Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: O.T. Question for those who've had an ATT guy sell you to switch to Direct T.V.

Banned
    vCash

O.T. Question for those who've had an ATT guy sell you to switch to Direct T.V.

ATT guy says the new dishes are better and have all but eliminated weather interruptions. Direct T.V. tech just left my home and says the Dish I've had on my roof since 2011 when I was with Direct T.V. way back then will remain, just replaced the connections and such. said that I will still experience weather interruptions. said a lot of ATT guys lie about the "enhanced" tech with the dishes to get you to switch to Direct T.V. from U-verse.

anybody else experienced this?

vCash
    Umm if it is pouring or a thunderstorm you will lose but if it's just a easy rain then usually you don't.

Banned
    vCash
    thanks for the info but I was referring to what could be the ATT dude lying to me. have the dishes been upgraded or not? do you know?

vCash
    He probably should have switched your dish to the slimline 3 or 5 unless you already have that model. If you already have either of those installed then no need to switch it out.

vCash
    I have direct tv and I have ATT only because I need Internet and it's my only option. ATT is absolute garbage. Direct Tv has been great but I almost cancelled when ATT bought them. Anyway, that direct tech seems mistaken. You should get a new dish with 4 of the little thingy magigies in the center. (Whatever they're called) That's the newest HD style dish and all new cables. I rarely lose reception in weather.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DownwardDawg View Post
    I have direct tv and I have ATT only because I need Internet and it's my only option. ATT is absolute garbage. Direct Tv has been great but I almost cancelled when ATT bought them. Anyway, that direct tech seems mistaken. You should get a new dish with 4 of the little thingy magigies in the center. (Whatever they're called) That's the newest HD style dish and all new cables. I rarely lose reception in weather.
    LNB
    "It is not courage to resist TUSK; It is courage to accept TUSK."

No.

Easy there buddy. Tusk is...well Tusk is Tusk. Tireddawg 12.20.17

vCash
    We just cancelled our Direct Tv for 'Direct TV Now', it's their over the internet version of Direct Tv. Much Cheaper and you can watch basically anywhere, phone, internet, roku or apple tv. We have a Roku and Apple TV, we watch Netfilx/Hulu/Direct TV Now.

ATT even gave us a free Roku Premiere for signing up for 2 months.

Only drawback is you can't get your local networks, need to get a digital antenna.

vCash
    The newer ones have HD LNBs but I call bull shit on the weather statement. However it is better than years ago. It takes more rain for you to loose reception.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bully13 View Post
    ATT guy says the new dishes are better and have all but eliminated weather interruptions. Direct T.V. tech just left my home and says the Dish I've had on my roof since 2011 when I was with Direct T.V. way back then will remain, just replaced the connections and such. said that I will still experience weather interruptions. said a lot of ATT guys lie about the "enhanced" tech with the dishes to get you to switch to Direct T.V. from U-verse.

I had Directv for over 19 years. I was always told that what caused the weather issues was what was in the clouds between the satellite and your dish. Also the stronger signal strength you get the lesser chance of weaither issues and making sure your dish is properly aligned. I had the dish aligment issue after a wind storm we had. Unless Directv has a new dish this past year, I think you have the current one. You may want to call Directv Technical Support and get another opinion concerning the status of your dish and if it is the latest.

vCash

Must have been the same salesman who was calling me the other week cause my cable didn't go out during the tropical storm like his DTV did..

vCash
    DONT DO IT!! I fell for the "better dishes, less weather interruptions" bullshit. Now I'm counting down the days until my DIRECTV contract ends. I've already got CSpire Fiber on standby for the day my contract ends. I liked UVerse WAYYY better than DirecTV. Others may have better experiences, but I've had DIRECTV twice and will never have it again if I can help it.

And they also did the same crap to me where they kept my old dish, but said they but new transponders or some horse shit. Pisses me off
    Last edited by CadaverDawg; 10-21-2017 at 12:55 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DownwardDawg View Post
    I have direct tv I have ATT only because I neeand d Internet and it's my only option. ATT is absolute garbage. Direct Tv has been great but I almost cancelled when ATT bought them. Anyway, that direct tech seems mistaken. You should get a new dish with 4 of the little thingy magigies in the center. (Whatever they're called) That's the newest HD style dish and all new cables. I rarely lose reception in weather.

I can relate to that. I told ATT that the internt speed on my DSL service shouldn't even be considered high speed internet. I was getting like 1.5 mbps at the max. I got lucky and we had Uverse Fiber to the Home come in earlier this year, and now I am paying for 100 mbps and testing out at 120+ upload and download usually.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CadaverDawg View Post
    DONT DO IT!! I fell for the "better dishes, less weather interruptions" bullshit. Now I'm counting down the days until my DIRECTV contract ends. I've already got CSpire Fiber on standby for the day my contract ends. I liked UVerse WAYYY better than DirecTV. Others may have better experiences, but I've had DIRECTV twice and will never have it again if I can help it.

And they also did the same crap to me where they kept my old dish, but said they but new transponders or some horse shit. Pisses me off

I now have Uverse Fiber to the Home and I think the picture quality is actually better than Directv was. I had to reduce the brightness, contrast, sharpness and color, and maybe a few other tweaks from the Directv settings, but I think it is a better picture and easier on your eyes to watch.
    Last edited by yjnkdawg; 10-21-2017 at 01:08 PM.

vCash
    I just switched back to direct TV from dish. DirecTV definitely works better in the weather then my dish service did. I live where my only options are DSL or LTE for Internet and dish or direct for TV. I think you will like the switch.

Banned
    vCash
    I'm watching it now (direct) and the picture quality is better than what I had with u-verse. I just hate it when I'm told one thing and then the tech says another.

vCash
    I'm watching it now (direct) and the picture quality is better than what I had with u-verse. I just hate it when I'm told one thing and then the tech says another.
    I had an issue when I moved to Starkville. I wanted to get Direct TV set back up. I'm currently renting a house until my house in Tupelo sells, so my landlord will not let me attach anything to the house. So, I was going to have to get it on one of those poles. The tech came out and said the tree line wouldn't allow it. Needless to say, I had to go with MaxxSouth instead. I have an ATT guy that is a patient of mine, and he told me that the tech could have figured something out to make it work but apparently didn't want to work hard that day.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CadaverDawg View Post

Correct. DirecTV is no better now than it ever had been against rain.

They have gotten a lot better with features and stuff it does through a combo of satellite and internet. Some channels let you rewind to the start of a show even though you just tuned to that show. I am impressed with all the features they have.

But it still sucks in thunderstorms. During severe weather, we pull our cell phones and steam local weather stations via WiFi.

vCash
    Having Directv for 19+ plus years, the weather had always been a potential locating signal problem. If after 19 years and not come up with a solution, I highly doubt they have solved it now. It seems that weather related issues are just a part of the shooting a signal from their satellite to your home dish. There are some factors, where the dish is located, signal strength, alignment issues, etc. involved where some subscribers will experience more weather related issues than others, but it still is what it is.

vCash
    I've beeen with Dirctv for years. Weather interruptions happen, but they usually last no more than 5 minutes. My alternative is MaxxSouth. That's no alternative in my book.

vCash
    I've DTV and the same equipment for about 5 years now. I wanted to cut the cord, but I don't think AT&T is reliable enough yet. One thing I am an concerned about with keeping DTV is the equipment going bad and being on the hook for it. Are long term customers ever entitled to new equipment for free?

I'm due to call in and leverage a discount by threatening to close my account, but I don't if I can pull off the discount and new equipment.