Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Buy or Sell: UGA will catch Bama in the coming years

vCash
    What is meant by catch Alabama-championships?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Political Hack View Post
    I'm buying. I think the sleeping juggernaut in Georgia has woken up. They're about to dominate in state recruiting and stop bleeding so many kids to Florida, Bama, FSU, Tenn, Clemson, Auburn, etc... They lost all their best in-state products year after year after year. That's changing under Smart. If they consolidate talent in the state of Georgia, theyll catch and pass Bama.
    Sell. It's certainly looking promising, but how many coaches have a good second year and then don't really improve on it. Hell, outside of 2014, you could say that about Mullen.

You have to be pumped if you're a UGA fan right now. Recruiting hasn't been a problem for them and it looks like Kirby will keep that going if not step it up a small notch (which is all it can be stepped up). They haven't had an inexplicable loss yet. I'm pretty bullish on UGA but still think the smart money is on UGA playing at most the role of LSU in the peak Bama/UGA rules. Good enough to threaten them and maybe win on occasion, but ultimately a clear 2nd fiddle.

I don't think anyone will dethrone saban. I think the only question is whether he quits while he still has the intensity or whether he goes for a few years at less than full intensity and lets somebody pass him. I can't decide which one is more likely. I think he will hate going at less than all in, but I also have trouble seeing him being able to walk away. Maybe the most likely thing is for him to go at full intensity into an early grave.

Banned
    vCash
    There is a lot of overselling UGA and a lot of underselling the SECPOTY and BAMA in this thread.

Some QB rating stats.

http://www.espn.com/ncf/qbr

Jalen and the WRs are just starting to hit their stride. I'm not saying Jalen is Tom Brady, but he is incredibly efficient, never turns the ball over, and just makes plays. If someone says that Jalen isn't vastly improved over last season as a passer, then they aren't paying attention.

Plus, UGA is a one dimensional (running) football team, and BAMA crushes one dimensional football teams, especially those with a freshman playing quarterback. The ONLY teams to defeat BAMA have had exceptional QB play. UGA isn't getting that from a freshman against our defense.

If BAMA played UGA today they would be favored 11.5 ish.

Georgia has improved some on D, but if they played BAMA today, BAMA would be the best offense they have played by far. Remember, BAMA's offense, including Jalen, has put up the offensive statistics they have while often calling off the dogs at half time. UGA would be run off the field against Alabama right at this moment.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Token Bammer View Post
    There is a lot of overselling UGA and a lot of underselling the SECPOTY and BAMA in this thread.

Some QB rating stats.

http://www.espn.com/ncf/qbr

Jalen and the WRs are just starting to hit their stride. I'm not saying Jalen is Tom Brady, but he is incredibly efficient, never turns the ball over, and just makes plays. If someone says that Jalen isn't vastly improved over last season as a passer, then they aren't paying attention.

Plus, UGA is a one dimensional (running) football team, and BAMA crushes one dimensional football teams, especially those with a freshman playing quarterback. The ONLY teams to defeat BAMA have had exceptional QB play. UGA isn't getting that from a freshman against our defense.

If BAMA played UGA today they would be favored 11.5 ish.

Georgia has improved some on D, but if they played BAMA today, BAMA would be the best offense they have played by far. Remember, BAMA's offense, including Jalen, has put up the offensive statistics they have while often calling off the dogs at half time. UGA would be run off the field against Alabama right at this moment.
    He hasn't faced a defense that could stop a powder puff football team yet. Florida state is the closest thing and we see what they've done since. Bama is efficient on offense. They're efficient everywhere because Saban demands it, but they haven't been challenged by even a decent defense. Ole Miss? Vandy? Fresno? A&M? Ark? If he didn't have GREAT numbers with bama's OL and talent around him against those teams, it would be time to start looking for a new QB.

vCash
    Biggest sell in the universe. Ain't happening.

vCash
    The last time I did a buy or sell it was whether the egg bowl 1) would decide which team goes bowling and 2) whether it would be Freeze's last game. I bought. Almost everyone's else sold, hard.

Somebody remind me of this thread when it proves to be right too.

vCash
    Buy. Georgia keeping in state talent is going to help because Georgia is a Top 5 recruiting state. Texas, California, and Florida are your big 3 in terms of talent. Georgia is probably number 4 and they get a ton of those guys. Smart will stop some that go to Auburn, but he's going to be able to go out of state and get guys. Not at the rate Bama does, but if this makes sense, he doesn't have to as much as Bama. Even though Bama is a national brand, they would still have to go out of state to get guys. The Top 10 guys in Georgia are better than the Top 10 guys in the state of AL. Alabama has a lot of good talent, but Georgia talent is better and deeper.

But Smart is getting out there. He's already got a commit from what some consider the top RB in the nation for 2018. He's from NC. Got another Top 300 player at WR from FL. Got a couple 3 stars from LA and OK. For 2019 he's got a commit from a Top 5 WR from FL. He's going to be able to recruit outside of Georgia, but point being, he doesn't have to as much as Bama does. If Smart keeps a few more guys away from Auburn, takes advantage of the state of FL teams being down, and gets a couple Top 200 guys each year from out of state, he's got a shot to win a national title in the next 3-4 years. Plus he's got the best QB in the 2018 class committed.

