Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pondering our current football status (Long, sorry)

vCash

Pondering our current football status (Long, sorry)

I'm somewhat disappointed in myself for not being more excited about what could be an 8-4 type season in the SEC. I always told myself during the Croom years that if we could ever become a 6-7 win team consistently I'd never complain again. So let me preface the rest of my post by saying, I'm content with 7-9 win seasons as all MSU fans SHOULD be....but that doesn't mean I dont want us to always strive to be better and take another step.

So with that said, I feel like we've reached a point where we're going to beat the teams we are more talented than, and lose pretty much every game against a team with better talent or a defense that can stop our run. Again, that's still good enough to win 7-8 games most years....but what are we doing to try and improve on that so that complacency doesn't set in?

My first thought is, we're recruiting playmakers at WR. I think that is the absolute right call, bc the only way a team with less overall talent pulls the upset, is to have playmakers that can win you games via 50/50 balls and pure skill. I'm disappointed that our staff allowed us to become so bad at WR considering our QB talent the last 4-5 years...that was just a failure at recruiting. BUT, we are addressing it this year and we desperately need to make sure Heath, Guidry, & hopefully Jason sign the dotted line.

The second part of the next step imo, must come via a philosophy change by our head coach. We have been trying to run our Kentucky gameplan vs the Bama's (& this year AU & UGA's) of the world for 8 years and it hasn't worked. Why? Bc our entire passing success is determined on the ability to run. When we can't run, we can't pass. This is only going to become a bigger and bigger problem until we get the better WR's on campus, bc teams are just going to go all in on the run game.

So my question is, what are we (what is Dan) doing to try to adjust & give us a better shot at competing with a Bama this year for instance? Obviously, we aren't likely to win that game. But what is/has Dan been doing to try to give us a puncher's chance? That's where I'm frustrated. There are always going to be 3-4 teams minimum in this league that can stop our run, so if we are truly trying to compete for Championship's, how are we preparing ourselves to beat those 3-4 teams each year? Are we doing anything? Are we trying to revamp our passing playbook? Or are we just hoping that a better raw passer at QB + a few D1 caliber receivers, will equal a passing game capable of getting us to a new level? Because I don't think it's ONLY a talent issue. I feel like Dan lacks the confidence in coaching a passing game, so he gets ultra conservative and abandons all creativity against these A teams we're talking about. That isn't a talent thing, and I hope he's working on that. During the offseason there was an article where other coaches in the SEC anonymously critiqued their SEC counterparts....one coach said Dan was a good coach, but he wasn't hard to prepare for because you know what he's going to run, you just have to execute. That is concerning to me, and shows a lack of creativity and adjustments.

We are never going to recruit well enough to line up and out-talent the Bama's or this year's UGA's & even AU's of the world.....so are we just going to keep conceding those games, or at some point are we going to try something they aren't expecting. I know many of you have sat at home like me and been able to predict several play calls in a row in big games...if we can, Smart can & Saban can, and many others can.

So with everything I've said above being the case....do you ever see Dan becoming more creative or becoming less tight in those big games? Or do you think we just need to accept that most years with Dan we have a great shot at 7-9 wins, which is awesome, but that we won't even be competitive with the top 2-3 teams in the SEC? And if so, how does that make you feel? I feel like I'm there, and while I don't want to get rid of Mullen and lose the 7-9 wins per year, I'd be lying if I didn't say I'm not a little disappointed thinking that despite how great Mullen has done, we probably don't have a realistic shot at winning the West with Dan, but can count on every year being a great year in "MSU standards".

Ultimately, I'm just curious if anybody else is feeling the same way, and what you think about it? Am I missing some adjustments? Because I could be. Again, this thread isn't bashing Mullen, he's our best ever and I don't want to lose him. I'm just thinking maybe we reached that ceiling and it's time to just adjust my expectations and just enjoy our best years ever and the talent we're putting on the field compared to years' past. It's just a weird feeling, bc I'm very grateful as a long time Dawg that knows how bad it can be...makes me feel guilty to say I wish we could make a few adjustments that could give us a little more, because I definitely think we have one of the best coaches in the country. I'm just wondering if he'll ever have the talent needed for us to compete for the West with his system. But I'll gladly take this over years past if not. Maybe these last 8 years are the MSU mountain top.

