Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Pawl Wants Dan....in a coaching way @ UT

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IMissJack View Post
    And this is why ESPN had to layoff about 100 other reporters, and is iffy at best.
    ESPN did what a lot of businesses do in a down cycle, lay off higher priced employees and get young cheap labor in their place. ESPN kept a few "faces" of the network like SVP and now Gruden. Both of those guys have advertising power that goes along with them and it helps offset their cost and reinforces the ESPN brand. In this day and age, you better do something other than stand in front of a stadium and say things that was on the internet yesterday. ESPN was paying a crap ton of money for old guys to do that and now they are paying probably less than half of those salaries and people still tune in.

ESPN got overinflated salaries for employees for what they were doing which is fine if you are pretty much the only game in town and are making money hand over fist. ESPN now has actual competition so they are paying attention to the costs because the bottom line isn't as healthy.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    The problem with them as far as Memphis is the location oddly enough. Memphis is a lot closer to MSU, Ole Miss, Vanderbilt, roughly the same as far as Alabama, Arkansas, and LSU in terms of distance and travel time compared to Knoxville and as a result almost everyone in the SEC recruits Memphis some. Everything gets thinned out pretty quickly. Tennessee is a lot closer to Atlanta and probably would be more effective trying there. At the very least they could put a dent into Georgia's recruiting probably while still trying to get what they could out of Memphis and Nashville.
    I went back and looked at their 2000 roster (oldest I could find), which was fresh off their natty. Pretty much a mix of TN/FL/GA/SC/NC/VA/AL with some MS and CA thrown in. I guess that's just their cross to bear. Fire up the private jets.

At least they can travel around in a smaller area. Nebraska can't. I would think they'd have to pick about 2-3 places and concentrate everything there. With no ties to the Pac-12, Big-12 or SEC, I'd think CA/TX/GA-FL would be hard to break into, respectively. They are likely just screwed. Better feed some more corn to those Great Plains white boys, and hope you can find a few skill players somewhere.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hasu Dackds View Post
    I went back and looked at their 2000 roster (oldest I could find), which was fresh off their natty. Pretty much a mix of TN/FL/GA/SC/NC/VA/AL with some MS and CA thrown in. I guess that's just their cross to bear. Fire up the private jets.

At least they can travel around in a smaller area. Nebraska can't. I would think they'd have to pick about 2-3 places and concentrate everything there. With no ties to the Pac-12, Big-12 or SEC, I'd think CA/TX/GA-FL would be hard to break into, respectively. They are likely just screwed. Better feed some more corn to those Great Plains white boys, and hope you can find a few skill players somewhere.
    Fat Phil was cheating his ass off. It is obvious. Also UCF, USF, FAU, FIU, Vandy, Memphis, Clemson, MSU and like twenty other schools all around Tennessee had shitty football back then so Tennessee could get whoever they wanted using Peyton Manning's name.

vCash
    Money grows on trees in the SEC, except for trees in TN.

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-foo...oley-dave-hart

vCash
    UT can't attract talent without cheating big time and CDM isn't ok with cheating big time.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Political Hack View Post

Yep that athletic dept has been mismanaged for a long time.

vCash

I'd put the chances of Mullen going to Tennessee at 0 out of 100, perhaps even as high as 0 out of 10.

Frankly, how do they even afford to fire Butch?
    The Liberation will not be televised--- when it arrives like lightning in the skies!

Bennie Brown Know-It-All
    vCash
    Boy they sure do think they can get Mullen if they want him. Check out Trant. Tennessee fans are clueless.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarius View Post
    Tennessee is not a better program, but they do have a higher ceiling. They also have unrealistic expectations and shitty in state talent to match those expectations which makes getting fired in 4 or 5 years extremely likely for whoever takes the job.....which makes the job much less attractive to someone that is already making nearly 5 million dollars a year.
    your last 2 posts are dead. nuts. on.

+2, if i can.....
    "It is not courage to resist TUSK; It is courage to accept TUSK."

No.

