Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Still Not Ranked & LSU Is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Lambert View Post
    their is only one poll that matters and it comes out pretty soon.
    Jack's right. It'll straighten out to some degree once it matters. With the AP and coaches, yeah I could see us being probably the first 9-3 SEC school ever to only be ranked #22 or somwthing. The CFP poll has a bit of a better track record.
    The Liberation will not be televised--- when it arrives like lightning in the skies!

vCash
    If you really want to get ticked off then chew on this. How are we gonna feel when LSU and our Bulldogs both finish 9-3....and LSU gets a NY6 bowl and we don't? If we beat TAMU that's what is going to happen. Then watch Auburn get the Citrus over us. We'll end up playing some 7-5 B10 or ACC school in Nashville.

Cohen needs to be whispering in the SEC office's ear starting now.
    The Liberation will not be televised--- when it arrives like lightning in the skies!

vCash
    Interestingly, this team finished 10-3 in the SEC and didn't end up ranked in the final AP top 25:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_G..._football_team

To be fair, they didn't beat anyone who finished ranked, and their 5 SEC wins all went 2-6 or 1-7, and Georgia Tech was 3-9 team that year too, so it's not really comparable to our team this year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BulldogBear View Post
    If you really want to get ticked off then chew on this. How are we gonna feel when LSU and our Bulldogs both finish 9-3....and LSU gets a NY6 bowl and we don't? If we beat TAMU that's what is going to happen. Then watch Auburn get the Citrus over us. We'll end up playing some 7-5 B10 or ACC school in Nashville.

Cohen needs to be whispering in the SEC office's ear starting now.
    The NY6 are contractually bound to select whoever is highest the in final CFP rankings. If we're the next team up in the those, we automatically go to the Orange or whatever bowl, no matter what.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Quaoarsking View Post
    The NY6 are contractually bound to select whoever is highest the in final CFP rankings. If we're the next team up in the those, we automatically go to the Orange or whatever bowl, no matter what.
    If LSU & us end up with equal records, you'd have to believe the committee would give us the nod.

We really need Auburn to lose 4 games. With Bama & Georgia left, it's possible

Banned
    vCash
    nm

Banned
    vCash
    It's absurd, but I'm OK with it. Let's keep that chip on our shoulder. We play better that way. We've never really dealt with success too well.

After we finish 8-4 or 9-3 (and hopefully win our bowl game), the party line next year will be that we're decent but can't win the big game. I hope it is. We'll have the most talent we've had since 1999/2000 and we will still have that chip on our shoulder for those big games.

Even if we beat aTm, if we lose to Bama, they'll start hating yet again.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hasu Dackds View Post
    Let's keep that chip on our shoulder. We play better that way. We've never really dealt with success too well.
    For the 700,000,000,000TH time, you can't build a program with this attitude.

I totally understand why MSU fans have it, but it's got to go away if collectively this fan base, school, state, etc are going to take the next step.

Banned
    vCash
    Auburn is still doing it. They are a notch above us as a program. It really doesn't matter what you think. It's reality. It's the reality of playing with 18-22 year old kids.

Plus, you didn't read the rest of my post, that actually deals with HOW this happens, and HOW you can build on it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hasu Dackds View Post
    Auburn is still doing it. They are a notch above us as a program. It really doesn't matter what you think. It's reality. It's the reality of playing with 18-22 year old kids.

Plus, you didn't read the rest of my post, that actually deals with HOW this happens, and HOW you can build on it.

But just so you know, I'm a passionate fan of THE Mississippi State University & not Mittittippi Tate, &, when I faintly sniff that THE Mississippi State University fans are turning into Mittittippi Tate fans, I bring out the fire extinguisher

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    What an absolute abortion of common sense.

We received 19 votes while LSU & A&M are ranked.

Absolutely absurd & shows how dumb the entire ranking system is in college football.

How is LSU ranked & we aren't?

What has A&M done?
    LSU beat Auburn and Fla who were both top 20 teams, plus they beat Florida on the road. We got crushed by both Geo and Auburn, not even close. I can understand why we aren't ranked. We go to Kyle field and win, we will be ranked I assure you.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodaski View Post
    LSU beat Auburn and Fla who were both top 20 teams, plus they beat Florida on the road. We got crushed by both Geo and Auburn, not even close. I can understand why we aren't ranked. We go to Kyle field and win, we will be ranked I assure you.
    Wait, are you comparing at Florida to at auburn and at Georgia? Lol

vCash
    It doesn?t help that the Mississippi media is ALWAYS light on MSU predictions

Sure, Bounds, Wimberly, and Weiner try to look cool to their out of state buddies by never buying into MSU, but, because they are always light, they miss just as much as biased fans do.

The point is, their attempt to be unbiased hasn?t actually helped their credibility any at all.

