Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Want To Know How Much Expectations Have Been Raised at MSU?

vCash

Want To Know How Much Expectations Have Been Raised at MSU?

Just finished listening to the B&B Show this morning where the main topic of the show was grading out each individual position unit.

The interesting part of this is that our defense has gone from 110 nationally to currently 8th but both Sammon and Hadad gave each individual unit on defense a C grade.

It has become clear that MSU fans have evolved from comparing our team to competitive, bowl teams to comparing our team vs what we need to win a natty.

It's an interesting transformation that has happened before our eyes.

Proceed with caution though because until Saban leaves Bama, competing for a natty is a virtually unattainable goal.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    Just finished listening to the B&B Show this morning where the main topic of the show was grading out each individual position unit.

The interesting part of this is that our defense has gone from 110 nationally to currently 8th but both Sammon and Hadad gave each individual unit on defense a C grade.

It has become clear that MSU fans have evolved from comparing our team to competitive, bowl teams to comparing our team vs what we need to win a natty.

It's an interesting transformation that has happened before our eyes.

Proceed with caution though because until Saban leaves Bama, competing for a natty is a virtually unattainable goal.
    I think it may partially be us saying "what do we need to win a natty" but I think it is moreso asking ourselves "how can we be a legit contender in the current SEC landscape?" We all accept that Bama is a semipro team under Saban and that virtually no one is catching them. But we're asking how do we break through the glass ceiling to be the 2nd or 3rd best team in the conference. By default, that means what do we need to be a playoff threat/NYD6 team.
    It's the roller coaster of hope that this program keeps us on that makes it hell being a State fan. - CadaverDawg, 10/15/22

vCash
    We held a team to 10 points, under 200 yards for the game, 29 yards rushing and they gave each unit a C? Damn I thought I had high standards.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by War Machine Dawg View Post
    I think it may partially be us saying "what do we need to win a natty" but I think it is moreso asking ourselves "how can we be a legit contender in the current SEC landscape?" We all accept that Bama is a semipro team under Saban and that virtually no one is catching them. But we're asking how do we break through the glass ceiling to be the 2nd or 3rd best team in the conference. By default, that means what do we need to be a playoff threat/NYD6 team.
    I agree. It's starting to happen because it's the next step for us. Eventually people will want more than just 6-8 wins and a bowl game and the bar will be raised to 8-10 and a NYD bowl game. It won't be easy but that's OK. Getting to that point where our expectations are raised is a good thing.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    I agree. It's starting to happen because it's the next step for us. Eventually people will want more than just 6-8 wins and a bowl game and the bar will be raised to 8-10 and a NYD bowl game. It won't be easy but that's OK. Getting to that point where our expectations are raised is a good thing.
    Yep. We won a great game against LSU then our bubble was burst. I think we have to realize that we went 6-7 last year with some bad losses and a squeaker against the wrong Miami. Still got to build and take the next steps. I like the direction with what's going on in crootin' right now and that is key. All things considered, I can't complain too much about the current direction.

vCash
    We held a team to 10 points, under 200 yards for the game, 29 yards rushing and they gave each unit a C? Damn I thought I had high standards.
    No kidding. Their longest run was 7 yards and we only gave up
    One big play.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by War Machine Dawg View Post
    You do that by continuing to build the program the way Dan has. He has laid a good solid foundation. The key IMO is to continue to sign and develop athletic dual threat QBs that can be difference makers and just continue to slightly improve talent over time in other areas.

We will never be a school that goes out and lands a top 10 class every year. But, if we can start putting consecutive classes together in the 15-20 or even 15-25 range without having a slip up year where we sign a 30s class we can make that jump as long as we continue to develop QBs. We don't need a team full of difference makers we just need a solid group of SEC guys with a couple difference makers on each side of the ball.

You throw in a legit receiving threat with this offense and we are are a different team. Add one legit lock down corner and our defense immediately makes a jump from pretty good to extremely good. We don't have to have elite talent up and down the roster to compete with everyone outside of Bama at this point. The coaches in the west are pretty average outside of Saban and are all beatable.

