Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 247 Sports / Genespage melt down

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by yjnkdawg View Post
    I had been a subscriber to 247 for a good while. Last year I subscribed to GP because of Steve and I got the good yearly + deal. My understanding was that the merger would be done during our football bi week. I just wonder how it will effect dual subscriptions, because my GP goes through April 2018 and I'm on a monthly one for 247?
    It will carry over and you will add the month you paid for at 247 to your subscription length at GP

vCash
    Do either of those do the traffic ED does? Or even six pack?

I've never been on either but listen to the boneyard every MWF and Paul and Robbie are always good on radio spots. Seems like from what I've read if Gene got out of the way the merger would work fine.
    Last edited by confucius say; 10-20-2017 at 06:52 PM.

vCash
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Gene's Page the first MSU sports forum, dating back into the '90s when the Internet was pretty much in it's infancy and many people didn't even have access, and those who did were on dialup? I first joined there I think in the mid- to late-'90s, and at first he had just free board, then added "premium content". There was also a board by the Internet Bulldog Booster Club, or IBBC, but that forum didn't last long. And later on, the IBBC (a tailgating group) dissipated entirely. I pretty much got tired of sports boards in general and basically quit reading or posting anywhere around 2008. At some point Gene's Page because a totally "premium", or pay, site and I never bothered to join. I joined SPS at some point around the time they broke away from Gene's Page, but didn't really participate much. And I joined ED after it broke away from SPS, but only started actively reading and posting about 3 or 4 years ago.

Anyway, given that Gene's was pretty much the "flagship" board (kind of like OM is the "flagship" school **) I can see how his name might justify sticking with the consolidated board. I just don't see how anybody can make a decent living running and reporting for sports boards, but maybe I'm don't know the full picture.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Political Hack View Post
    I love me some Thick, but Paul > Rosie every day and twice on Sundays if for no other reason than ethical decency.

Some people are about themselves. Some are about things bigger than themselves.
    Hack, I love you, but that's stupid. He just said he didn't travel to games cause he got burnt out. I wish I could tell my job I'm burnt out and not do what's part of my job. Steve and David travel to games, Paul doesn't. And you're saying Steve is the one about himself? Ok.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Jones View Post
    It will carry over and you will add the month you paid for at 247 to your subscription length at GP

Thanks Paul.

vCash
    This merger seems to be coming along just fine haha

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JDog13 View Post
    Hack, I love you, but that's stupid. He just said he didn't travel to games cause he got burnt out. I wish I could tell my job I'm burnt out and not do what's part of my job. Steve and David travel to games, Paul doesn't. And you're saying Steve is the one about himself? Ok.
    My main job is recruiting and not team coverage though. I still travel to HS games, mostly in this area but driving on my own dime to cover MSU road games got old and wasn't smart financially. Not sure what beef you have with me but I admire your support for Steve. I do recall you saying last month to me that MSU Scout and 247Sports sites would remain separate and be ran as 2 different sites, but I told you that wasn't going to be the case.

Just cause you are loyal to an MSU writer doesn't mean you have to take cheap shots at other MSU writers. But to each his own. As Hack and others here know, it's never about me and just a guy working in sports.

vCash
    A grown man burnt me to promote himself over another site. It is what it is and I don't hold any grudges, but that doesn't mean I have to be fan.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Political Hack View Post
    A grown man burnt me to promote himself over another site. It is what it is and I don't hold any grudges, but that doesn't mean I have to be fan.
    Wait, he burnt you? I've only been around for like 2-3 years, what I miss?

vCash
    I left Gene's page b/c I hated the multiple message boards. I can't believe Gene can't put his ego aside and let go of his name. That's pretty bad.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by confucius say View Post
    Wait, he burnt you? I've only been around for like 2-3 years, what I miss?
    Think he talking about the Redmond deal

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HoopsDawg View Post
    I left Gene's page b/c I hated the multiple message boards. I can't believe Gene can't put his ego aside and let go of his name. That's pretty bad.
    To be fair, it is one BA name lol

vCash
    My main job is recruiting and not team coverage though. I still travel to HS games, mostly in this area but driving on my own dime to cover MSU road games got old and wasn't smart financially. Not sure what beef you have with me but I admire your support for Steve. I do recall you saying last month to me that MSU Scout and 247Sports sites would remain separate and be ran as 2 different sites, but I told you that wasn't going to be the case.

Just cause you are loyal to an MSU writer doesn't mean you have to take cheap shots at other MSU writers. But to each his own. As Hack and others here know, it's never about me and just a guy working in sports.
    July was last month? I agree I said it was gonna stay two separate sites back then. I messaged Steve and asked him about it, and his response was the boards would be merging. I listened to the wrong person. I admit it.

As far as having a beef with you, I have as much of a beef with you as everyone else on here has a beef with Steve. I subscribe to him, they subscribe to you. You said in your post you didn't travel, so I defended someone saying Steve was about himself. He travels and provides more coverage for his subscribers by traveling. That seems like he's more about his subscribers than himself.

A lot of cheap shots are being taken here about Steve, but I don't see him on here defending himself. So maybe adress all the cheap shots if you feel so strongly about supporting all MSU writers. But to each his own.

If you want to beef with me, that's fine. You singled Thick and I out, out of all the people on here talking shit. So cool, we beefin. You smell funny.

vCash
    Of course I singled out Thick. He told something about me and my profession that was untrue.

vCash
    Of course I singled out Thick. He told something about me and my profession that was untrue.
    Address my other points. We can't beef properly if you avoid them.

Edit: Thick did say something that was true. So 50/50
    Last edited by JDog13; 10-20-2017 at 07:47 PM.

vCash
    While I admit this merger is amusing they really should change the name of the site from Genespage to something else. I like the HailState247 idea over there.

It sounds to me like 247 thought Genespage was bigger and went with it and didn't realize that it was a dying website.

vCash
    What's the 247/Spirit site going to be called?

vCash
    Delete
    Last edited by yjnkdawg; 10-20-2017 at 08:00 PM.

vCash
    What's the 247/Spirit site going to be called?
    Yancy page

vCash
    Paul, you were quick to respond to my post. I’m curious to know how often do you cruise this site for your content. It’s apparent that you definitely keep an eye out. Did you happen to attend the Women’s Final Four or did you send Robbie? Just curious if you attended the biggest event in MSU women’s sports history, and definitely in the top 3 maybe 5 in MSU history. At the end of the day, your excuse is you got burned out. In most professions, once you burn out you get lazy, and slack in your duty. Thus, you get acquired/merge with another that has apparently a stronger presence to some.