Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Brian Hadad is in a heated Twitter debate....

Bennie Brown Know-It-All
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NCDawg View Post
    With all due respect to your defeatist opinion, I totally disagree. I realize, however, that we have a lot of fans, probably most of our fans, that think like you do.
    What do you think we need to do in order to do more than that? We are in year 9 of Mullen and it is clear that this is what he is. What should be done differently?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarius View Post
    What do you think we need to do in order to do more than that? We are in year 9 of Mullen and it is clear that this is what he is. What should be done differently?
    Um, I think we discussed this in previous discussions in this thread. At least to my opinion. But probably nothing. It is apparently the consensus opinion that we can't do any better than what we're doing.

vCash
    I skipped over the previous 5 pages to follow up on my original post. We aren't a consistent 8 win team yet but we are damn close.

Dan came in to a team that was a consistent 5 win team. We were cellar dwellers and he has built this program up to being a year or so away from hitting that yearly 8 win bench mark. There is no reason for me to believe that he will stop building there. In 2004 I would have never believed that we would have a football program that averaged 8 wins a year and 8 straight bowl games yet here we are. He did it. And it hasn't been easy...at all.

Now we see if he takes the next step. He's building a foundational legacy here. It takes a lot of time to move from the bottom of the heap, especially with the level of competition in this conference, but he's doing it. And he's doing it in such a way that it's not a flash in the pan.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgology View Post
    I skipped over the previous 5 pages to follow up on my original post. We aren't a consistent 8 win team yet but we are damn close.

Dan came in to a team that was a consistent 5 win team. We were cellar dwellers and he has built this program up to being a year or so away from hitting that yearly 8 win bench mark. There is no reason for me to believe that he will stop building there. In 2004 I would have never believed that we would have a football program that averaged 8 wins a year and 8 straight bowl games yet here we are. He did it. And it hasn't been easy...at all.

Now we see if he takes the next step. He's building a foundational legacy here. It takes a lot of time to move from the bottom of the heap, especially with the level of competition in this conference, but he's doing it. And he's doing it in such a way that it's not a flash in the pan.
    Spot on! Bravo, sir!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    There is one other way that we can continue to build toward a more regular occurrence of us being a 9-11 win team (yes I'm going up a notch) - a continued, and long running ineptitude by the 2 other D1 programs in Mississippi. Southern Miss is a complete afterthought now because of CUSA and their facilities. They have dropped from a respectable program to a stepping stone in a very short timeframe. That has helped our in-state recruiting depth. If Ole Miss gets hit hard, makes a Croomtastic hire, and wanders in the woods for the next 5-10 years, it could set us up to close the recruiting gap some. If the Network is neutered and is no longer buying out top talent, those 3-4 players a year could make a huge difference. We may already be seeing that in our next 2 recruiting classes. This year we are dominating the top in-state talent, next year looks good. String together 5-6 straight years of that and it could change the face of our program.
    Great point about Ole Miss and USM. USM's glory days were in the early 1980's when they were an independent along with people like Florida State, Notre Dame, Penn State and etc. Playing them and beating a couple of pretty good USM teams was smart on our part- we demonstrated to recruits the difference between the two of us.

We have a chance to take a huge step forward with Ole Miss likely going on probation no matter how well they handle it. Between Dak and hopefully stringing together 5-6 really good seasons it could change the perception of MSU football for awhile.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Pipedream View Post
    Label it what you will, but it's realistic and factual. A&M and Florida have budgets almost twice our size with two of the best recruiting bases in the entire country and even they haven't averaged 9 wins/ year the last 5-10 years. No amount of bootstrap pulling on State fans parts is going to change the natural landscape nor demographics of the region.
    Just because Florida has more resources and then mismanaged their football program the past 5-10 years...or Tennessee...or Auburn or whoever else that doesn't define OUR floor and ceiling and it doesn't mean that we can't get to 8-10 wins a year if we manage OUR situation well. All it means is that those schools mismanaged themselves even though their overall ceilings are higher than ours.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by missouridawg View Post
    Being happy in the state of our program and wanting more are not mutually exclusive ideas. The problem that our fan base has, is identifying why we are having success.

Spoiler alert, it?s because of Mullen. We can?t go hire someone better than him. And anyone who thinks we should try to move on from him should have their cat scanned.

