Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: 247 Sports / Genespage melt down

That New Coach - That's better than the Old Coach
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Thick View Post
    Paul, you were quick to respond to my post. I’m curious to know how often do you cruise this site for your content. It’s apparent that you definitely keep an eye out. Did you happen to attend the Women’s Final Four or did you send Robbie? Just curious if you attended the biggest event in MSU women’s sports history, and definitely in the top 3 maybe 5 in MSU history. At the end of the day, your excuse is you got burned out. In most professions, once you burn out you get lazy, and slack in your duty. Thus, you get acquired/merge with another that has apparently a stronger presence to some.
    Not to get involved in this spat but does it matter if Paul wasn't there if Robbie was? Someone from the site had coverage. If Gene doesn't go someplace but sends Steve or David isn't it about the site being represented? Now I'll step back.

vCash
    Paul, you were quick to respond to my post. I?m curious to know how often do you cruise this site for your content. It?s apparent that you definitely keep an eye out. Did you happen to attend the Women?s Final Four or did you send Robbie? Just curious if you attended the biggest event in MSU women?s sports history, and definitely in the top 3 maybe 5 in MSU history. At the end of the day, your excuse is you got burned out. In most professions, once you burn out you get lazy, and slack in your duty. Thus, you get acquired/merge with another that has apparently a stronger presence to some.
    I look at several sites and have a good relationship with the admins here and at Six Pack. Robbie covered the Women's Final Four for us.
    247Sports loves the way I work for them and the content I provide. We cover HS games every weekend and when Robbie could cover the Final Four, I had no need to go. I have never been lazy in my life. I did get burned out from traveling so much when in the newspaper business, mainly because for 4 straight years, to help my family more, I had to run a paper route along with my regular work duties. I drove 100 miles a day for 6 days a week for 4 straight years, not counting my normal travel for the newspaper. Many nights I would drive in from LSU or Auburn or Georgia, get home at 4 am and head right back out Sunday morning to deliver paper.

Not to mention, covering road games ain't like what it used to be with everything on TV now and having social media.

Again, probably shouldn't have let this bother me and you guys say what you want to say. But I didn't like seeing people talk about me like they know my past. You took my 'burned out' comment like I was burnt out from covering sports, lol. Our merger had nothing to do with what you say - us slacking - and we've steadily grown at 247 and we're doing fine. Then CBS bought a bankrupt Scout network and merged all the sites regardless of which site was doing what.

I do look at this site from time to time because a few times, people have copied and pasted our info. Not a big deal to me as long as they say where it came from.

vCash
    Paul, I subscribe to 247. I’m going to stick with it because y’all do a good job. I’ve never had a complaint. Good stories, interviews etc...

But that name though! That is turrible.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by EAVdog View Post
    Paul, I subscribe to 247. I’m going to stick with it because y’all do a good job. I’ve never had a complaint. Good stories, interviews etc...

This is how everyone at 247 feels. We sub there because Paul/Robbie objectively give the best coverage of State sports, and it isn't close.

That being said, the merger could be a great thing in that it brings more posters. The unfortunate side is an inflated staff while only 3 of them (Paul, Robbie, Steve) carry their weight.

vCash
    I think it?s pretty clear in this thread I?m not a Gene guy but I like Steve. He gained a lot in my eyes after that all of me article about his life. I gained respect for him as a human. That said, are there really people beating up Paul over not traveling to away games when Steve covered MSU from Baton Rouge for a bunch of years? Give me a break y?all. End of the day I think Steve, Paul, and Robbie are the future and can provide great content for MSU fans via totally different personalities and skill sets. Gene and David need to retire. And the MSU site does not need to be named after Gene. It?s insane to name the MSU board after a semi retired photographer.

vCash
    I’m sure it’ll be just as good or better adding Steve. As long as he doesn’t go on another DeVinney witch hunt. ‘Genes Page’ just sounds like some androgynous dudes YouTube Channel who is way into cats. Doesn’t sound anything remotely MSU related. Just had branding, which I know Paul/Robbie probably have no control over.

Plus I’ll add that I’ve always felt like Paul/Robbie we’re good dudes even though I’ve never met them. Seriously it’s been a pleasure being a part of the board.

vCash
    This is just my 2 cents worth. People join various sites for basically the same reasons. They want to learn and read as much positive scoop about their school as they can get, period. I think in Paul's response of not traveling to MSU games my leave sorta of a bad taste in 247 member's mouth. They want to see the folks they buy information from to be as excited as they are. It has been obvious Paul and crew haven't traveled like some others who have a business like theirs. Their write-ups hit the boards as quick as the fans and they would comment during the game, on the in game threads. I could care less either way. but I did hold Steve's write-ups in a different light for the simple reason he put forth the effort of going. People want to see effort, not when its conveniuante to go. 247 does a great job on Big Dawg recruiting camp. Its local. That's my point, payee's want to feel like they are getting something for their money. The effort takes care of that.

vCash
    All the other sites have School Names or something related to their team mascot. LSU has Geaux247. GA has Dawgs247. And we have Gene's Page ???? Wow
    Last edited by yjnkdawg; 10-20-2017 at 09:29 PM.

vCash
    Don’t care for the name either. It should be something that represents the university.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodaski View Post
    This is just my 2 cents worth. People join various sites for basically the same reasons. They want to learn and read as much positive scoop about their school as they can get, period. I think in Paul's response of not traveling to MSU games my leave sorta of a bad taste in 247 member's mouth. They want to see the folks they buy information from to be as excited as they are. It has been obvious Paul and crew haven't traveled like some others who have a business like theirs. Their write-ups hit the boards as quick as the fans and they would comment during the game, on the in game threads. I could care less either way. but I did hold Steve's write-ups in a different light for the simple reason he put forth the effort of going. People want to see effort, not when its conveniuante to go. 247 does a great job on Big Dawg recruiting camp. Its local. That's my point, payee's want to feel like they are getting something for their money. The effort takes care of that.