When you have that with all the other talent they have, they will have a chance in the coming years, especially because they are probably a guarantee to be the East representative in the SEC Championship for the forseeable future.
    Last edited by MetEdDawg; 10-20-2017 at 11:55 AM.

Banned
    vCash
    He hasn't faced a defense that could stop a powder puff football team yet. Florida state is the closest thing and we see what they've done since. Bama is efficient on offense. They're efficient everywhere because Saban demands it, but they haven't been challenged by even a decent defense. Ole Miss? Vandy? Fresno? A&M? Ark? If he didn't have GREAT numbers with bama's OL and talent around him against those teams, it would be time to start looking for a new QB.
    The exact same thing could be said for UGA/Fromm. I have no doubt this will play out the way I expect it to come December. We will just have to see when the game is played, but there is a distinct, noticeable difference between the two teams.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TUSK View Post
    Don't try to "out Bammer" Bammer....

Here's a list of AP Top 20 teams that Bammer would smoosh.... like a bored A-10 Warthog pilot with a 3 bump on the trigger in the middle of the desert....

2 PSU
    3 UGA
    4 TCU
    5 Wisconsin
    12 Washington
    13 Notre Dame
    14 VA Tech
    16 USF
    16 NC State
    18 Michigan State
    19 Michigan
    20 UCF
    TUSK, I'm going to have to out Bammer you. I am of the belief there are only three teams in the top 20 that could give BAMA a run. However, even in saying that, two may be fraudulent.

1) Clemson (when healthy)

2) OSU - they are talent rich but I think Barrett and the Urban Meyer offense is a fraud. We'll see very soon.

3) OU- because of Mayfield. A good quarterback on a great day can beat man coverage. It has rarely happened, but when it does this is how Alabama has lost under Saban. Beat our press man and make plays with your feet/arm outside the pocket when the play breaks down. Mayfield is capable of this, but doing it is another thing. He is no Deshaun Watson. Jmo
    Last edited by Token Bammer; 10-20-2017 at 01:52 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Token Bammer View Post
    The exact same thing could be said for UGA/Fromm. I have no doubt this will play out the way I expect it to come December. We will just have to see when the game is played, but there is a distinct, noticeable difference between the two teams.
    What's the difference? They have a legit running game of backs and you only have one that's producing?

vCash
    I remember the last fast-rising star in the East. Just like smart, he fought to get bowl eligible his first season, then took off his 2nd year to an 11-win season. He was killing it on the recruiting trail... back-to-back #3 national recruiting classes. He was at a giant of a school and would be the next saban. Who was this future HOFer? Will Muschamp, now at South Carolina.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldawg28 View Post
    What's the difference? They have a legit running game of backs and you only have one that's producing?
    You can't be serious...

vCash
    Sell. When Saban retires, the SEC will become more competitive again. I don't foresee any one coach or program dominating the SEC like Saban at Bama has for a long long time. Keep in mind, Kirby's biggest win at UGA was a few weeks ago at Notre Dame... However, I do see UGA dominating the SEC East for the next few years until Florida can find a decent QB and/or Tenn can make a decent hire.

Our Pretentious Preacher preachermatt83's Avatar
    vCash
    Buy... I think UGA beats Bama this yr
    Romans 5:8

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldawg28 View Post
    Most awesome post eveh.

��
    "It is not courage to resist TUSK; It is courage to accept TUSK."

No.

Easy there buddy. Tusk is...well Tusk is Tusk. Tireddawg 12.20.17

Banned
    vCash
    Buy. Georgia's program has more potential than Alabama's, plus Saban is only getting older.

vCash
    If anyone replaces saban and Bama as the alpha program, it will be urban and Ohio State. Urban consistently recruits elite players and has proven he can win big time... 3 titles at 2 programs. Urban is 13 years younger than saban too. When the torch is passed it will be passed to urban like it has been before... saban to nfl, urban took over... saban took it back from urban... urban beat saban for a natty, but saban stayed ahead... These 2 are the best in the business by far

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hasu Dackds View Post
    Buy. Georgia's program has more potential than Alabama's...
    If this is true, then it has never materialized in over 100 years of college football. Just sayin....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    If anyone replaces saban and Bama as the alpha program, it will be urban and Ohio State. Urban consistently recruits elite players and has proven he can win big time... 3 titles at 2 programs. Urban is 13 years younger than saban too. When the torch is passed it will be passed to urban like it has been before... saban to nfl, urban took over... saban took it back from urban... urban beat saban for a natty, but saban stayed ahead... These 2 are the best in the business by far
    Urban can't even manage the Big 10, but he is a sleeping giant.

vCash
    Urban can't even manage the Big 10, but he is a sleeping giant.
    Lol, ok hack... his record at OSU is 67-7. The playoffs have been in existence 3 years; urban has been in it 2 times with one title. The one year he missed out, he lost to a playoff team (Michigan State) on the road by 3; his final record was 12-1 that year, including a fiesta bowl win. He will be back in the playoffs this year again... book it