Thread: Blast from the Past, Nov 1 1980 (sorry Tusk)

Banned
    vCash

Blast from the Past, Nov 1 1980 (sorry Tusk)

I just think everyone needs a little tutorial on how that game ended. there was no fumble on that last play. Bryant had his nose guard knock the ball out of Kent's hand prior to the snap. line judges saw it and the game was over.

as you can see, my dad was the first fan in the end zone with with his 5th of Kentucky Tavern wrapped in the brown bag. How the hell he scaled the fence before me still baffles me today. he was 6-2, 220 and I was my present 5-7 but at the time was 125 lbs but now at 150 due to vodka and mash tater abuse over the last few decades, I'm the guy in the red shirt following my dad.

I was a sophomore at GWS when Kent was a Senior. He and I sat side by side in a class and knew each other well during that year. When I arrived at the pile of humanity in the end zone, I was screaming "Dogs Win, Game over". there was a pile of humanity who were unaware the game was over and were still fighting over the ball. I was literally feet away from this pile of gladiators. I'll never forget this huge bamer player that I screamed "game over , MSU wins" at. How the hell I didn't get the shit knocked out of me baffles me to this day.

Hull emerges and screams my name and says "WE DID IT!!" and bear hugs my ass , lifting me from the ground and I thought he was gonna crush my ass to death. thankfully I survived.

a year later his younger brother Maury who I forget was either my age or a year younger explained to me what happened on that last play. it is quite clear what happened.

vCash
    No telling how many times I've watched that. Including from the student section that day in Mississippi Memorial Stadium. But it never gets old!

vCash
    Yeah I know Donald Ray King from Ellisville who wound up with the ball. He said the same thing. The nose guard slapped the ball from Hull and the refs saw it and game over. You can see how the ball comes flying up at Bond. What a great day! I was 15 and we celebrated all night!

vCash
    If we beat Alabama going forward while Saban is there, would it be a bigger victory than 1980? I would have to say yes.

As it stands 1980 is the biggest win in MSU history. My parents were really there. I wasn't there because I was three and I was with a babysitter instead.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    If we beat Alabama going forward while Saban is there, would it be a bigger victory than 1980? I would have to say yes.

As it stands 1980 is the biggest win in MSU history. My parents were really there. I wasn't there because I was three and I was with a babysitter instead.
    I think provided bama was number 1 or undefeated and still dominating beating Saban would be a bigger win just because of their total domination in current times.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    I think provided bama was number 1 or undefeated and still dominating beating Saban would be a bigger win just because of their total domination in current times.
    And I think it needs to be mentioned that the Alabama team we beat in 1980 had something like a 36 game SEC winning streak until we broke it.

But I do agree with you. Beating Alabama with Saban would probably help us take the next step as a football program moreso than in 1980. I think it would have a longer and much more lasting impact for us.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post

Not sure. Tough call on that one. In 1980 they were on a 27 game win streak (or something close to that) and dominating like they are now. But, they did lose the final game last season so I'm not sure a win in the next year or two would be bigger than 1980. Close though.

vCash
    Still the best Unis in school history.

vCash
    I was there....

I was only 11 and as far as I knew, Bammer had never lost a game... They'd won 28 straight...

Damn artificial noisemakers**************
    "It is not courage to resist TUSK; It is courage to accept TUSK."

No.

Easy there buddy. Tusk is...well Tusk is Tusk. Tireddawg 12.20.17

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TUSK View Post
    I was there....

I was only 11 and as far as I knew, Bammer had never lost a game... They'd won 28 straight...

Damn artificial noisemakers**************
    way to man up youngster!!! Night Night.

vCash
    I was there. I wasn't three or eleven. As a matter of fact I was married. Excellent game. My wife and I were proud to be there.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by State82 View Post
    Not sure. Tough call on that one. In 1980 they were on a 27 game win streak (or something close to that) and dominating like they are now. But, they did lose the final game last season so I'm not sure a win in the next year or two would be bigger than 1980. Close though.
    They were the two time defending national champ in 1980 and looked to be on their way to a third. They had lost 1 game in 78, none in 79, and were undefeated coming into that game in 80. Their only loss in 77 was in the Sugar Bowl. We basically ended the Bear’ most dominate stretch of his career. We hadn’t beaten them in something like 28 years. Beating them this year would not be nearly as big as beating them back then was. If you weren’t around back then you really have no idea.

vCash
    The only Mississippi State game to ever have 300K plus to attend.********

vCash
    Just think back then the refs could control crowd noise level.

vCash
    I was there Jr in high school, did you play at GHS? We had a bench clearing brawl break out at Greeneood in the first round of the playoffs that next year.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coursesuper View Post
    I was there Jr in high school, did you play at GHS? We had a bench clearing brawl break out at Greeneood in the first round of the playoffs that next year.
    Class of '81. at 5'7'' 125, uh, no, didn't play football... LOL

vCash
    18 year old high school senior. Great memory!

Someone recently pointed out that Dabo Swinney congratulated the Syracuse team on their victory last week. Bear Bryant did the same to the MSU team after this 1980 game.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SailingDawg View Post
    18 year old high school senior. Great memory!

Someone recently pointed out that Dabo Swinney congratulated the Syracuse team on their victory last week. Bear Bryant did the same to the MSU team after this 1980 game.
    yep, Bear did indeed do that. 10 minutes after he told his NG to knock the ball out of Kent's hand prior to the last snap of the game.

LOL

vCash
    I had married a Bear Bryant fan (not Alabama) and had to work that day. It wasn't very pleasant when I got home. We lived next door to a high school classmate of Bear Bryant at that time too.

vCash
    My first college game. I was in 9th grade and I still have my ticket stub! Bulldog for life.
    "Nothing but the dawg in me..." George Clinton