Mullen is so important to us because of his ability to develop QBs. QBs are what drives the success of every team and it is paramount for us to have a good developer of QB talent. I got to State in 2000. Fant, York, Connor, Henig, And Lee are the QBs I saw before Mullen got here. Every Mullen QB who started for us is better than the best on that list.

To me, our next steps are to be taken on the recruiting trails. It?s a broken record, but that?s our biggest deficiency right now. If we could somehow find more Stewart Reese?s and prevent Saban from poaching the Knotts, Lashleys, and Raekwon Davis?of the world, that?s how we will take another step. I think Mullen has positioned himself to benefit greatly on the recruiting trail in the coming years. Being able to show kids Dak, Fletcher, Chris Jones, Slay, Gabe, McKinney, and KJ are all his players is a big help. Dak especially, as Dak is giving MSU more marketing than anyone ever has.

If you need proof of our the tide turning in recruiting, look no further than the QB position. KT, Mayden, and Jones are all big time prospects with multiple big time offers. In 2013 , we weren?t signing those guys. But the Dak exposure is giving us an edge for those types.

Now we?ve got to figure out how get better OL, WR, and DBs to campus. Those are the 3 things we desparetly need to see improvement on. And some better depth across the board would be nice.
    Possibly the best post I've seen on ED in a long time.

Mullen is literally building this program from the ground up. If we let him do it right for another several years we may never have to go back to 3 or 4 wins a year again.

It is extremely difficult to make a perfect coaching hire. Look at all the disasters out there at premier schools like Tennessee, Florida, Texas, LSU, etc.

We made a great hire with Mullen. Enjoy it and get behind him.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulldogg31 View Post
    Possibly the best post I've seen on ED in a long time.

Mullen is literally building this program from the ground up. If we let him do it right for another several years we may never have to go back to 3 or 4 wins a year again.

It is extremely difficult to make a perfect coaching hire. Look at all the disasters out there at premier schools like Tennessee, Florida, Texas, LSU, etc.

We made a great hire with Mullen. Enjoy it and get behind him.
    Getting blown out by 2 SEC teams 80-13 this year isn't exactly making a whole lot of progress in my opinion. But, as some people on this board say, maybe we can get to 7 or 8 wins this year and everything will be great.

vCash
    5 and 7 last year with the UM stomping bringing a lot of forgiveness. We barely beat Miami of Ohio of all people to go 6 and 7. Don't forget Holloway up the middle as a feature back either. We now beat our OOC opponents regularly, the set East opponent usually, and some other West also rans. We are still far from beating Ga. and Auburn regularly. (And bama is ruining the league)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CadaverDawg View Post
    Saying MSU has hit its ceiling by becoming a pretty regular 8 game winner. That we'll never consistently become a 9-10 win team.

Agree? Disagree?

Should MSU fans be happy and content? Is it wrong for MSU fans to want to take another step?

Thoughts?
    As long as we consistently recruit mostly 3* and a few 4* guys I don't think you should expect anything more and if we continue down this path and it looks like we are, then I have to agree with Brian as well. I think we get about as much as we can get out of our talent each year. We may slip up and find an acorn here and there some years, but if we continue to do what we have been doing, why would it change?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodaski View Post
    As long as we consistently recruit mostly 3* and a few 4* guys I don't think you should expect anything more and if we continue down this path and it looks like we are, then I have to agree with Brian as well. I think we get about as much as we can get out of our talent each year. We may slip up and find an acorn here and there some years, but if we continue to do what we have been doing, why would it change?
    I've got a good friend who is a bigtime Georgia guy. We were together last weekend and got into a discussion about State and why we didn't compete better with UGa. I told him Mississippi just doesn't produce enough top-level talent every year to support one D1 power, much less 2 (or 4 if you count LSU and Bama cherry picking off the top.) So we looked it up.

This year (from memory) Mississippi has zero 5-star guys, and three or four guys who are 4-stars. By contrast, Georgia has four 5-star kids, and every kid in their top 30 was four-star or better.

I'll bet none of those Georgia kids grew up hoping to play for Mississippi State. We are absolutely fighting an uphill battle every single year. We will never be a Top 10 recruiter unless we go the Ole Miss route which we all know will send us back to purgatory.

