Thread: WR drops

vCash

WR drops

I remember us having a ton of drops last year too. It's no coincidence that this became a problem when Fitz became QB. I love Fitz but he doesn't throw a very catchable ball. Doesn't have great touch, rarely throws a tight spiral, and he has a cannon that puts an incredible amount of force on hands when catching. Now a D1 college WR should catch it if it hits your hands but the drops are equally on Fitz. Dak threw such a catchable ball, Fitz is all brute strength and no finesse. I would imagine a lot of WR corps would have drops with Fitz as QB.

Banned
    vCash
    A receiver makes $50,000 a year in free tuition, room, board, and incidentals that a Division 1A football player gets..all they have to do is catch a damn football.

vCash
    And the quarterback is suppose to throw catchable balls. A football thrown hard that doesn't have a spiral moves differently and very difficult to catch when trying to avoid safety and DBs trying to take you out. It's on both the QB and receivers but starts with QB. Again, it's not a coincidence.

vCash
    Brett Favre threw so hard that he broke some fingers, and his receivers never consistently dropped on target passes. Throwing a hard ball is an excuse for maybe a game or two after a QB change, but decent receivers who have played significant practice and game time with a certain QB should catch his accurate passes. Period.

vCash
    Drops are going to happen, but they shouldnt happen as much as they are with us

vCash
    Just damn, people complain because our QB has a cannon. I guess you would rather have a wiener armed QB, just so the revivers can catch it easier. I never heard anyone complain the Elway or Favre threw it too hard. have you heard of the Elway cross. Go find something else to whine about.

vCash
    He threw spirals and had some touch too. He threw a catchable ball. Doesn't hurt to have NFL receivers either. Trust me, it is part of the reason we have so many drops. It is much harder catching ducks than spirals esp. when the guy throwing can get it up there in velocity.

vCash
    No I complain because he can't throw a spiral and hasn't developed touch on his passes yet. It's pretty obvious not sure why y'all are getting so butt hurt about it. Doesn't mean I don't think Fitz is a beast just pointing out that this reason contributes to a lot of the drops.

vCash
    Y'all are comparing top NFL receivers to 3* college players. I'm not debating, I'm telling you what is happening.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MoreCowbell View Post
    Y'all are comparing top NFL receivers to 3* college players. I'm not debating, I'm telling you what is happening.
    SEC wideouts should catch passes that hit them in the hands. Take this somewhere else

vCash
    Read my original post again. I said they should catch if it hits hands. Still, it is a reason for the drops.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MoreCowbell View Post
    Read my original post again. I said they should catch if it hits hands. Still, it is a reason for the drops.
    And we're telling you that reason is invalid. Talent, coaching, and preparation are all valid reasons for drops. The way the quarterback who's been our starter since practically the beginning of last year throws is not.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutt the Hoople View Post
    A receiver makes $50,000 a year in free tuition, room, board, and incidentals that a Division 1A football player gets..all they have to do is catch a damn football.
    No, they have to run good routes and block downfield on running plays.

vCash
    You da man.

vCash
    I have played college football and experienced it first hand. Notice how Gabe Myles never had a problem with drops when Dak was QB? But now all of a sudden these last 2 years he forgot how to catch? It is one of multiple factors contributing.

Banned
    vCash
    Agreed, Fitz needs to learn touch. Someone get him some game tape on Aaron Rodgers and only allow him to watch that for the next year. Fitz needs to learn how to throw the football without stepping into the pass. It'll force him to learn touch. Learn how to throw it with his hips open and without his feet solidly on the ground. All of these things will teach him touch. He is the equivalent of a closer firing nothing but 98 mph down the gut right now. No finesse and he can't paint the corners if you gave him 100 tries. I think part of the problem is the mentality he needs to be the toughest S.O.B. to ever play QB for MSU isn't beneficial to throwing touch passes. Sometimes you gotta love the throw not **** the shit outta it.