Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Still Not Ranked & LSU Is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    Polls promote certain programs. That?s all polls really are. They?re in place to promote.
    But that's the problem.

The bias of the polls creates an artificial but effective way of helping those same teams that benefit from the system by creating sort of a monopoly on promotion. And, generally, which ever programs are promoted the most, are the same programs that recruit the best. They are tied hand in hand. The more you are promoted, the easier it is to get player in all areas of the country to be interested in your school

The entire system is a ridiculous fraud

For this reason, it wouldn't bother me if the playoff committee started putting out polls earlier in the season

vCash
    Wonder if there was some computer algorithm that could calculate every game played, statistical data for offense/defense, chart for standard deviations, etc and base polls on that. Completely take away the biased human component

vCash
    Should we be ranked? Yes- somewhere in the 20's

You wanna be ranked? Dont get the **** beat out of you every time you get on the national stage. It's our own fault
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post

You wanna be ranked? Dont get the **** beat out of you every time you get on the national stage. It's our own fault
    Good post. Some are always demanding respect even tho what you just said always happens.

Hell I'm thinking if we were ranked this week ... next weekend we'd lose by 3 TDs or more to TAM. Maybe now we can at least keep it close or maybe even win.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post

You and DD must have missed the prime time ESPN butt kicking we put on LSU.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    You and DD must have missed the prime time ESPN butt kicking we put on LSU.
    You trolling me again thru C34's post LOL.

No one expected us to win the LSU game ... so we weren't really "on" the national stage. Whenever we get ranked and people start taking us seriously, we crap the bed. They doing us a favor not ranking us.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dawgday166 View Post
    You trolling me again thru C34's post LOL.

No one expected us to win the LSU game ... so we weren't really "on" the national stage. Whenever we get ranked and people start taking us seriously, we crap the bed. They doing us a favor not ranking us.
    I do not give a crap about rankings. We are one of the 25 best college football teams

vCash
    I do not give a crap about rankings. We are one of the 25 best college football teams
    I don't give a crap about polls either till end of season. And I'm not arguing we are a top 25 team ... I agree. But if we get ranked now we'll go lose the next game or 2.

Hell, if we won every game up till Bama and then gave Bama somewhat of a tussle for 3 qtrs or so, everyone would be "Woo Hooing" including me. Then we'd probably lose the next 2 to Arky and OM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Activated Alpha View Post
    Wonder if there was some computer algorithm that could calculate every game played, statistical data for offense/defense, chart for standard deviations, etc and base polls on that. Completely take away the biased human component
    There are lots of those, such as the FPI and Sagarin.

It would be good to use some kind of amalgamation of those instead of a poll/committee, but I doubt the NCAA would implement it well. One of the top reasons the BCS was nonsense was because it required the "computer polls" to not consider margin of victory in their equations at all. That and the fact that 5 of the 6 polls had private proprietary formulas that could not be checked by the general public. The one that had a public formula made a mistake one time and the final BCS standings for 2010 had to be rereleased (luckily it didn't affect who was in the top 2).

vCash
    I do give a crap about rankings because they affect the general perception of our program. We barely got any mention on Sportscenter, College Football Final, etc., today because it was a matchup of 2 unranked teams. Probably will be the same next weekend. That trickles down into recruiting, who gets on TV when, and what people nationwide think of the team and university.

All I ask is for these chosen, privileged few who get to cast ballots care enough to have a well thought-out, logically consistent ballot. I've interacted with a few pollsters and they often act like it's a huge inconvenience to keep up with the whole country on top of their regular jobs, and they seem totally oblivious to the fact that there are thousands of people who would kill to be an AP poll voter and would do a much better job at it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Quaoarsking View Post

It would be good to use some kind of amalgamation of those instead of a poll/committee, but I doubt the NCAA would implement it well. One of the top reasons the BCS was nonsense was because it required the "computer polls" to not consider margin of victory in their equations at all. That and the fact that 5 of the 6 polls had private proprietary formulas that could not be checked by the general public. The one that had a public formula made a mistake one time and the final BCS standings for 2010 had to be rereleased (luckily it didn't affect who was in the top 2).
    FPI and sagarin do not have all teams equal to start with though.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Quaoarsking View Post

Sagarin SEC Rankings

1 Bammer
    5 UGA
    10 AU

17MSU
    27LSU
    29A&M

37USCe
    42Florida
    66Mississippi

68Arkie
    70Tennessee
    72Kentucky
    80Vandy
    95Mizzou
    "It is not courage to resist TUSK; It is courage to accept TUSK."