Mullen's doing a very good job. Let the man keep building and improving our reputation by developing NFL players and I'm betting more kids WILL grow up wanting to play for us.

Bennie Brown Know-It-All
    vCash
    Um, I think we discussed this in previous discussions in this thread. At least to my opinion. But probably nothing. It is apparently the consensus opinion that we can't do any better than what we're doing.
    The only thing I've seen you do in This thread is make condescending comments and offer up very few if any solutions to what you view to be the problem. If you're going to bitch, at least have a solution for us all to hear. You think Dan is a lazy recruiter and has lazy recruiters on his staff. I don't agree that he is in any way lazy, but let's say he is. What would you do about it if you were Mullen's boss?

vCash
    The only thing I've seen you do in This thread is make condescending comments and offer up very few if any solutions to what you view to be the problem. If you're going to bitch, at least have a solution for us all to hear. You think Dan is a lazy recruiter and has lazy recruiters on his staff. I don't agree that he is in any way lazy, but let's say he is. What would you do about it if you were Mullen's boss?
    Somebody said Mullen had a "come to Jesus " talk with Hevesy about his not very good recruiting of offensive linemen. I doubt this happened, but if it did, that's a good start. I don't suppose it's too much Cohen can do about Mullen's recruiting. He can mention to him that we don't think we're getting in a whole lot of talent on the OL,W/R, or D/B's, but Mullen is locked into his contract and he is judged primarily on is his W/L record, as are all coaches. Anyway, most State fans appear to be reconciled that we are not going to win the SEC anytime soon, so I guess it's ok. If you consider this a condescending remark, so be it.

vCash
    Getting blown out by 2 SEC teams 80-13 this year isn't exactly making a whole lot of progress in my opinion. But, as some people on this board say, maybe we can get to 7 or 8 wins this year and everything will be great.
    While the 2 games were beyond disappointing and not acceptable, what are you going to do? Run off the second winningest coach at the school ever, that's led us to seven straight bowls and taken us from utter oblivion? Sounds great, sure lots of people will run to our job too w head coaching experience. And whether most on here like it or not, our job is looked at as a really poor one across the country. Yeah, we will pay, but in terms of success, it's tough. Whether that's perception or reality doesn't make two shits, just a fact.

vCash
    Regardless of whether I think Dan is lazy as a recruiter or not...

I think my honest response would be to ask him what we need to do to recruit better and listen to what he has to say. If it's needing more money in the recruiting budget I would focus on getting him that. If he wants to get different assistants that are better recruiters but he needs MSU to pay better salaries to attract those types of coaches I would do it. If he needs more recruiting assistants I would make that happen for him. Or whatever else he needs to recruit better.

If I, as his boss, were on some kind of NCAA committee and he thought a certain rule being passed would help MSU I would do everything in my power to get that rule passed.

As a boss, I would do everything in my power to try to give him everything he needed to succeed at in recruiting within NCAA rules.

And as far as the rules and recruiting- I think the early signing period and the hard 25 signee cap are both going to help us out immensely. At the very least I think Dan is a good evaluator of talent. The early signing period is going to help him know where we stand with certain recruits. And it will allow us to see where our needs are, it will allow us to not have to worry about someone like Alabama signing someone at the last minute as much, and it will allows us to place all of our attention on the guys that uncommitted. The 25 signee rule is going to eliminate counting back- meaning some coaches on our staff can't say "Oh, well let's just pool up those spots for next year and only sign one high school o-lineman." It makes the spots more valuable- and therefore not using one is almost wasting a spot.

vCash
    Somebody said Mullen had a "come to Jesus " talk with Hevesy about his not very good recruiting of offensive linemen. I doubt this happened, but if it did, that's a good start. I don't suppose it's too much Cohen can do about Mullen's recruiting. He can mention to him that we don't think we're getting in a whole lot of talent on the OL,W/R, or D/B's, but Mullen is locked into his contract and he is judged primarily on is his W/L record, as are all coaches. Anyway, most State fans appear to be reconciled that we are not going to win the SEC anytime soon, so I guess it's ok. If you consider this a condescending remark, so be it.
    I think Cohen is the opposite- and he loves football just like Keenum loves it. I don't think they are going to let any coach slack around. Obviously I think we all agree that firing Dan for not recruiting o-linemen would be extreme. I do think what they would do if they were unhappy about enough things they would just not give him an extension like after 2015. And if he fixes those things I think they would go ahead and give it to him- like after 2016.

