Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gruden gives Croom a shoutout on MNF

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TrapGame View Post
    I'm sorry. I guess I'm in the minority that thinks Croom did more harm than good. That was a wasted five years.
    Yep. we did a poor job in the evaluation and selection process. we could have had a much more competent head coach that still could have accomplished all the "house cleaning".

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
    But he added after a pause ... "with running backs". I think he was trying to backtrack a bit on his statement of success everywhere he's been, i.e., at MSU.
    I came in here to add this statement. OP left out this critical piece of the quote.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gravedigger View Post
    I wish more state fans would understand that his time at State was to perform a complete colon cleaning of our program. We were a disaster in every sense. It required we run off a number of players. It required we change complete direction. We all hated the performance and the lack of production. But those results were due to the spiraling 2001 through 2003 seasons.

He was no head coach. But he reset the program when it needed it.

Now don?t think I hated Jackie. Loved him. But a lack of leadership at the top killed our program. Croom takes the blame for it all and it?s crap.
    Got rich doing it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bully13 View Post
    Yep. we did a poor job in the evaluation and selection process. we could have had a much more competent head coach that still could have accomplished all the "house cleaning".
    We could have had Jimbo Fisher with Muschamp as his DC. Hiring Crxxm over that pair should have resulted in the immediate termination of LT.
    It's the roller coaster of hope that this program keeps us on that makes it hell being a State fan. - CadaverDawg, 10/15/22

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by War Machine Dawg View Post
    We could have had Jimbo Fisher with Muschamp as his DC. Hiring Crxxm over that pair should have resulted in the immediate termination of LT.
    First, Jimbo wasn't a sure thing to take the job anyway. Second, who in their right mind thinks Muschamp was leaving Saban to come here in a lateral move. Wrong. Just plain wrong.......
    Last edited by Homedawg; 10-17-2017 at 02:59 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by War Machine Dawg View Post
    Duplicate

vCash
    Glad to see that people are looking at Coach Croom in context. Good to see the vitriol gone. I liked Croom and think he did a decent job. Every team that beat us in his last season went to a bowl, including La Tech. Him running off the field carrying that huge MSU flag after beating Ole Miss will always be a great moment for me.

People who say he was a wasted five years should maybe make a comment about the three years before he came.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Homedawg View Post
    First, Jimbo wasn't a sure thing to take the job anyway. Second, who in their right mind thinks Muschamp was leaving Saban to come here in a lateral move. Wrong. Just plain wrong.......
    Nope. Jimbo was begging for the job and was bringing Muschamp. That is directly from his sister in law that was a member of Gene's Page on the premium board.

We could have had Jimbo effing Fisher as head coach with Muschamp as DC. LT chose to appease the NCAA since we were looking at probation. Jimbo would have taken anyway! He wanted an SEC job!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by drunkernhelldawg View Post
    Glad to see that people are looking at Coach Croom in context. Good to see the vitriol gone. I liked Croom and think he did a decent job. Every team that beat us in his last season went to a bowl, including La Tech. Him running off the field carrying that huge MSU flag after beating Ole Miss will always be a great moment for me.

People who say he was a wasted five years should maybe make a comment about the three years before he came.
    That three years was crap added to five years of crap..so yeah...eight years of crap.

vCash
    Nope. Jimbo was begging for the job and was bringing Muschamp. That is directly from his sister in law that was a member of Gene's Page on the premium board.

We could have had Jimbo effing Fisher as head coach with Muschamp as DC. LT chose to appease the NCAA since we were looking at probation. Jimbo would have taken anyway! He wanted an SEC job!
    Oh well, that does it, the ole sister in law!!! Hahaha

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Homedawg View Post
    Oh well, that does it, the ole sister in law!!! Hahaha
    I'll stick by what she said.

vCash

Partially right

Partially right. I know someone closer to the situation than his sister in law. For real. We wanted Jimbo but Saban would not let us talk to him until after his January bowl. No distractions. MSU could not really chance waiting until then to hire but was leaning toward waiting. However, they needed a "Plan B" as a fall back plan. They kept interviewing. Interviewed Croom. Was not going to offer unless Jimbo declined in January. Media report came out saying we had reached agreement with Croom. Not true. To save face, Jimbo pulled his name, which is pretty common. Templeton was asked about Jimbo pulling his name at the Egg Bowl on national TV. He said that was the first he heard of it. Within days, he offered Croom. Yes, I think Jimbo would have taken the job. That's the way the deal went down. For a fact.