We can win big(make runs to NY6 Bowls) if we have great QB play and a solid defense. We just have to stay patient and let the process that has gotten us this far continue to work.

Over the last 4 years/what we have done so far this year-

Alabama- 0-4
    Auburn- 2-3
    LSU- 2-3
    Arkansas- 3-1
    Texas am- 2-2
    Ole Miss - 2-2

We are making clearly making improvements and have a chance over the next 4 to take advantage of an average SECW. We should continue to be competitive with LSU and Auburn. I see no reason as to why we wouldn't have a winning record against Ole Miss and Upig. Alabama is still going to be a L unless something drastic changes. And with TAMU who knows, it wouldn't surprise me if they figure some things out and get better or that we end up going on a 3-1 run or something like that.

Over the next 4 I could easily see us doing below:

Alabama 0-4
    Auburn 2-2
    LSU 2-2 if it werent for the name could see this as a 3-1 over the next 4
    Arkansas 3-1 or 4-0
    TAMU 3-1
    OM 4-0

That automatically puts you in the discussion for top 3 in the SECW the next 4 years. We won't see UGA anytime soon and I think they are the only team trending in the right direction in the east so we should dominate our East games and be looking at a 6-2 to 7-1 record vs the east. We get UF at home next year which will certainly be winnable.

Obviously, there are a lot of uncertainties over the next 4 years but I do think if Mullen is still here over the next 4 we can expect to win our fair share of SEC games(some big ones) and have a couple shots at NY6 bowls and elevate closer to the 9-10 win mark per season. We are literally a couple of playmakers away from being a potential 9-10 win team this year(looking at NY6 bowl) and at the beginning of the season had you told me we would have a great shot at 8 wins and almost definitely win 7 I would have taken that in a heart beat. We are currently and will continue to be on the best 8 year run we have had in a long time possibly ever... And it blows my mind some still bitch and moan as much as they do.

Starkville has changed so much since Dan came here. The facilities are nicer the town is growing tons of people/contractors are making a bunch of $$ thanks to what Dan+SEC $$ has done. Our Academics are benefiting from it. Freshman enrollment is up. As long as we stay steady eddie and don't rock the boat the future looks mighty bright for our University and our athletic department.

Paysite Policeman Dawg-gone-dawgs's Avatar
    vCash
    How in the hell are we 8th? Georgia and Auburn had their way with us. This ranking is a mirage.
    Last edited by Dawg-gone-dawgs; 10-19-2017 at 02:00 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BB30 View Post
    You do that by continuing to build the program the way Dan has. He has laid a good solid foundation. The key IMO is to continue to sign and develop athletic dual threat QBs that can be difference makers and just continue to slightly improve talent over time in other areas.

We will never be a school that goes out and lands a top 10 class every year. But, if we can start putting consecutive classes together in the 15-20 or even 15-25 range without having a slip up year where we sign a 30s class we can make that jump as long as we continue to develop QBs. We don't need a team full of difference makers we just need a solid group of SEC guys with a couple difference makers on each side of the ball.

You throw in a legit receiving threat with this offense and we are are a different team. Add one legit lock down corner and our defense immediately makes a jump from pretty good to extremely good. We don't have to have elite talent up and down the roster to compete with everyone outside of Bama at this point. The coaches in the west are pretty average outside of Saban and are all beatable.

We can win big(make runs to NY6 Bowls) if we have great QB play and a solid defense. We just have to stay patient and let the process that has gotten us this far continue to work.

Alabama- 0-4
    Auburn- 2-3
    LSU- 2-3
    Arkansas- 3-1
    Texas am- 2-2
    Ole Miss - 2-2

We are making clearly making improvements and have a chance over the next 4 to take advantage of an average SECW. We should continue to be competitive with LSU and Auburn. I see no reason as to why we wouldn't have a winning record against Ole Miss and Upig. Alabama is still going to be a L unless something drastic changes. And with TAMU who knows, it wouldn't surprise me if they figure some things out and get better or that we end up going on a 3-1 run or something like that.