Thoughts? Sorry for long post.

vCash
    Honestly, the only way to beat bama from our perspective is, play damn near perfect, they turn it over and we take advantage(see ole miss) and/or we get lucky as hell(again see ole miss). They have sooooo much more talent than us from top to bottom it's going to take the Villanova Georgetown scenario to win. And in the past we've done "creative" stuff against them, reverse pass etc etc. it just hasn't worked. I know everyone complains dan is not creative yada yada, but fact is, creative or not, they are just superior. If that hurts ones feelings, so be it. But don't misunderstand, it doesn't mean I want to lay down and not try. Hell 1980 happened, it can again.

vCash
    While I?m happy winning 7-9 every year, I?m not content doing so if that makes any sense. Anyone that?s been a state fan for more then ten years will never take a consistent 7-9 win seasons for granted. What?s been infuriating, though, is that these past few seasons we?ve always just been one or two pieces away from really being elite. Here lately it?s been WR, kicker, and OL. Looks like we?ve addressed kicker and addressing WR and I read on another board that supposedly Hev had a come to Jesus meeting. I really hope that?s true. As for Mullen coaching scared in big games...maybe Megan needs to give him a nice hummer before they take the field to loosen him up.

vCash
    Mullen is a 6-8 win per year coach....he made himself rich being good enough to beat the teams he should beat...I don't think he has the 12 -15 hour per day grind that Saban does , nor will he.

vCash
    It's not just MSU, very few teams beat the BamaS and Georgias . Who can you stick in the SEC west and think they will have a good chance to win it.. maybe, Ohio St --who else? Not frigging many.we are unluckily this year to play the best team in the East. Guess what they will whip everyone's ass but maybe Bama.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Homedawg View Post
    Honestly, the only way to beat bama from our perspective is, play damn near perfect, they turn it over and we take advantage(see ole miss) and/or we get lucky as hell(again see ole miss). They have sooooo much more talent than us from top to bottom it's going to take the Villanova Georgetown scenario to win. And in the past we've done "creative" stuff against them, reverse pass etc etc. it just hasn't worked. I know everyone complains dan is not creative yada yada, but fact is, creative or not, they are just superior. If that hurts ones feelings, so be it. But don't misunderstand, it doesn't mean I want to lay down and not try. Hell 1980 happened, it can again.
    I agree with you, and I think that's what I'm saying....Id rather us lose by 60 trying whatever it takes to win, than to do the same stuff we always do, like QB draw on 3rd and 5 all night, in a 50-3 loss like always. I know we still probably won't win, but why not let it all hang out.

vCash
    I think there is one factor that you aren't seeing when it comes to receiver recruiting, just how many have been purchased out from under us. I'll give you a hint it's more than one. This has also been a factor against us in other positions but most notably at receiver and OL. It is my sincere hope that shatstorm that is about to overcome UNM helps us here.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tcdog70 View Post
    It's not just MSU, very few teams beat the BamaS and Georgias . Who can you stick in the SEC west and think they will have a good chance to win it.. maybe, Ohio St --who else? Not frigging many.we are unluckily this year to play the best team in the East. Guess what they will whip everyone's ass but maybe Bama.
    I see this in response quite a bit, and I'm fully aware that we probably won't beat them....I'm not expecting us too....I'm just expecting us to try to. And lining up trying to read option Alabama to a victory is as good a chance as kneeling it every down on offense. Let's shake it up and see what happens....if we lose by 50, oh well, we're used to it

vCash
    Very good post Cadaver. It is definitely a conundrum feeing like we have achieved a level we all dreamed about and yet feeling that we have plateaued.

As an eternal optimist and sunshine pumper - I?ll try to give you some hope.

1) Dan is still a young coach. He has made many adjustments in his time here and seems willing to learn and grow (regardless of the Hev/Country Club criticism).
    2) some of the needed offensive adjustments are already being addressed. Think about this - Key is our first big time QB recruit. Assuming he can attack learning the system, he has the potential to shatter every record we have. By adding big time QB?s - you are seeing better receivers committing - they know they will get the damn ball. No offense to Dak or Fitz - but neither of them were going to draw big time WR to come with them as recruits. Guys like Key, Maden, etc will.
    3) We are using our resources wisely. We have money, and Cohen knows we need to spend on assistants to make us better. We saw it on D last year. I think we will see it more this off season.
    4) To make the next big step, I really think we need Dan to bring in or promote someone to OC and let them take the reigns. Dan can focus on big picture and QBs.

