Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3rd and ______?

vCash

3rd and ______?

Everyone has heard 3rd and Chavis and 3rd and grantham, but the stats are not showing that... opp 3rd down conversion rate: aTm is 2nd in the sec and we are 5th. It is easy to see how aTm is doing this; they are #1 in the sec in sacks. We are #1 in the sec in sacks allowed. We are 2nd in 3rd down conversion rate. 3rd downs while we are on offense will be very interesting... can we neutralize their pass rush?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Everyone has heard 3rd and Chavis and 3rd and grantham, but the stats are not showing that... opp 3rd down conversion rate: aTm is 2nd in the sec and we are 5th. It is easy to see how aTm is doing this; they are #1 in the sec in sacks. We are #1 in the sec in sacks allowed. We are 2nd in 3rd down conversion rate. 3rd downs while we are on offense will be very interesting... can we neutralize their pass rush?
    The sacks vs sacks allowed will be very interesting. Can Fitz read blitz/pressure and either check out quickly or run away from it and get something downfield or use his legs? I wish he would run a little less and get more opportunities downfield. Athletic defenses can cut him off and prevent him from using the open field and angles to his advantage. If we can mix that portion up and be able to open things up down field, I like our chances.

We will run just fine. But we aren't going to win games against good teams just because of the run. We win them because we convert 3rd downs, get decent yardage on 1st down, and flip field position on teams. Do those things and we are hard to beat.

vCash
    I see what you're saying, but there were definitely some plays in the game that i was like "that's what the UGA and UL people were saying when they mentioned third and grantham."

There were a few 3rd and longs and we just rushed four and played what looked like 2 deep man and the QB either ran for the first down or completed a pass for a chain moving gain. I didn't think we were overly aggressive on 3rd downs, at least in the first half.

But also, i'm just nitpicking, because when you win 45-7, there really isn't much to be upset about. Hailstate.

vCash
    I think that 3rd and Grantham is one of those things that results from being aggressive on 3rd downs. You either get the sack/TFL or it gets busted wide open. Joe Lee Dunn's D's used have the same thing happen.

vCash
    It goes without saying that when you run a very aggressive scheme, you're going to give up some big plays against good teams. The alternative is getting chipped away at 5-10 yards at a time all the way down the field like we've seen for most of the last 9 years. Only a handful of teams have the talent and depth to have the best of both worlds. We're not there yet, so I'll take 3rd and Grantham, risking big plays in order to give us the best chance to come up with plays of our own, over bend don't break any day (or Sirmon's patented bend AND break).

vCash
    Sure beats 1st and Sirmon.

vCash
    Two of the offensive lines that they have played this far in SEC play are rated 12 (Florida) and 14 (Arkansas) in sacks allowed. And then South Carolina is rated 8th. So are those numbers because of A&M being good or are those lines not so good?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Two of the offensive lines that they have played this far in SEC play are rated 12 (Florida) and 14 (Arkansas) in sacks allowed. And then South Carolina is rated 8th. So are those numbers because of A&M being good or are those lines not so good?
    This is what I'm wondering. I mean, they've played Arkansas, South Carolina, Bama and Florida. 1 good team, are they the KY of the West?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chainedup_Dawg View Post
    This is what I'm wondering. I mean, they've played Arkansas, South Carolina, Bama and Florida. 1 good team, are they the KY of the West?
    They got 3 vs Bama, which is the number we have given up all year

vCash
    3rd & Sweat

vCash
    Late in the game, I think Sweat had a 3 & out series where he made all 3 tackles. Think one was a sack.

vCash
    We are #1 in the sec in sacks allowed. We are 2nd in 3rd down conversion rate.
    While I don't doubt you, I find this really surprising and the two seem contradictory. How many sacks have we allowed? Where are the stats you're quoting?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PassInterference View Post
    Late in the game, I think Sweat had a 3 & out series where he made all 3 tackles. Think one was a sack.
    We wore Kentucky's OL out. By the 4th quarter they didn't want anymore.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FanninDawg View Post
    While I don't doubt you, I find this really surprising and the two seem contradictory. How many sacks have we allowed? Where are the stats you're quoting?
    3 allowed

http://www.cfbstats.com/2017/leader/...20/sort01.html

vCash
    ok, i read that backwards. we are the lowest...

Banned
    vCash
    I wanna see our WR Couch break out. I know he only made that one 12 yd , 3rd down catch but if you go back and watch it, it was very impressive. some quick hits to players like that and our good tight ends Saturday may make the difference on A&M's blitzes. just a thought.

vCash
    We don't let Fitz throw from the pocket as much as most teams attempt. That's why our sack totals are lower. When he's thrown from the pocket, our receivers have struggled to get open and he holds the ball until pressure eventually gets to him and he throws off his back foot or gets hit. He's never going to be a great pocket passer.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    We don't let Fitz throw from the pocket as much as most teams attempt. That's why our sack totals are lower. When he's thrown from the pocket, our receivers have struggled to get open and he holds the ball until pressure eventually gets to him and he throws off his back foot or gets hit. He's never going to be a great pocket passer.
    Never is a long time. Give Fitz one all-sec wr and I'll bet He looks alot better. As one announcer pointed out after Fitz over-threw 82, It is hard to pass after you have ran 30 yards and got the shit knocked out of you.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    We are tied for 4th in the sec in passing attempts per game

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TrapGame View Post
    Sure beats 1st and Sirmon.

Old No Punt Sirmon.