And I'll say this about Dan and I was wrong about this with him- he seems like he does and is willing to adjust. I don't think he is nearly as stubborn as many make him out to be. He has mostly given up coaching special teams and hired a good kicking coach, he demoted Sallach which a lot of people never thought would happen in order to get Looney who is a better recruiter and coach. Dan hired Grantham after we told him we would pay whatever we needed. So, I don't know if he had a come to Jesus talk with Hevesy or not- but it honestly wouldn't surprise me if he did. To me it looks like our o-line recruiting is starting to pick up for the first time since 2009 so whatever happened it appears to be working.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    I think Cohen is the opposite- and he loves football just like Keenum loves it. I don't think they are going to let any coach slack around. Obviously I think we all agree that firing Dan for not recruiting o-linemen would be extreme. I do think what they would do if they were unhappy about enough things they would just not give him an extension like after 2015. And if he fixes those things I think they would go ahead and give it to him- like after 2016.

And I'll say this about Dan and I was wrong about this with him- he seems like he does and is willing to adjust. I don't think he is nearly as stubborn as many make him out to be. He has mostly given up coaching special teams and hired a good kicking coach, he demoted Sallach which a lot of people never thought would happen in order to get Looney who is a better recruiter and coach. Dan hired Grantham after we told him we would pay whatever we needed. So, I don't know if he had a come to Jesus talk with Hevesy or not- but it honestly wouldn't surprise me if he did. To me it looks like our o-line recruiting is starting to pick up for the first time since 2009 so whatever happened it appears to be working.
    Good post and I really hope you are correct.

Bennie Brown Know-It-All
    vCash
    On that note, the biggest thing I believe he has wanted for years is an even playing field in this state. Well he has that now and more and you can see the results in recruiting. Now is the time for a jump if one is ever going to happen. We can own recruiting in this state for the next half decade and if we play our cards right we can elevate our program to where it is viewed differently nationally.

Regardless of whether I think Dan is lazy as a recruiter or not...

I think my honest response would be to ask him what we need to do to recruit better and listen to what he has to say. If it's needing more money in the recruiting budget I would focus on getting him that. If he wants to get different assistants that are better recruiters but he needs MSU to pay better salaries to attract those types of coaches I would do it. If he needs more recruiting assistants I would make that happen for him. Or whatever else he needs to recruit better.

If I, as his boss, were on some kind of NCAA committee and he thought a certain rule being passed would help MSU I would do everything in my power to get that rule passed.

As a boss, I would do everything in my power to try to give him everything he needed to succeed at in recruiting within NCAA rules.

And as far as the rules and recruiting- I think the early signing period and the hard 25 signee cap are both going to help us out immensely. At the very least I think Dan is a good evaluator of talent. The early signing period is going to help him know where we stand with certain recruits. And it will allow us to see where our needs are, it will allow us to not have to worry about someone like Alabama signing someone at the last minute as much, and it will allows us to place all of our attention on the guys that uncommitted. The 25 signee rule is going to eliminate counting back- meaning some coaches on our staff can't say "Oh, well let's just pool up those spots for next year and only sign one high school o-lineman." It makes the spots more valuable- and therefore not using one is almost wasting a spot.

vCash

I still think a lot of that was Loafers not wanting to stretch the budget. Notice how a lot of Dan?s ?lack of fire? as some call it dovetailed with Byrne leaving and ?reignites? with Cohen. Loafers was cheap. I still think that is why Dan didn?t get extended after 2015 - but got more off field staff and some raises for on field staff (as we hired new guys). Loafers would only pay for Dan or more assistant money not both. It?s hard to get things done or want to get things done if you feel like you don?t have what you need to compete. I think Scott had just enough LT bred into him not to want to go above what he thought the budget should be.

vCash
    Our biggest problem is splitting talent between 3 state schools and then our proximity to Bama and LSU. With the downturn of USM and tsun's impending implosion we are set to make a move that could lock this state up for MSU for the forseeable future. I hope we do because IF we can then the sky will be the limit.

ETA: with a couple more wins over LSU like the one this year we at least won't have to worry about them cherry picking too much either.