We really aren?t that far off. But, the other big thing is someone needs to make Saban hang it up. He is strangling the SEC bit by bit.

vCash
    What UGA and AU did to us was embarrassing and we know we have another one coming from Bama. That really puts a buzzkill on the season. We have a good team, but with our simple scheme on offense and lack of playmakers it is what it is. Everyone knows what we are running. I amazed my wife on Saturday by calling plays before they happened. If I can do it, you know Saban and SEC d-coordinators can do it.

As for the future, you said it yourself in your 3rd paragraph, sign some guys that can make plays down the field or turn short passes into big plays. The only other thing we can hope for is that O-line talent gets better or we get lucky on the O-line to the point where we can run the ball against the stronger teams. I have hoped since Mullen's 2nd year that we would bring back a Hemphill/Hanrahan type, but it doesn't look like it's going to happen.

vCash
    I look at what Dan has done which has taken us to the next level. I’m not disappointed, all Coaches not named Saban have issues.

Bama is in another league. What a lot don’t realize is how tough winning in the Sec can be.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coursesuper View Post
    I think there is one factor that you aren't seeing when it comes to receiver recruiting, just how many have been purchased out from under us. I'll give you a hint it's more than one. This has also been a factor against us in other positions but most notably at receiver and OL. It is my sincere hope that shatstorm that is about to overcome UNM helps us here.
    Good point, I agree.

And on the recruiting note, let me tell you guys a story.....I work with the Dad of a big time 4 star recruit in an upcoming class. His son is committed to an SEC school despite saying he loves MSU & our coaches. When I asked him why he wouldn't choose MSU, he said it's because every time Dan & the coaches talk to his son or his 4-5 star buddies, he talks about "building" and "being better" but never talks about "trying to win a Championship". I know that sounds silly, but he said that's why we will not be signing his son or his son's good friend that is also a 4 star. They want to win a 'ship, or at least play for a team who plans on winning one...and despite their praise of Mullen and our atmosphere, they don't think Mullen sells us as a Championship contender, but more of a constant rebuild. And the guy told me, " I know Dan's just being real, but sometimes these kids need to hear that you're confident you can coach them in to winning it all, not just "building" on a mediocre to above average program".

Just thought I'd share that for those interested. I will say this though, he has been extremely high on Mullen's recruiting. Says he and his staff have put in more work and been more effective than every team outside of the one he's committed to. So that's good news

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CadaverDawg View Post
    Good point, I agree.

And on the recruiting note, let me tell you guys a story.....I work with the Dad of a big time 4 star recruit in an upcoming class. His son is committed to an SEC school despite saying he loves MSU & our coaches. When I asked him why he wouldn't choose MSU, he said it's because every time Dan & the coaches talk to his son or his 4-5 star buddies, he talks about "building" and "being better" but never talks about "trying to win a Championship". I know that sounds silly, but he said that's why we will not be signing his son or his son's good friend that is also a 4 star. They want to win a 'ship, or at least play for a team who plans on winning one...and despite their praise of Mullen and our atmosphere, they don't think Mullen sells us as a Championship contender, but more of a constant rebuild. And the guy told me, " I know Dan's just being real, but sometimes these kids need to hear that you're confident you can coach them in to winning it all, not just "building" on a mediocre to above average program".
    Pass the message on to Dan. If that's true, that needs to change. Horrible approach and attitude in year 9 or whatever year we are in under Mullen. Of course every year Mullen says we are young so that doesn't surprise me.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    Very good post Cadaver. It is definitely a conundrum feeing like we have achieved a level we all dreamed about and yet feeling that we have plateaued.