Maybe I've missed something, but I see a lot more evidence of Robbie traveling than pretty much any other non University employed reporter. Lot of interaction on social media between him and the university guys like Matt and Bob.

vCash
    Bash Paul, bash Gene - shouldn’t someone bash Wardlaw now for old times sake?

Paysite Policeman Dawg-gone-dawgs's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    While I admit this merger is amusing they really should change the name of the site from Genespage to something else. I like the HailState247 idea over there.

It sounds to me like 247 thought Genespage was bigger and went with it and didn't realize that it was a dying website.
    Would they be able to use HailState since it is trademarked by the university?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by yjnkdawg View Post
    All the other sites have School Names or something related to their team mascot. LSU has Geaux247. GA has Dawgs247. And we have Gene's Page ???? Wow
    It's kind of like Hail State, Roll Tide, War Eagle, Gig'em Aggies, Geaux Tigers, and then OM has Hotty Toddy. smh

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    Bash Paul, bash Gene - shouldn’t someone bash Wardlaw now for old times sake?
    Why would I bash a guy that gave me a lifetime subscription?**

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg-gone-dawgs View Post
    Would they be able to use HailState since it is trademarked by the university?
    Probably if it's HailState247. They're promoting and working with the University and promoting MSU athletics so I don't see it being a huge issue.

vCash
    Sounds like a bunch of damn women in this thread, lol. I disagree with the calling Paul out for not traveling as much....If Robbie is going & 247 is represented, that would be dumb for more than one of them to go. In case some of you haven't considered this, these guys aren't making 6 figures running these sites....so they have to work smarter, not just harder, at times. So let's get away from the personal attacks and just agree that this group should be able to provide us, the fans, with better coverage than ever as a group. If there is to be any anger, it should be directed at Gene for this dumb assed name deal. Somebody buy the man a pizza & a new camera in exchange for him dropping the name shit & giving us a Cowbell247 or Clanga247 or HailState247. Genespage?...really Gene? If you really want your name to stick around, do what's right for the school & fan base you work for and give us a site we can be proud of by dropping your name as the site name.

As for Steve and Paul, they both love MSU and do a great job covering it, and Robbie seems okay. Let's support these guys and unite behind them instead of trying to always be so damn divisive. We are all on the same team, and not a damn one of us are perfect.

Hail State?
    Last edited by CadaverDawg; 10-20-2017 at 11:22 PM.

vCash
    Don’t understand the people calling out Paul! Does Paul come on yall job and cause problems well don’t cause problems on his! Paul they don’t supervise you or your work you don’t owe these keyboard cowboys an explanation. Keep up the good work my guy..

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Yarddawg View Post
    Don’t understand the people calling out Paul! Does Paul come on yall job and cause problems well don’t cause problems on his! Paul they don’t supervise you or your work you don’t owe these keyboard cowboys an explanation. Keep up the good work my guy..
    Neither does mean Gene. For the record though, I don?t care who you/anyone calls out in the great merger of 2017

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CadaverDawg View Post
    Sounds like a bunch of damn women in this thread, lol. I disagree with the calling Paul out for not traveling as much....If Robbie is going & 247 is represented, that would be dumb for more than one of them to go. In case some of you haven't considered this, these guys aren't making 6 figures running these sites....so they have to work smarter, not just harder, at times. So let's get away from the personal attacks and just agree that this group should be able to provide us, the fans, with better coverage than ever as a group. If there is to be any anger, it should be directed at Gene for this dumb assed name deal. Somebody buy the man a pizza & a new camera in exchange for him dropping the name shit & giving us a Cowbell247 or Clanga247 or HailState247. Genespage?...really Gene? If you really want your name to stick around, do what's right for the school & fan base you work for and give us a site we can be proud of by dropping your name as the site name.

As for Steve and Paul, they both love MSU and do a great job covering it, and Robbie seems okay. Let's support these guys and unite behind them instead of trying to always be so damn divisive. We are all on the same team, and not a damn one of us are perfect.

Hail State?
    Bravo sir!!

vCash
    Paul, you were quick to respond to my post. I’m curious to know how often do you cruise this site for your content. It’s apparent that you definitely keep an eye out. Did you happen to attend the Women’s Final Four or did you send Robbie? Just curious if you attended the biggest event in MSU women’s sports history, and definitely in the top 3 maybe 5 in MSU history. At the end of the day, your excuse is you got burned out. In most professions, once you burn out you get lazy, and slack in your duty. Thus, you get acquired/merge with another that has apparently a stronger presence to some.
    Quote Originally Posted by EAVdog View Post

I feel the same way.