No.

Easy there buddy. Tusk is...well Tusk is Tusk. Tireddawg 12.20.17

vCash
    Ok, prior to our win over LSU , they were 11th in the coaches poll and 12th in the AP poll. After their loss to us they slid big time in the polls, and then after the Troy lost they were out of the top 25. Then they managed to beat FL in the swamp and then beat a highly ranked Auburn team at home, and then back in the top 25. Then they go on the road and blow out Ole Miss. We get ranked and move up and then we get blown out by GA and then Auburn on the road. Since then we have played BYU and KY. Most all thought KY was over rated so our blowout of them doesn't mean a lot to the media right now. Being ranked preseason helps you move up if you start winning again. Another thing, LSU is known as a football school with the media. That history goes back to the Billy Cannon days. They have had a few lean years ( worst probably the 1998 and 1999 teams when Dinardo was the HC) but not many after that period till present. If we beat A&M on the road then we should be ranked. Now if we get blown out by Bama then here we go again. Whether you or I think it is right or fair that is just pretty much the reality in college football it seems.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    It doesn?t help that the Mississippi media is ALWAYS light on MSU predictions

Sure, Bounds, Wimberly, and Weiner try to look cool to their out of state buddies by never buying into MSU, but, because they are always light, they miss just as much as biased fans do.

The point is, their attempt to be unbiased hasn?t actually helped their credibility any at all.

Bounds picked MSU for 6-7 wins. Well, that?s probably light like it is most every year.

Same goes for the others. It sucks how little pride these guys have in their school and state
    Well wimberly is a dumb ass so there is that...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Activated Alpha View Post
    Here's a link to a lot of individual computer ratings and a composite rating.

https://www.masseyratings.com/cf/compare.htm

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by yjnkdawg View Post
    Ok, prior to our win over LSU , they were 11th in the coaches poll and 12th in the AP poll. After their loss to us they slid big time in the polls, and then after the Troy lost they were out of the top 25. Then they managed to beat FL in the swamp and then beat a highly ranked Auburn team at home, and then back in the top 25. Then they go on the road and blow out Ole Miss. We get ranked and move up and then we get blown out by GA and then Auburn on the road. Since then we have played BYU and KY. Most all thought KY was over rated so our blowout of them doesn't mean a lot to the media right now. Being ranked preseason helps you move up if you start winning again. Another thing, LSU is known as a football school with the media. That history goes back to the Billy Cannon days. They have had a few lean years ( worst probably the 1998 and 1999 teams when Dinardo was the HC) but not many after that period till present. If we beat A&M on the road then we should be ranked. Now if we get blown out by Bama then here we go again. Whether you or I think it is right or fair that is just pretty much the reality in college football it seems.
    Uh yeah. We knew this. The system is absurd and outdated. We beat LSU by 30 point. 30...17ing... points.

How they are ranked ahead of us with the same amount of losses, it absurd

Banned
    vCash
    I'd rather beat the shit outta Kentucky and not be ranked than barely beat Kentucky and be ranked. We beat the shit outta Kentucky. Every win we've had this year we have destroyed the other team. I think this is a noticeable step up for us. No more struggling to beat Bowling Green by a point games. Still pissed at the abortions we displayed vs Auburn and UGA but I am very pleased with our 5 beat downs.

vCash
    FPI and sagarin do not have all teams equal to start with though.
    In the end they do though. They start with a "bias" for the first few weeks but slowly take it out so that late in the season only games from the season affect the ratings.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Homedawg View Post
    Well wimberly is a dumb ass so there is that...
    This! Can?t stand Wimberly. He would have you believe he was some kind of football guru with the way he ?breaks down? film. Hes an idiot.

vCash
    I'd be willing to bet if yall smashed a few ranked teams, "ranking" would not be a concern.... just guessing, though....
    "It is not courage to resist TUSK; It is courage to accept TUSK."

No.

Easy there buddy. Tusk is...well Tusk is Tusk. Tireddawg 12.20.17