Bounds picked MSU for 6-7 wins. Well, that?s probably light like it is most every year.

Same goes for the others. It sucks how little pride these guys have in their school and state
    Shoot- we have some of our own fans bashing our fans for asking how we can improve and telling everyone that we're never going to be more than an eight win program and that we're dumb if we can't enjoy this because it's never going to get any better. How can we expect some voter in Texas to take us seriously when we have some of our people with that attitude?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodaski View Post
    But Auburn & UGA on the road is infinintely harder than a Florida team that can't score on the road & Auburn at home. What am I missing here?

We beat LSU by 30 points Bro

vCash
    This is the type of MSU fan I can't stand.

Bo says this yet is light on MSU's win total EVERY.SINGLE. YEAR.

Just cut the bullshit & have some pride. The state of MS so sick & tired of this crap.

It's a complete diservice

Banned
    vCash

But just so you know, I'm a passionate fan of THE Mississippi State University & not Mittittippi Tate, &, when I faintly sniff that THE Mississippi State University fans are turning into Mittittippi Tate fans, I bring out the fire extinguisher
    I get it. I saw your post on the other board in response to 'tired' who was attempting to act like LSU would kill us now. I understand the frustration with that attitude.

I'm in the business of working in reality to try and build a national championship caliber team. I don't know why I really care, but I do. We all do or we wouldn't be here.

vCash
    Check out this noted Mittittippi Tate fan. Do you guys like this? Do you think this helps build the program?

Here is what I find hilarious about the "realistic" Mittittippi Tate fans, is that they aren't actually realistic because they undershoot the win total every year

Is it somehow more respectable & realistic to undershoot the win total than over shoot it? What's the difference?

Realistic Bo Bounds undershoots MSU's most every year. I love the show BTW. Just dislike this perspective.

Last edited by ShotgunDawg; 10-22-2017 at 05:26 PM.

vCash

Rankings will never be truly accurate... popularity and reputation will always lead

Absolutely absurd & shows how dumb the entire ranking system is in college football.
    College football team rankings with the press is all a popularity contest. As someone who at one time was a member of the sports press, I can tell you how the system works.

Votes are taken by the AP or UPI or USA Today either late Saturday or early Sunday. If a sports editor was like me and had to work Saturdays to put out a paper on Sunday, there really isn't any opportunity to watch any other games than those in your local area -- and only if those games were played before your work shift started. In the three years I was a sports editor I saw a total of ONE college game in person. As the one in charge I had to be at the paper putting it together while the reporters were at the actual games.

It was even worse if the games took place at night -- I would have to wait until 1 or 2 in the morning before the game stories came over the wire.

Rankings are based on reputation and fan base support. You could see it in how Parrish Alford didn't even vote for MSU this go around. The smaller, less reputation schools get notice only when they are making noise -- like when State was No. 1 -- and how fast they dropped when the team lost to Bama. I guarantee you most of the voting media was waiting for State to slip up and then they could downvote them.

If making a poll choice between a team you follow and one you know about you go with the one who has the most attention -- especially in high school polls when a paper in one location of the state knows nothing about teams in the other sections -- like the voting sports editor at the Sun Herald trying to logically compare Gulfport (a team he knows) vs South Panola (which he knows only in passing).

Poll rankings may be great for good feelings, but the only polls that matter in the end are wins and losses.

vCash
    Polls promote certain programs. That?s all polls really are. They?re in place to promote.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rejlector84sports View Post
    College football team rankings with the press is all a popularity contest. As someone who at one time was a member of the sports press, I can tell you how the system works.

Votes are taken by the AP or UPI or USA Today either late Saturday or early Sunday. If a sports editor was like me and had to work Saturdays to put out a paper on Sunday, there really isn't any opportunity to watch any other games than those in your local area -- and only if those games were played before your work shift started. In the three years I was a sports editor I saw a total of ONE college game in person. As the one in charge I had to be at the paper putting it together while the reporters were at the actual games.

It was even worse if the games took place at night -- I would have to wait until 1 or 2 in the morning before the game stories came over the wire.

Rankings are based on reputation and fan base support. You could see it in how Parrish Alford didn't even vote for MSU this go around. The smaller, less reputation schools get notice only when they are making noise -- like when State was No. 1 -- and how fast they dropped when the team lost to Bama. I guarantee you most of the voting media was waiting for State to slip up and then they could downvote them.

If making a poll choice between a team you follow and one you know about you go with the one who has the most attention -- especially in high school polls when a paper in one location of the state knows nothing about teams in the other sections -- like the voting sports editor at the Sun Herald trying to logically compare Gulfport (a team he knows) vs South Panola (which he knows only in passing).

Poll rankings may be great for good feelings, but the only polls that matter in the end are wins and losses.
    Great explanation. Thanks

What a dumb, stupid, outdated system though