1) Dan is still a young coach. He has made many adjustments in his time here and seems willing to learn and grow (regardless of the Hev/Country Club criticism).
    2) some of the needed offensive adjustments are already being addressed. Think about this - Key is our first big time QB recruit. Assuming he can attack learning the system, he has the potential to shatter every record we have. By adding big time QB?s - you are seeing better receivers committing - they know they will get the damn ball. No offense to Dak or Fitz - but neither of them were going to draw big time WR to come with them as recruits. Guys like Key, Maden, etc will.
    3) We are using our resources wisely. We have money, and Cohen knows we need to spend on assistants to make us better. We saw it on D last year. I think we will see it more this off season.
    4) To make the next big step, I really think we need Dan to bring in or promote someone to OC and let them take the reigns. Dan can focus on big picture and QBs.

We really aren?t that far off. But, the other big thing is someone needs to make Saban hang it up. He is strangling the SEC bit by bit.
    Excellent post. Thanks. I agree, and that actually makes me feel better about things, ha

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by basedog View Post
    I look at what Dan has done which has taken us to the next level. I’m not disappointed, all Coaches not named Saban have issues.

Bama is in another league. What a lot don’t realize is how tough winning in the Sec can be.
    Dan has had one competitive game against bama in 8 tries and that was 2014, Dak's junior year. Bama had a mediocre QB in Sims and we had a veteran o-line. Bama's punter, our 1B defense, and Mullen's play calling in the 1st half cost us that game.

1 other thing that is probably overlooked is really talented corners. That's something that LSU always has and that can really help you against teams like Bama and AU. We haven't signed a 4 star corner since Will Redmond.

vCash
    I get it, and respect that persons take. But hell man croom mentioned winning a national championship, anybody can say that shit. Meh, we weren't getting whoever you speak of because he doesn't want to come here, not because Mullen didn't mention championship

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HoopsDawg View Post
    What UGA and AU did to us was embarrassing and we know we have another one coming from Bama. That really puts a buzzkill on the season. We have a good team, but with our simple scheme on offense and lack of playmakers it is what it is. Everyone knows what we are running. I amazed my wife on Saturday by calling plays before they happened. If I can do it, you know Saban and SEC d-coordinators can do it.

As for the future, you said it yourself in your 3rd paragraph, sign some guys that can make plays down the field or turn short passes into big plays. The only other thing we can hope for is that O-line talent gets better or we get lucky on the O-line to the point where we can run the ball against the stronger teams. I have hoped since Mullen's 2nd year that we would bring back a Hemphill/Hanrahan type, but it doesn't look like it's going to happen.
    Agree. Your first paragraph describes me against UGA...my wife was amazed as I sat there calling the plays before they happened, haha. She even said, " well no damn wonder they're getting killed, they can't even fake you out"...still not sure how I should have taken that, ha

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Homedawg View Post
    I get it, and respect that persons take. But hell man croom mentioned winning a national championship, anybody can say that shit. Meh, we weren't getting whoever you speak of because he doesn't want to come here, not because Mullen didn't mention championship
    Maybe, but we'll never know. As for Croom saying it...I would imagine that message would come across as more realistic coming from Mullen than it did coming from the couch sleeping walrus

vCash
    Not trying to be that guy but Heath is not going to come in and be Eric Moulds for us as a freshman. Hes a good player hopefully gonna be a great one but hes not the big 6-3 220 pound WRs yall are having wet dreams about. Guidry is a burner definite downfield threat but hes not Julio Jones. Dont know a whole lot about Jason to be honest.

Hopefully Jason is a stud but at what point has Mullen ever thrown true freshman WRs or at any position for that matter into the fire. Kylin Hill is getting the most PT out of any true freshman I can remember under Dan. We have guys that can play there, Couch, Todd, Mitchell all are the big WRs we want. This is Todd and Mitchells first year of major college football. Give them time.

We are never going to throw the ball around like Ole Miss does. We are however going to beat them and be better than them for a long time to come. I guess my point is, getting to Atlanta is going to be done on the OL and DL, running the football (setting up our passing game) and defense and special teams. Its the way this game has always been and it aint changing. Name the last team to win a title running the air raid and throwing it around all game. I'll wait

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post

It really is easy to forget how young Mullen really is as a coach. When saban was mullen?s age, nick was winning 6-7 games a year at Michigan State. Hopefully when dan hits his prime (48-58) as a coach, he?s still here