a big year in the making. However, I do agree it will happpen soon as long as we continue to recruit at this level.

vCash
    Top half of sec and postseason... I think this is a fair expectation

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Top half of sec and postseason... I think this is a fair expectation
    I think we'll be right around 10-12th in the league. We still suck down low. We are bad comparative to the rest of the SEC at the 4 and 5 positions. We have great skilled guards but they are going to have to play Villanova style basketball for it to work and we don't have Villanova style brains to run their system. We dumb. We always been dumb. Never underrate basketball I.Q. and just overall being a smart person. I really wish we'd start recruiting guys that score 25's on the ACT as well as being able to score 25 on the court. This is why we don't see Howland's coaching translating onto the court yet. Auburn beat GTech by double digits at GTech and without Austin Wiley. Tennessee beat Davidson by double digits. Missouri played Kansas close. We lost to a shitty Nebraska team that finished second to last in the B1G in the Hump. Our OOC is so weak we basically can't lose any of the games. I feel the disappointment coming on. I hope I am wrong but I think it's gonna be a longer struggle than we are comfortable with right now. Recruit smarter players or fill the walk-ons with smart dudes that can teach our players basic basketball shit and schedule much tougher games.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg61 View Post
    I think we'll be right around 10-12th in the league. We still suck down low. We are bad comparative to the rest of the SEC at the 4 and 5 positions. We have great skilled guards but they are going to have to play Villanova style basketball for it to work and we don't have Villanova style brains to run their system. We dumb. We always been dumb. Never underrate basketball I.Q. and just overall being a smart person. I really wish we'd start recruiting guys that score 25's on the ACT as well as being able to score 25 on the court. This is why we don't see Howland's coaching translating onto the court yet. Auburn beat GTech by double digits at GTech and without Austin Wiley. Tennessee beat Davidson by double digits. Missouri played Kansas close. We lost to a shitty Nebraska team that finished second to last in the B1G in the Hump. Our OOC is so weak we basically can't lose any of the games. I feel the disappointment coming on. I hope I am wrong but I think it's gonna be a longer struggle than we are comfortable with right now. Recruit smarter players or fill the walk-ons with smart dudes that can teach our players basic basketball shit and schedule much tougher games.
    That is one solid pre-melt.

I think we will be much better than our first exhibition game from here out

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    That is one solid pre-melt.
    I called Spoon's surgery 3 months before Howland did. Remember that. I consistently clown this board on basketball. This year won't be any different. We'll finish around 10-12th in the league. Bookmark my post.

vCash
    You can’t take anything away from the game on Sunday. Have they even had time to work on set plays with the new guys? How long been practicing about 10 days? Plenty of time to clean up a few things before really get going.

vCash
    I called Spoon's surgery 3 months before Howland did. Remember that. I consistently clown this board on basketball. This year won't be any different. We'll finish around 10-12th in the league. Bookmark my post.
    Spoon’s surgery was one of those things that could wait if he could stand it. If he had had the surgery when it happened he would have missed the season. It will be interesting to see how it does. My understanding is surgery doesn’t always help that injury all that much.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LoneStarDawg View Post
    You can’t take anything away from the game on Sunday. Have they even had time to work on set plays with the new guys? How long been practicing about 10 days? Plenty of time to clean up a few things before really get going.
    I think Nebraska started practice when we did. I’m gonna wait till we play real games before melting or getting excited. There are too many unknowns being counted on to make any kind of judgments yet.

Banned
    vCash
    I'm so glad I don't care about basketball.

Paysite Policeman Dawg-gone-dawgs's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hasu Dackds View Post
    I'm so glad I don't care about basketball.
    Thanks for not caring enough to post this on an SEC Basketball thread.

Banned
    vCash
    Not a matter of caring in this case. I see folks melting down and it makes me glad I don't have to be affected too much by it. I'll certainly pay attention if we ever get good.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hasu Dackds View Post
    Not a matter of caring in this case. I see folks melting down and it makes me glad I don't have to be affected too much by it. I'll certainly pay attention if we ever get good.
    Nobody is melting and you aren't a huge MSU basketball fan cause you're half rebel half dawg and your rebel side wins out more often during basketball season. Hilarious that you keep expecting everyone to suffer from memory loss though Goat.

vCash
    Textbook "Fair Weather Fan".

Thanks, your door prize is to the left.

vCash
    Totally agree, do not over-analyze the result of a glorified scrimmage. We were 1 for 13 for 3 pt'ers and Ado was out. Howland scheduled the Nebraska game at the last minute and stated we had very limited set plays developed yet as Nebraska was way ahead of us in terms of schematics currently. Hopefully it will motivate our players a bit with a 'good loss' that doesn't count.

Our weakness area is the #4 position (Thanks Mario!) but with the abundance of skilled players (guards), I expect upper half finish with a few upsets on the way.

vCash
    I agree with your point about IQ, but Nebraska is not a "shitty" team. They played fundamentally sound basketball and basically prove your point. You can't look solely at their record and assert that...they play in one of The toughest basketball conferences in the country.

That game was the best thing that could have happened to us. The film from that game will provide some good coaching opportunities.

vCash
    Nobody is melting and you aren't a huge MSU basketball fan cause you're half rebel half dawg and your rebel side wins out more often during basketball season. Hilarious that you keep expecting everyone to suffer from memory loss though Goat.
    Ouch.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg-gone-dawgs View Post
    Thanks for not caring enough to post this on an SEC Basketball thread.
    Yeah, no shit.

Paysite Policeman Dawg-gone-dawgs's Avatar
    vCash

vCash
    Nebraska won the first half on awesome 3 point shooting while we were not hitting shit. We missed 9 free throws. But in the second half we blasted them. Ado will be the difference maker--if He is all Howland says we will be really good, if not then about where 61 says. I want to see a few more games before I jump off a cliff. Peters and Q will play alot better going forward. Carter and X will also be very good. we must be better on our perimeter defense --stop gambling and just keep a hand in their face.