Easy there buddy. Tusk is...well Tusk is Tusk. Tireddawg 12.20.17

vCash
    Jariius laid it out pretty well. It's a bad situation. Other than Peyton, they're hiring no one that matters.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BulldogBear View Post
    I'd put the chances of Mullen going to Tennessee at 0 out of 100, perhaps even as high as 0 out of 10.

Frankly, how do they even afford to fire Butch?
    It’s a 3 step process:
    1). “Coach Jones, you’re fired.”
    2). “Here’s $6 mil.”
    3). “Presser is at 3.”

No.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TUSK View Post
    It’s a 3 step process:
    1). “Coach Jones, you’re fired.”
    2). “Here’s $6 mil.”
    3). “Presser is at 3.”
    I have always wondered how hurt these coaches are when they get fired but walk out of the meeting with millions. Kinda takes the sting out of the ole pink slip.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg61 View Post
    Fat Phil was cheating his ass off. It is obvious. Also UCF, USF, FAU, FIU, Vandy, Memphis, Clemson, MSU and like twenty other schools all around Tennessee had shitty football back then so Tennessee could get whoever they wanted using Peyton Manning's name.
    Yep, & he (Phat Phil) turned in Bammer for cheating (more)...

No.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    I have always wondered how hurt these coaches are when they get fired but walk out of the meeting with millions. Kinda takes the sting out of the ole pink slip.
    I quit a job a couple of years ago and walked out with 4 months of back vacation pay. That felt pretty ******* special. A few mill and I could live with being left at the airport like Kiffen.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tbonewannabe View Post
    ESPN did what a lot of businesses do in a down cycle, lay off higher priced employees and get young cheap labor in their place. ESPN kept a few "faces" of the network like SVP and now Gruden. Both of those guys have advertising power that goes along with them and it helps offset their cost and reinforces the ESPN brand. In this day and age, you better do something other than stand in front of a stadium and say things that was on the internet yesterday. ESPN was paying a crap ton of money for old guys to do that and now they are paying probably less than half of those salaries and people still tune in.

ESPN got overinflated salaries for employees for what they were doing which is fine if you are pretty much the only game in town and are making money hand over fist. ESPN now has actual competition so they are paying attention to the costs because the bottom line isn't as healthy.
    Still no way I think Gruden is worth $7M as an analyst, and I like him.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    I quit a job a couple of years ago and walked out with 4 months of back vacation pay. That felt pretty ******* special. A few mill and I could live with being left at the airport like Kiffen.
    Me to Brother! Most of us would be sweating bullets if we walked into our bosses office knowing we were losing our job. Would be nice knowing I could walk out and say ?so will the receptionist have my $$$$$$ million dollar check ready on the way out??
    Different world for sure.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg61 View Post
    Yep, & he (Phat Phil) turned in Bammer for cheating (more)...

No.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IMissJack View Post
    Still no way I think Gruden is worth $7M as an analyst, and I like him.
    No one is worth that as an analyst. But they're probaby paying him that so he won't go back to the NFL as a head coach.

Or Ole Miss.********************

vCash
    Jariius laid it out pretty well. It's a bad situation. Other than Peyton, they're hiring no one that matters.
    Honestly, I wouldn't be shocked if they end up with Cutcliffe. That would actually be a decent hire for them.

Speaking of Peyton and the Mannings- are they a curse?

Ole Miss after Archie- Integration happens and they drop down from a strong program to average.

Ole Miss after Cooper- Probation. (Shocking) Billy Brewer fired.

Tennessee after Peyton- One bad hire after the other and are an 8-9 win program at best and have lost a lot of profile since the 1990's.

Ole Miss after Eli- The Network takes over and leaves them into a flaming dumpster fire that entertains weekly. "Hey Hugh!"

vCash
    HiJack, since we are talkin' 'bout leavin' jobs....

I left UBS at lunch one day... as I departed, I told the AA "I won't be back".

She asked, "For the day?"

I replied, "Ever."

I left my degree on the wall (yes, I actually have one) and a sweet ass 12" tall bronze elephant on my desk, went across the street, bought a book titled "How to build a House", and went Henry David T. for a couple years...

I miss that bronze elephant.

No.