Thread: Weekend Cooking & Drinking Thread: Chasing Cougar Edition

vCash

Weekend Cooking & Drinking Thread: Chasing Cougar Edition

Bloody Mary game tomorrow morning that I'm not worried about at all. They are terrible, we'll over. I think I'm doing a brisket for dinner tomorrow.

vCash
    Just prepped a brisket for tonight.

vCash
    My dad caught his limit of redfish yesterday - I blackened them tonight with some creamy grits.

Last edited by BrunswickDawg; 10-14-2017 at 07:28 PM.

vCash
    Nothing like fresh fish Brunswick. I did that brisket and now it’s white cans and Florida A&M.

Last edited by BeastMan; 10-14-2017 at 08:35 PM.

vCash
    Both plates look good

Senior Member Prediction? Pain.'s Avatar
    vCash
    Hell yes to both blackened fish and brisket. Both look outstanding. Well done, y'all.

I smoked a pork butt (from Cheshire Pork Heritage Farms in NC, for the other food dorks on the board), made some pico de gallo, and sauteed some onions and mushrooms for pork tacos. Worked out great.

vCash
    Damn, all that looks good. We went skinny on the tailgate. We cooked a full breakfast at 7:30, then heavy snacks right before we went in.....nothing to brag about.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    My dad caught his limit of redfish yesterday - I blackened them tonight with some creamy grits.
    What your go-to for blackening seasonings? I do blackened rainbow trout from time to time and usually just throw a mish-mash spices and herbs in a high-rimmed dish and coat the suckers liberally. But I'd be interested to know if there's a specific blend of stuff that you like to include in yours.

Quote Originally Posted by BeastMan View Post
    I did that brisket and now it’s white cans and Florida A&M.
    That brisket looks amazing, dude. I do big briskets a few times a year, too, and am always amazed at how flavorful a cut it is. In fact, I'm doing one this weekend that my butcher dry aged for about a month. I super stoked.

What do you use for your rub? And what wood do you prefer using? I use the Meathead's "Big Bad Beef Rub" as a base and make a couple of small tweaks. For wood, I usually stick with all hickory, but I've had good results with pecan and mixes of either hickory or pecan with smaller amounts of fruit wood, like apple or cherry.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prediction? Pain. View Post
    What your go-to for blackening seasonings? I do blackened rainbow trout from time to time and usually just throw a mish-mash spices and herbs in a high-rimmed dish and coat the suckers liberally. But I'd be interested to know if there's a specific blend of stuff that you like to include in yours.

That brisket looks amazing, dude. I do big briskets a few times a year, too, and am always amazed at how flavorful a cut it is. In fact, I'm doing one this weekend that my butcher dry aged for about a month. I super stoked.

What do you use for your rub? And what wood do you prefer using? I use the Meathead's "Big Bad Beef Rub" as a base and make a couple of small tweaks. For wood, I usually stick with all hickory, but I've had good results with pecan and mixes of either hickory or pecan with smaller amounts of fruit wood, like apple or cherry.
    For my blackening seasoning I usually use Paul Prudhoom (sp?) redfish magic of Tony's Blackening. For my brisket rub I made my own using 2 cups brown sugar, 1 cup garlic salt, half cup pepper, half cup chili powder, half cup paprika, 2 tablespoons onion powder, and 2 tablespoons of cumin. That's approximately. I have plenty of extra for next time I do ribs or something like that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeastMan View Post
    For my blackening seasoning I usually use Paul Prudhoom (sp?) redfish magic of Tony's Blackening. For my brisket rub I made my own using 2 cups brown sugar, 1 cup garlic salt, half cup pepper, half cup chili powder, half cup paprika, 2 tablespoons onion powder, and 2 tablespoons of cumin. That's approximately. I have plenty of extra for next time I do ribs or something like that.
    I googled a blackening recipe that said it was Paul Prudhomes blackening seasoning - but who knows. I had only ever done shrimp and I actually got too much seasoning on the fish. It was HOT - and while I like it like that, others I was cooking for were a little overwhelmed. Best thing I’ve found for rainbows - if they are straight out of the stream - is lots of butter, and some salt, pepper, and white pepper in a super hot cast iron.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    I googled a blackening recipe that said it was Paul Prudhomes blackening seasoning - but who knows. I had only ever done shrimp and I actually got too much seasoning on the fish. It was HOT - and while I like it like that, others I was cooking for were a little overwhelmed. Best thing I’ve found for rainbows - if they are straight out of the stream - is lots of butter, and some salt, pepper, and white pepper in a super hot cast iron.
    I'll second the butter rec. I left out those steps when I mentioned my blackening procedure earlier -- slather each filet in melted butter, dredge in spices, and cook in butter-coated, hotter-than-hell skillet. So, so good. I love smoked rainbow trout, too, but the texture and spice of the blackened version is hard to beat.

I need to tackle blackened shrimp at some point. Since where I live doesn't lend itself to affordable fresh seafood, though, I usually relegate my shrimp usage to shrimp creole (shrimp sauce piquant) and the like.