Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gruden gives Croom a shoutout on MNF

vCash

Gruden gives Croom a shoutout on MNF

...says he's "been successful everywhere he's been, and still is. Former Mississippi State head coach."

vCash
    He drunk?

vCash
    He's a good NFL running back coach. Good SEC head coach- no.

vCash
    I believe Croom has a good history as a position coach, mostly rbs, as an sec head coach not so much.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SailingDawg View Post
    ...says he's "been successful everywhere he's been, and still is. Former Mississippi State head coach."
    I wish more state fans would understand that his time at State was to perform a complete colon cleaning of our program. We were a disaster in every sense. It required we run off a number of players. It required we change complete direction. We all hated the performance and the lack of production. But those results were due to the spiraling 2001 through 2003 seasons.

He was no head coach. But he reset the program when it needed it.

Now don?t think I hated Jackie. Loved him. But a lack of leadership at the top killed our program. Croom takes the blame for it all and it?s crap.

vCash
    But he added after a pause ... "with running backs". I think he was trying to backtrack a bit on his statement of success everywhere he's been, i.e., at MSU.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gravedigger View Post
    I wish more state fans would understand that his time at State was to perform a complete colon cleaning of our program. We were a disaster in every sense. It required we run off a number of players. It required we change complete direction. We all hated the performance and the lack of production. But those results were due to the spiraling 2001 through 2003 seasons.

Now don?t think I hated Jackie. Loved him. But a lack of leadership at the top killed our program. Croom takes the blame for it all and it?s crap.
    It is what it is. I wanted to see him succeed and supported him as much as anyone but he wasn't able to do it. 2007 was a fun season- lucky or not.

vCash
    Thank God he wouldn't fire McCorvey. We might have been stuck with him for years.
    Death penalty or bust!!!***

vCash

Digger you are correct. Hiring Croom did several things and the hire was calculated through the conference office with Slive very much involved. It helped with the penalty phase from the NCAA. It also opened the door for the SEC by hiring a black head coach. Under the circumstances Sly Croom did a pretty good job. A lot of our fans didn't have a clue what Croom was having to deal with. OM just fired Cutcliff because he wouldn't march to the "network's plan." In comes Orgeron and the tactics of the network was off and running. Sly Croom didn't have a chance in hell of being successful. Templeton was loosing support right and left under the general, who eventually fired him and hired Bryne. In summation. Sly probably kept us above ground about as good as anyone could under the circumstances.

Senior Member Perpetual Underachiever's Avatar
    vCash
    Still doesn't know how to wear a hat.

vCash
    I got to meet Croom several times fling in and out of GTR. He was a class act and his conviction for acting right was so very strong. Yes, he was not a SEC coach, or at least st State. But he was a teacher of how to be a respectable young man! We needed him at that time in our program.

vCash
    Damn the spell check on the iPad. Sorry, but you can figure it out.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Howboutdemdogs View Post
    I got to meet Croom several times fling in and out of GTR. He was a class act and his conviction for acting right was so very strong. Yes, he was not a SEC coach, or at least st State. But he was a teacher of how to be a respectable young man! We needed him at that time in our program.
    Absolutely right about his character and integrity. He is a man of values and high standards. Just couldnt get it done on the field. I respect the heck out of him for cleaning up a tough situation. He is a heck of a rb coach.

vCash
    I always loved the stories about his first season, about the bus pulling up at the athletic dorm on Sunday morning. You could either get on the bus and go to church or you could go to the football meeting.......at the track. And how the coaches went to all the players classes on the first day to make sure that not only were they all there on time, but they all better be sitting on the 1st row. He is a good man.

vCash
    One thing for Croom was that he could pull off a big upset, on the flip side he would get upset by a no name team also. I will remember his first game here vs. Tulane I always said There wasn't a team in the nation that would of beat us that night. Croom did have a way of getting the most out of his players when the television lights came on.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fader2103 View Post
    One thing for Croom was that he could pull off a big upset, on the flip side he would get upset by a no name team also. I will remember his first game here vs. Tulane I always said There wasn't a team in the nation that would of beat us that night. Croom did have a way of getting the most out of his players when the television lights came on.
    Who did Croom ever upset that was actually a good team? At a glance, the best upset win I can see is over an 8-4 Kentucky team in '07. It's not saying a lot if your signature upsets are over 6 or 7 win Bama and Florida teams, regardless of the name.

vCash
    In fairness, he added "...with running backs" after a pause to the "successful everywhere he's been" comment.

Banned
    vCash
    I would have loved nothing more than him being successful and still here. he just didn't have it and that's too bad imo. Woulda been a great deal for all parties as far as I'm concerned.

vCash
    I'm sorry. I guess I'm in the minority that thinks Croom did more harm than good. That was a wasted five years.

vCash

This is such BS. I think Croom USA s was a good man, but we could have paid a counselor a tenth of what we paid him. The clean the program narrative is what is BS. Look at the arrests while he was here. It?s more than any other coach. We had a player fire a gun at a vehicle on campus under his watch for Pete?s sake. Revisionist history on the clean the program bullshit.

I wanted more than anything for that guy to succeed. He was stubborn to a fault and admittedly hired people based on skin color vs accomplishments or competence. Unfortunately Incompetence and stubbornness was his downfall, not circumstance.