Alabama 0-4
    Auburn 2-2
    Arkansas 3-1 or 4-0
    TAMU 3-1
    OM 4-0

That automatically puts you in the discussion for top 3 in the SECW the next 4 years. We won't see UGA anytime soon and I think they are the only team trending in the right direction in the east so we should dominate our East games and be looking at a 6-2 to 7-1 record vs the east. We get UF at home next year which will certainly be winnable.

Obviously, there are a lot of uncertainties over the next 4 years but I do think if Mullen is still here over the next 4 we can expect to win our fair share of SEC games(some big ones) and have a couple shots at NY6 bowls and elevate closer to the 9-10 win mark per season. We are literally a couple of playmakers away from being a potential 9-10 win team this year(looking at NY6 bowl) and at the beginning of the season had you told me we would have a great shot at 8 wins and almost definitely win 7 I would have taken that in a heart beat. We are currently and will continue to be on the best 8 year run we have had in a long time possibly ever... And it blows my mind some still bitch and moan as much as they do.

Starkville has changed so much since Dan came here. The facilities are nicer the town is growing tons of people/contractors are making a bunch of $$ thanks to what Dan+SEC $$ has done. Our Academics are benefiting from it. Freshman enrollment is up. As long as we stay steady eddie and don't rock the boat the future looks mighty bright for our University and our athletic department.
    Hear here!

Great post

vCash

Alabama- 0-4
    Auburn- 2-3
    LSU- 2-3
    Arkansas- 3-1
    Texas am- 2-2
    Ole Miss - 2-2

Alabama 0-4
    Auburn 2-2
    Arkansas 3-1 or 4-0
    TAMU 3-1
    OM 4-0

I agree. Good post but next time include chapter names and a table of contents.*
    Death penalty or bust!!!***

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg-gone-dawgs View Post
    How in the hell are we 8th? Georgia and Auburn had their way with us. This ranking is a mirage.
    It's a non pace adjusted stat (per game D) so not super efficient. Yards/play (a more accurate barometer) we are 33rd which is a lot closer to the truth IMO. UK is 73rd in yds/play D.
    We are 56th yds/play O. UK is 87th. We are, on paper, the far superior team and we're at home and we have more talent. Thus the spread.

vCash

Alabama- 0-4
    Auburn- 2-3
    LSU- 2-3
    Arkansas- 3-1
    Texas am- 2-2
    Ole Miss - 2-2

Alabama 0-4
    Auburn 2-2
    Arkansas 3-1 or 4-0
    TAMU 3-1
    OM 4-0

THIS MAN GETS IT! Thank you!

vCash
    Good stuff BB30 -

Add this in also - Our rotating East opponents over the next 4 years are UF, @UT, MO, @Vandy. Getting UF at home is HUGE. Easily could see 4-0 with those, combined with going 3-1 or 4-0 vs. Kentucky. Our next four have potential to be as good as '97-'00.

vCash

Alabama- 0-4
    Auburn- 2-3
    LSU- 2-3
    Arkansas- 3-1
    Texas am- 2-2
    Ole Miss - 2-2

Alabama 0-4
    Auburn 2-2
    Arkansas 3-1 or 4-0
    TAMU 3-1
    OM 4-0

OUTSTANDING!

vCash
    THIS MAN GETS IT! Thank you!
    You.need to take that post to heart. . His post is by far the best one I have read on here in a long time.

vCash

Alabama- 0-4
    Auburn- 2-3
    LSU- 2-3
    Arkansas- 3-1
    Texas am- 2-2
    Ole Miss - 2-2

Alabama 0-4
    Auburn 2-2
    Arkansas 3-1 or 4-0
    TAMU 3-1
    OM 4-0

Absolutely dead on accurate! Great post!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Liverpooldawg View Post
    You.need to take that post to heart. . His post is by far the best one I have read on here in a long time.
    It said a lot of the things I have been saying. You told me it would take 20 years.

vCash
    It said a lot of the things I have been saying. You told me it would take 20 years.
    It also directly refutes much of you stuff. I thought it was a great post. Slow and steady is the only real way.

vCash
    It also directly refutes much of you stuff. I thought it was a great post. Slow and steady is the only real way.
    Would the two of you just go ahead and do it and get it over with. Everyone else is tired of your passive aggressive sexual tension.***

vCash
    Like what?